Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
One solution to this is for more black and darker skinned people to get wealthy and create their own media to reflect them.
And when we do this, the idiots call us racist and separatist. Remember in P and OC all of the insane comments about BET, etc.

Quote:
People are attracted to white/light skin because it's associated with wealth and power in the world. White people are viewed as the rich people in the world. So if more darker skinned people would become wealthy and then create their own media that reflects them, similar to what whites have done,then this would offset this association of whiteness with wealth and power. More darker skinned people will become wealthy as they adopt and implement better economic reforms in their countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is happening all over the world,Asia,Africa,and Latin America.
What do all those continents have in common? Colonization by Europeans.
I have read plenty of poetry pre colonial days from cultures that praised dark hair and eyes,and dark skin.

But these people are forgetting something. Their features still give it away that they are African.
African features and white skin don't mix. So they aren't fooling anyone.

While I appreciate your sentiment, you can't say this either - some people (such as my children) are born very fair with African features. Maybe it would make more sense to say that African features and artifically bleached skin don't mix.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
You've taken the White-guilt bait

The color-thing has nothing to do with colonialism. I am 100% european and my grandmother always said my skin was the best in the family because it was the lightest shade. We weren't colonised. Preference for paler skin has been around since long before colonialism.
You're right - you weren't colonized because your family was part of the group that was doing the colonizing. Preference for paler skin is a European trait, so of course you don't feel that there is anything wrong with it.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Maybe it would make more sense to say that African features and artifically bleached skin don't mix.
Right.

Actually I have no idea about what my family did many moons ago, neither do most other people. Maybe they were fighting against all the bad stuff, who's to say everyone was bad back then. That would be like saying everyone is bad now. Lots of bad people these days, but not everyone. Non the less people need to move on from it. I'd be the first to stand up and fight anyone doing or saying anything bad about Africans, but I'm white. It sickens me, makes me ashamed of my own country to think of what was done to the Indians and Blacks over the years.

I'd like to see good caring people get wealthy, I don't care what their shade. Too many with so much that do nothing for anyone.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM

521 posts, read 763,067 times
Quote:
While I appreciate your sentiment, you can't say this either - some people (such as my children) are born very fair with African features. Maybe it would make more sense to say that African features and artifically bleached skin don't mix.
Yeah like Rihanna. Or Tisha Cambell.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Quote:
Maybe it would make more sense to say that African features and artifically bleached skin don't mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
Yeah like Rihanna. Or Tisha Cambell.
We were talking in the context of bleaching.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
We were talking in the context of bleaching.
I know. but there are black people who are naturally light with strong west african features. so those who bleach wouldn't look out of the ordinary at all. you have dark people with narrow features and you have light people with broad features and everything else in between

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
Every race seems to have a bleaching problem except the whites who want to get darker. Watch the documentary "Shadeism" where all races come together across the earth to talk about how they had to bleach/family degraded them / or was happy they were born lighter because of their culture. Only race was missing was East Asians however bleaching (kojic acid,gluthanoine,fair and lovely cream)in east Asia is common too(why? They are pretty white in color already)

Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I know. but there are black people who are naturally light with strong west african features. so those who bleach wouldn't look out of the ordinary at all. you have dark people with narrow features and you have light people with broad features and everything else in between
Bleached skin has an unhealthy, unnatural look. Different from the skin of naturally light African people.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Bleached skin has an unhealthy, unnatural look. Different from the skin of naturally light African people.
You stated that african features with light skin did not look right, and I mentioned women, who were naturally light complected with West African features. they look pretty normal to me and its not uncommon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa