Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times

Advertisements

It should be less humid, but close to ten degrees hotter right now. There's some pretty country in Southeast Oklahoma, and in the Wichita Mountains outside Lawton. Gonna be hot just about everywhere, though. If you have weekends free, go down to Denton and hang around Fry Street, on the edge of the UNT campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat lover View Post
false. it's much hotter up in North Texas, due to to the drier conditions and the lack of an oceanic influence. Most areas of North Texas and Oklahoma have been breaking records for 50 days or more with 100+ temperatures. Coastal Texas is the best place to be right now, it's hot but tolerable!
~ A native Texan.
For what it is worth.... Past month I spent a week in Denton, then a week at home outside Amarillo, now two weeks in Houston.

Amarillo was HOT
Denton was HOT, but much more humid and to me.... much more uncomfortable.
Houston is HOT. But the humidity here has nearly sucked the life out of me. This is a special kind of uncomfy, and I will be happy to return home, even though I have had a blast here.

North Texas is much drier, and a few degrees hotter than the coast. To me, it is a good tradeoff, for the OP, I dunno.... OP will have to decide. Amarillo is much drier and MUCH easier for me to handle the (slightly) higher temps, but the tradeoff is being a long way from a big city. Seeing where the OP came from before Tx, I doubt the big city is much of a factor.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
55 here and 67% humidity...a warm one. lol

Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
55 here and 67% humidity...a warm one. lol
You know something????

That does not make it any easier on me...

A large group of my friends have decided we should indeed move up to Alaska, in hopes of finding beauty and cool weather.

But also decided that none of us actually has the cajones to do it....

Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM

You don't need cajones to move here. Heck, I don't have any!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Ovaries are the female equivalent of testes. Everybody's born with balls.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Ovaries are the female equivalent of testes. Everybody's born with balls.
It's probably more correct to say that testes are the male equivalent of ovaries, since female is the default sex in humans. And they're quite different structurally and functionally. So nope, no balls here.

Anyways, what I really meant was that it doesn't take some huge amount of courage to move here. It's not exactly like moving to another town or another state in the Lower-48, but it's not as nuts as moving to another country, either. Lots of people do it for various reasons, and if someone really thinks it's the place for them they shouldn't be intimidated by the distance or logistics of the moving process itself. Visit and see it for yourself, get your ducks in a row financially, and do it. If you're a decent person who actually enjoys work you'll figure out the rest as you go. You only have the rest of your life to regret the things you didn't do.

Last edited by tigre79; 08-09-2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
ummmm.... ummmm....well......

Rarely am I at this much loss for words.... I spewed soda on my monitor though, and had to clean it up.

Quote:
You only have the rest of your life to regret the things you didn't do.
Seriously, you are exactly right on this one. While I have dreams, the ones I have acted on have invariably made me happier, although not a single one has worked the way I planned..... One dream is to live in Alaska, and towards that end I have spent a number of years training up with skills I hope will be transferrable to my first choice of location... Alaska.

If not, I can stay, or move somewhere else, shoot just having the freedom to be ABLE to make the choice is one heck of a great place to be.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
For what it is worth.... Past month I spent a week in Denton, then a week at home outside Amarillo, now two weeks in Houston.

Amarillo was HOT
Denton was HOT, but much more humid and to me.... much more uncomfortable.
Houston is HOT. But the humidity here has nearly sucked the life out of me. This is a special kind of uncomfy, and I will be happy to return home, even though I have had a blast here.

North Texas is much drier, and a few degrees hotter than the coast. To me, it is a good tradeoff, for the OP, I dunno.... OP will have to decide. Amarillo is much drier and MUCH easier for me to handle the (slightly) higher temps, but the tradeoff is being a long way from a big city. Seeing where the OP came from before Tx, I doubt the big city is much of a factor.
Yeah, I was just about to say that. North Texas is hotter, but the humidity is what kills you on the coast. I used to have family living in Freeport, just south of Galveston, and it was hell on Earth. You'd be outside sweating like a hog at NIGHT.

You really should check out Denton though, because the best musician I ever knew went to school at UNT for music, and he said there's a great music scene there. If this guy said there's great music there, I can assure you that there is.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
The race is on with Shipper and Loster on who will make it to Alaska first. Any bets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska