Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
African men tend not to view a woman with a reputation of dating a lot favorably.
Again, what are you trying to imply by your wording of "reputation of dating a lot"? And please enlighten me on your knowledge of my dating history to justify such comments. Otherwise I will take your comments as an unfounded personal attack against my character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:01 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
I would be very,very wary of marrying an African man.
They might have a wife back home.
Lots of scammers too...take a look at the immigration forum.

But,Africans suffer discrimination just like AA.
Otherwise,why are Nigerians the most educated but lag behind Asian Americans regarding income?
Why are most of the CNA's I know African?

Why is the Continent Africa in such bad shape?

Lastly,if you are only here to make money,why don't you stay in your own country?

Users

Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
African men tend not to view a woman with a reputation of dating a lot favorably.
Hmm,they sleep with them A LOT.

So they only view them favorably then,when its time for bed activities?

That must be the reason why Aids is rampant in Africa....men don't like sleeping with women with reputations(sarcasm).

Before you mention it,Aids is mostly spread in Africa by heterosexual contact,not IV drug users or your favorite group to hate,gays.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
My father never cared for AAs. I have difficulty interacting with them myself. We just do not have anything in common.

Yet AA culture is being lapped up in Sub Saharan Africa. I have heard Ghanaian musicians complain that the radio stations play American music more than they play African. I bet that they arent playing heavy metal.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Look. Blacks were invited into the white mainstream in the 1960's, but a lot of them that I know declined the invitation, and insisted on retaining the culture based on their own roots. Arts, fashion, language, the whole lot, and accused whites of trying to force them into a culture that they had clamored to be admitted to for a century. That was their call, not mine.

Simplification. Being "invited in" like the guest who must be stiff and terrified that he might offend the host isnt a true invitation. And given that there is much cultural interchange between black and white Americans who culturally unique are each from the other.

Blacks shied away from whites becaus ethey do not trust how genuine the invitation was, and wanted to maintain a space for themselves as a form of protection. This is a defensive strategy. People just didnt want to think that they were invited, only to discover that such invitations were PC and a valid exchange of experiences wasnt wanted.

Tell you what. Today's white American likes music with a beat and when they do dance it will be an approximation of an African style of dancing. Ball room dancing is now done only by a specific group of people, and European folk dancing is even more rare.

Younger Americans tend to be more comfortable with people who are different and indeed the number of white men who heavily engage in "black" style is significant, and most will be shocked to discover that this is anything other than being a young American. Younger blacks have picked up on this so their defensive about interacting with their white peers has declined.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
It amazes me to the extent African Americans think Europeans dominate the minds of everyone else. Africans are more than capable of observing the cultural habits of African Americans and eschewing them on their own accord.

Yep. Rap and hip hop are completely unknown in Africa (yeah right). So why do women in continental Africa try to look like AAs? Or at least what they imagine AAs to be based on Ebony, etc?

Old 11-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaleAdeyemi View Post
No. .

My tribe the Yorubas were one of the very last tribes to be taken during the slave trade and they ended up in Brazil for the most part, Haiti (the Haitians of yoruba descent of from Benin Republic) and some scant remains in Trinidad and Cuba.

True. You were one of the top dogs who sold others into slavery. Because the area between Benin and Camerfoon contributed 35% of the slaves and they didnt all arrive in late 18th/early 19th centuries when the Yoruba kingdoms were fighting each other, rendering them defenseless against others. And probably selling each other off as well.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post

In addition Africans traded other "fellow" Africans as slaves to each other and to foreign powers, traders, and entities.

Well as the Yoruba guy said he considers Igbos to be strangers. So his ancestors happily sold off any who they could find. And the weaker "tribes" were vulnerable to sale by both.

Arabs didnt go into deep parts of West Africa to acquire slaves. They bought them from traders who were in the Sahel region, who in turn acquired them from the people further away.

When the Europeans arrived the groups "further away" simply switched and traded slaves with people from beyond the Atlantic coast rather from regions beyond the Sahara.

Africans need to accept their role in the slave trade and we need to stop peddling the notion that they were forced to sell to the Arabs and Europeans. They sold because it was very PROFITABLE from them to do so, even as today warlords sell blood diamonds.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I think much of what you're saying is related to coming from a majority black country in general. If you come from a country that's majority black then racial issues like we have in the U.S have never been an issue. So the focuse in majority black countries are on other things. I'd bet the black experiance in the Caribbean is similar to what you're saying because there blacks are also the majority on most islands.

Being in a country like the U.S where whites have been the majority and blacks having to deal with racism and having to conform to white culture has created a different mind set among Black-Americans. Because with racism being aimed at Black-Americans based on our blackness some degree of solidarity with blacks outside the U.S is looked foward to. But those Blacks coming from majority Black countries whether it's an African or Caribbean country may not have as strong a need to connect racially with Black-Americans unless there is a specific racial situation drawing them together.

And this is the contrary poistion that black immigrants find themselves.

Distancing themselves from AAs who they see to be at the bottom of US society, and fearing that they will join them if they get too close.

But having to form alliances with AAs, who are the largest black group and have the most infrastructure to fight racism, as the larger white society sees no distinction between the various groups of blacks. And if you doubt this ponder as to why the US Census allows ethnic/national subgroups among those who are "Hispanic and Asian" whereas those who are "Black/African" are confined based totally on racial and not ethnic identities.

It does not help when AAs try to impose their perspectives on these black immigrant groups either because some one born in a majority black society clearly sees life differently from some one who was an oppressed minority within a white dominant society. Because I proudly wave my Guyana flag doesnt mean that I deny being black, or feel superior to AAs, as so many seem to feel. I can be both proudly Guyanese, and proudly black, and understand that as blacks we confront a system which often ignores us so that (sometimes) we have to work together to confront it.

Bottom line is that black immigrants and black natives need to understand each other and respectfully accept the dfifferences which also exist.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 AM

199 posts, read 160,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
It's not about being admitted into white culture. It's about being allowed to live in peace and having the same opportunities as everyone else in this country...which definitely wasn't the case prior to the civil right's movement.

Exactly. Most black people (myself included) aren't fond of integration.

We want to be left alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa