Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM

59 posts, read 201,784 times

Advertisements

Well, Ohio has good and bad like other areas, but overall I would say I am glad to be back home with the exception of one thing: unemployment is chronic and jobs are scarce in Akron. I was born and raised here. I lost my job in 2006 and it has been a rocky road through and through in my area of professional work. I moved to SC and found 2 low paying jobs marketing for Harley Davidson and another in IT Marketing and decided to look for a job in OH again. I found one, moved back and was relocated by the company-10 months later they started laying people off again. Depending on where you live, I'd say OH like other states has issues with work. But, if I am going to be out of work this is the cheapest place to be out of work and I have family here and great food so it works. Quality, fresh Italian, Middle Eastern, and other culturally desired groceries are hard to come by in the South. The home grown little shops and Italian food establishments are plentiful here in Akron & Cleveland and I love it. So I am glad to be back as long as time allows and hope soon that I find work to keep me going. Our unemployment is closer to 16%-not 7.7% as reported on the news-just so you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Nice to see the thread is still going. I have now been in GA for 3 years, and I must say I miss a few things about Ohio, mostly the people we left behind, but except for mid summer, when it is unbearable outside, the climate here is awesome and I can get to the beach in a half hour.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,740 times
Honestly I would only miss family and friends and that is it. I plan on moving out to Tampa after I graduate college after i visited the city many times over the past couple of years. The climate in Ohio in my opinion is depressing. If the sun is out everybody freaks out about how nice of a day it is because Ohioans are pretty much deprived of even decent weather.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM

671 posts, read 1,547,332 times
I no longer live in Ohio and miss (dearly!) everything about Ohio except for the weather. Ohio is the best state in the country.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
LAKE ERIE
The Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astound View Post
Honestly I would only miss family and friends and that is it. I plan on moving out to Tampa after I graduate college after i visited the city many times over the past couple of years. The climate in Ohio in my opinion is depressing. If the sun is out everybody freaks out about how nice of a day it is because Ohioans are pretty much deprived of even decent weather.
So glad you joined our forum to post such a ridiculous comment.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,740 times
Quote:
So glad you joined our forum to post such a ridiculous comment.
Its just an opinion

Last edited by Astound; 05-22-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,066 times
Default What I miss

I moved about eight years ago to NC and, while I NEVER want to see snow again...like...EVER, there are definitely some things I miss.

*Swenson's
*Rocco's Pizza
*Mr. Hero
*sauerkraut balls (you can tell I haven't eaten my lunch yet today!)
*Giant Eagle
*Freaking sidewalks - sidewalks are rare here. I am forever afraid someone is going to run me down when I go for a walk or that I am going to run someone else over (I have come shockingly close - you should definitely NOT wear all black at night in the rain for your walk)
*Salt on the road (what is this brine crap??? It doesn't melt ANYTHING).
*People who know how to drive! Whenever it rains here you would assume by the way people are driving that you were in the middle of a hurricane. It might be the way the roads are made, however, which would change this to roads that water actually runs off of.
*All of the festivals and fairs and general sense of coming together as a community

Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimmelou View Post
I moved about eight years ago to NC and, while I NEVER want to see snow again...like...EVER, there are definitely some things I miss.

*Swenson's
*Rocco's Pizza
*Mr. Hero
*Giant Eagle
*Freaking sidewalks - sidewalks are rare here. I am forever afraid someone is going to run me down when I go for a walk or that I am going to run someone else over (I have come shockingly close - you should definitely NOT wear all black at night in the rain for your walk)
*People who know how to drive! Whenever it rains here you would assume by the way people are driving that you were in the middle of a hurricane. It might be the way the roads are made, however, which would change this to roads that water actually runs off of.
*All of the festivals and fairs and general sense of coming together as a community
To generalize my experience with NC is that most of the development really skews towards cookie cutter developments without a whole lot of thought towards community planning. I'm sure there are areas where that is not the case but it seems like much of the development around the urban areas is designed with the worst aspects of suburban (non?) planning in mind (to your point about lack of community and lack of walkability).

Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 AM

122 posts, read 482,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimmelou View Post

*Swenson's
*Rocco's Pizza
*Mr. Hero
*Giant Eagle
I agree with all of this. Although I think I miss shopping at Buehlers in Wadsworth more than Giant Eagle. I've been in N.C. for about 20 years now and still miss all those things you listed. I also miss cheap local eateries like Brubakers, Fiesta and Parassons.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
I agree with all of this. Although I think I miss shopping at Buehlers in Wadsworth more than Giant Eagle. I've been in N.C. for about 20 years now and still miss all those things you listed. I also miss cheap local eateries like Brubakers, Fiesta and Parassons.
Me too! I always went to that Buehler's, and I would kill for a Parasson's Antipasto with creamy Italian right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton