Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:32 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times

Advertisements

Nome started out as a gold rush town back in the late 1800's. There were native villages in the area like the one out at Solomon. So it started off with a good mixing pot of people from all over and that's still reflected in the population today. Some of those original gold rush families still have decendants living there. It's this broad mix of people that makes Nome what it is.

It's your choice for sure. But I'd almost guarantee that if you move to Barrow within a year you'll be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Nome started out as a gold rush town back in the late 1800's. There were native villages in the area like the one out at Solomon. So it started off with a good mixing pot of people from all over and that's still reflected in the population today. Some of those original gold rush families still have decendants living there. It's this broad mix of people that makes Nome what it is.

It's your choice for sure. But I'd almost guarantee that if you move to Barrow within a year you'll be gone.
Your last sentence sums it up Are you thinking I will just be bored out of my mind in Barrow?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Your last sentence sums it up Are you thinking I will just be bored out of my mind in Barrow?
Yes. That's usually what happens. At first the novelty of being in that place is pretty exciting. Then after a few months the isolation starts to sit in.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 PM

Well, it is clear that this forum doesn't think fondly of Barrow and much prefers Nome.

A question. I just saw something about White Preference and that it exists in Nome, but not Barrow.

Is this true?

I had never even heard the term in relation to Alaska.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Quote:
Well, it is clear that this forum doesn't think fondly of Barrow and much prefers Nome.

A question. I just saw something about White Preference and that it exists in Nome, but not Barrow.

Is this true?

I had never even heard the term in relation to Alaska.
Certain people on the forum don't think highly of Barrow, other people love it. I'm one who loved it and wish I had never left, and am thinking of applying for my position and going back.

Barrow is isolated, yes, but if you're looking for fun and adventure of a different sort then it won't bother you. I'm not a drinker or bar hopper so that wasn't an issue for me. Riding a snowmachine to the tundra or taking a ride in a Humvee and getting 50 feet from a curious polar bear are some of the many good memories I have. You'll get out of Barrow (or Nome) what you expect to get and what you put in.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Are the people who live in Barrow welcoming to someone moving from the lower 48? I realize that may be a hard question and difficult to generalize

Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Are the people who live in Barrow welcoming to someone moving from the lower 48? I realize that may be a hard question and difficult to generalize
I always felt welcome but then again I was kind of needed and wanted there, being a nurse. But I didn't meet anyone who ever told me they didn't feel welcome.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Wynternight. I appreciate your feedback good luck with your move if you decide to go through with it

Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Come to Bethel...

(hides from Wynter)

Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Come to Bethel...

(hides from Wynter)
Grrrr...

or something.

Bethel was ok. The job...not so much. Paved roads and a Subway were pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska