Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 AM

Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times
Extremely Elegant - Very Well Spoken !! thanks!!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 AM

I could post thousands, but I better stop here for now.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 AM

Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I can only afford Canon glass. Can you imagine all the things I could do with some of the real fancy Nikon glass Floyd is referring to instead of the cheap ice-covered throw-away glass I use?
Ray... Canon lenses are fine, and I've never suggested otherwise. Likewise so are your wonderful photographs, and unlike you I am not such a bore as to claim otherwise just because we disagree on something.

But all the great photography in the world is still off topic here if it doesn't relate to "Cold weather camera precautions??". And all the thousands of great images you can post won't make the stupid advice you've tried to foist off here anything but what it is.

However, I do appreciate your need to obfuscate the logical conclusions that sane people will come to when reading what was previously posted. So I did enjoy the pictures. Can't you post something new though? You basically repeat the same few good images every time you do post photography. It sort of suggests your claim to being able to post thousands is perhaps an exaggeration. Do you get lucky and make a good picture every six months? Or are you actually a functioning photographer who can make a few good images on any day?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:07 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
WOW!!! Ray you are the man!! The King of Photographers here on the Alaska CD forum. I gotta get an L lense for my camera. Thanks for sharing your photos with all of us.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM

437 posts, read 815,957 times
Aside from all the arguing here (I really feel for the OP, geez, what must she/he think?), those are really nice pix Ray.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Very good photos you got there Ray!

Some of the people here do take photos out in the cold and are clearly there for hours or days and it would seem would be a good choice for what works and doesn't.

Others drive around in a truck, get out take a photo and get back in the truck yet claim to be experts on cold weather care of the cameras.

The fact that in the winter, when you get back in your truck, you do tend to have snow on your boots/shoes and that melts with the heater on and causes more "Condensation" issues than "breathing". The air heater in a car truck brings most of it's air volume in from outside and that volume of air transfer is so much that just breathing with the heater on is a mute point.

Going inside a house or other warm place with your camera where the water/snow on your shoes isn't that much of an issue. In the winter, most heated places that are in the cold are very dry, people's skin is dry and cracks the skin and whatever moisture that is in the air may be frost on the windows.

Experiment with what works for you.

When around damp areas like ocean oil spills I am working hard, I keep my digital camera in my pocket, but will put it in a ziploc sandwhich bag so the moisture under my clothing won't make the camera "wet", in the dry cold, that has never been an issue.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
If you would like to see PROOF of 30 years worth of work; in a very impressive BOOK Click on that link; and use your mouse to turn the pages.
Very nice photos there! The photos of the people are very interesting as is the whaling shots.

I like the sod houses using the whale bones! For as old as they appear, seems you could still use some of them if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: