Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 AM

16 posts, read 103,426 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm - didn't Russia invade Alaska in the early 17 hundreds?

Nah let's keep it AMERICAN.

AKbound: yes you would more than likely end up in Iraq if you joined the Army. The National Guard are also doing rotations there but NOWHERE no as long as reg. Army My hubby is over there now (AF - Go Blue) and he has met some "nice Alaskans" he says!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Talking Expand Alaska!

I say we should annex the Yukon Territory and add it to Alaska. Those Canadians don't know what to do with it anyway.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:56 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Works for me. Stolen anyway.

...from people who "stole" it themselves.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
This is actually a great thread!

Well, we'd give AK to the Russians but they took it from the natives....but the natives came across the land bridge from China and other portions of the east so maybe we could split the difference and give AK to the mongolians.

Then there is the louisiana purchase, which we bought from basically Napolean....who used the money to invade (among others) Russia. We would need to give the entire middle of the US to say....Serbia....as reparations.

Finally, humankind originated in south African so we'd need to give everything back to perhaps the Masaii tribe and about 4.9billion people would need to take to ships and ice flows never to set foot on land again.

P.S. The elite in Mexico trace the bulk of their roots back to Europe....so by default...Texas etc. would have to go to say....Spain and Portugal and not Mexico.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
I say Washington, Oregon, North Idaho, British Columbia and Southeast Alaska all secede together and make themselves a country that actually values our Native people. But that'd never happen.

Xa'at for PRESIDENT!!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I say Washington, Oregon, North Idaho, British Columbia and Southeast Alaska all secede together and make themselves a country that actually values our Native people. But that'd never happen.

Xa'at for PRESIDENT!!
I'm curious to hear what you mean by "values" or in which way we don't currently value you them that we should.

I propose that the next president must individually hug every native american and tell them "You are special to me."

Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
That's not it at all. I just think that our native people are one of the most marginalized group of people in our society. Part of that is their inability to assimilate to our society, and part of it is our insistence that they assimilate into our society in the first place. It's a two way street. But when you visit a town in Alaska, any town, it's a sad fact that the "slummy" parts are usually the native parts. Alcoholism is far more common in native populations than in non-native populations.
If Xa'at ever became president (not that she ever would... I couldn't handle all the lying you have to do) she wouldn't "hug" every native, she would do what she could to help improve their lot and promote the preservation of their culture.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:07 AM

12 posts, read 19,318 times
Alaska is great. The few great wilderness left in our country. nothing beats living in a log cabin for a week and walking miles through a forest and mountains. ahhh! it an escape from the dirty bustling city, just don't expect to get everything you city dwellers use to have.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
That's not it at all. I just think that our native people are one of the most marginalized group of people in our society. Part of that is their inability to assimilate to our society, and part of it is our insistence that they assimilate into our society in the first place. It's a two way street. But when you visit a town in Alaska, any town, it's a sad fact that the "slummy" parts are usually the native parts. Alcoholism is far more common in native populations than in non-native populations.
If Xa'at ever became president (not that she ever would... I couldn't handle all the lying you have to do) she wouldn't "hug" every native, she would do what she could to help improve their lot and promote the preservation of their culture.
I think a lot of our exisiting laws have done quite enough damage already.
Many of the welfare programs in this country encourage people not to work, not to get married etc etc.
I've seen this myself with my own relatives.
I don't know what to do about alcoholism, it's bad lots of places...

Best of luck.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
While we're giving everything back, let's give the Louisiana purchase back to France!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska