Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 10:12 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is one huge difference I see between African-Americans and frankly just about any other group. They uplift the values of the underclass as the ideal or at worst worthy of protection. You simply don't see that anywhere in the world where the underclass dictates cultural norms.

It's to the point that middle class black kids will join gangs and brush off school in order to be more "authentically black".
You don't get out much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
You don't get out much.
I agree with his statement find me another ethnic group that puts the underclass at such a high pedestal, I don't know one. Yes their are places with lots of gangs but they don't say you have to strive to be a gangster etc. in the pop culture.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree with his statement find me another ethnic group that puts the underclass at such a high pedestal, I don't know one. Yes their are places with lots of gangs but they don't say you have to strive to be a gangster etc. in the pop culture.
Well, first, let me stop both of you from making the foolish generalization that this is an ideal that all or even most Black Americans subscribe to; especially since neither of you can support it with any facts.

Second, maybe you aren't aware that gangs are a very real problem throughout the Hispanic community, so in no way is this a black thing.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:35 PM

117 posts, read 137,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
People of black immigrant origin are quite active in the "Black Lives Matter". They also have had experience with racist policing.

In fact some of the most notorious incidences of police abuse in NYC have impacted black immigrants. Diallo, Bongo, Sean Belle (wife is of Haitian origin), Ramarley Graham, Akai Gurley, Louima. One of the Miami riots started when the cops shot some one from the Virgin Islands.

In addition, for those who remember, some of the bias attacks of the late 80s/early 90s did impact black immigrants. A Grenadian family fire bombed in Canarsie. A Guyanese family driven out of Flatlands by their white (and Hispanic) neighbors. The murder of a Trinidadian in Queens, and Yusuff Hawkins was with 2 West Indian friends when he was killed in Brooklyn.

So it isn't true to imply that racial issues don't concern black immigrants. What is true is that they deal with racism as it currently is, and not how it was 60 years ago.
Didn't know Sean Bells wife was Haitian, thanks for the into.

There was also another story of a Trinidadian family being driven out of howard beach , but since they were of Indian origin, they got a mix of anti-black, and terrorist hate comments.

I also remember stories of racist attitudes of Italians in Rosedale queens, which now is a majority Jamaican/Haitian area now.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:16 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is one huge difference I see between African-Americans and frankly just about any other group. They uplift the values of the underclass as the ideal or at worst worthy of protection. You simply don't see that anywhere in the world where the underclass dictates cultural norms.

It's to the point that middle class black kids will join gangs and brush off school in order to be more "authentically black".

Exhibit ONE of the black immigrant who plays into divide and rule. The AAs who I know DO NOT glorify ghetto culture, and I suspect you know this, but feel the need to curry favor with whites, who you think might more likely accept you if you peddle this nonsense.

The AA parents of the middle class kids who join gangs will be as upset as the parents of ANY middle class household. I just cannot imagine the Huxtable parents being happy if Theo came in with pants of his buttocks, flashing gang signs and not wanting to study. I do recall the exact OPPOSITE as a matter of fact. Go into the home of many AAs, and the walls will be packed with all sorts of graduation pictures, and pics of some one in the military.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

Another one who watches BET and doesn't know that it is now owned by VIACOM, so peddles images that sell best among adolescents, OF ALL RACES.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
Didn't know Sean Bells wife was Haitian, thanks for the into.

There was also another story of a Trinidadian family being driven out of howard beach , but since they were of Indian origin, they got a mix of anti-black, and terrorist hate comments.

I also remember stories of racist attitudes of Italians in Rosedale queens, which now is a majority Jamaican/Haitian area now.

I have personal experience of the Rosedale scenario. A friend of mine bought his home there. When we were moving him in, his neighbor, and ageing WWII vet looking Italian (if you are from the NE you know the type) came out and scowled, ran back in, and slammed the door. Didn't even give my friend a chance to introduce himself. Within weeks his house was up for sale. The poor guy finally realizing that he was the last white left on the street.

I saw on another forum in C-D some of them launched some hysterical threads screaming how the area is now a "ghetto", when in fact the blacks who moved on, are more educated than the whites who fled.

Around the corner was a Knights of Columbus hall. That too shut down not long after he moved in, and was replaced by some doctors' offices.

True racism isn't just against blacks, but many Indo Caribbean people faced similar issues. Howard Beach and Ozone Park triggered extreme hostility and violence, and even a murder or two. Correctly they became "black terrorists". I think facing even more hostility as a result than immigrants direct from South Asia.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:59 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
I suspect after 9/11 many Middle Eastern and South Asian people lost their "honorary white " card, in situations where some
whites did not know them on an individual basis..

One thing I can say about Italians in my experience, they are very blunt and direct with their racism and will have the nerve
to tell you to your face...so at least you know where they are coming from (not two-faced like many more northern euro rust
belt types.)...After I verbally read one Italian on his racism, we ended up becoming best friends!..He admitted that is what
he was taught but I was the first middle-class AA that he met..and that he was ignorant.

Back on topic, a highly educated Nigerian asked to sit for lunch in a crowded work area at work, he went into the false apple vs. oranges comparison of AAs complaining about racism and not taking advantage of opportunities.

I told him, when you come to this country WE see your best and brightest for the most part, YOU see all of us good and
bad..I mentioned to him the Area Boys in Nigeria why they were not going to school and the 419 scammers who were not
taking advantage of opportunities...

I told him what the media in this country reports and why and what sells in this country and what they DO NOT show
in the American Media...He admitted how in bad shape Nigeria was and he didn't want to go back there to live. I also
told him follow the money and who benefits from negative images..gangsta rap etc.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:06 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Saw quite a few fistfights break out against African American and African soldiers when I was in the US Army circa 2000.

Usually some kind of slur from one of the parties would start it.

For what it's worth the white Americans from the northern united states and the southern united states had generally poor relations as well, at least at the time.

And the soldiers of Mexican descent had problems with the soldiers of Puerto Rican descent (never thought I'd see a fistfight over what constitutes "proper" rice and beans, but damn I did).

Really, you can find this stuff anywhere unfortunately.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:03 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
As an AA...my friend from Ghana knocked on my door at 3:40am. to help break up a fight between a southeastern Nigerian guy we knew and another friend from Cameroon. I didn't even get into the rift between West Africans and East Africans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa