Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times

Advertisements

I've seen too much death of people that I was tooooo close to. It is just so devastating..! Then to hear it again, and again (sob).

Roseanne was our star student in Point Hope. We constantly encouraged her to not attend those so called parties. She choked on her vomit!

How many times does this have to happen ?? I was teaching in the youth center one sunday evening. I said see that electric stove. I am going to turn all of those heating elements on so that they glow red. I want one person to come up here and place both hands on those red hot elements. They all shook their heads and said no. I said that is exactly what is going to happen to you if you acquire the habit of drinking alcohol - you are going to get burned !! BAD!!

I sure wish these companies that advertise alcohol would for once run a true advertisement "Look what we did for this family" !!

Roseanne's mom - Rosella, that was the sixth child of hers that she had to bury!! (sob)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM

635 posts, read 1,656,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Nome seemed like it had much more community spirit that included everyone in it. Nome has more of cosmopolitian feel to it, if a bush place can have that. The way the town is laid out, it's business district, etc. It's kinda hard for me to put into words. I included a link to the Nome Nugget newspaper. Take a few minutes and skim through the past 5 or 6 issues. That'll give you a better idea.

The housing market is tight. However this is the time of year to make a move if you're going to. Gold mining is winding down for the season and rentals will start to loosen up.

Recreational opportunities abound. There are three roads that lead out of Nome. That opens up tons of areas to explore. You could hop onto your atv and take a ride out to Pilgrim Hot Springs if ya wanted to.

ALASKA!: Pilgrim Hot springs
I really appreciate this info too. I've been exploring my options for a couple of years now. I keep coming back to Nome. Anchorage is sitting amongst beautiful scenery but...its really much bigger of a city than I'm looking for. I always thought of myself of as pretty touch and rescillient but I just survived the Joplin, MO tornado and I feel like life is too short not to follow your heart/dreams.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Yes. That's usually what happens. At first the novelty of being in that place is pretty exciting. Then after a few months the isolation starts to sit in.
And don't forget the Vampires...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I really appreciate this info too. I've been exploring my options for a couple of years now. I keep coming back to Nome. Anchorage is sitting amongst beautiful scenery but...its really much bigger of a city than I'm looking for. I always thought of myself of as pretty touch and rescillient but I just survived the Joplin, MO tornado and I feel like life is too short not to follow your heart/dreams.
I have friends who also lost homes in the Joplin tornado. It really hit me when some of my family members lost homes in the May 24th tornado in Piedmont, Oklahoma. I've been down there a few times to help them cleanup.

Before you make any decisions I'd encourage you to come visit first. Night and day differences between Nome and Anchorage. Then it's a whole other world of differences between Anchorage and Ketchikan. There is a lot to choose from.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I have friends who also lost homes in the Joplin tornado. It really hit me when some of my family members lost homes in the May 24th tornado in Piedmont, Oklahoma. I've been down there a few times to help them cleanup.

Before you make any decisions I'd encourage you to come visit first. Night and day differences between Nome and Anchorage. Then it's a whole other world of differences between Anchorage and Ketchikan. There is a lot to choose from.
Thanks! You always give great advice. Anchorage does not really appeal to me...mainly due to size. I know that the bigger the city...the more crime...and less of a community feel. I had to relocate to Baxter Springs, KS after tornado and I really like the size of this little town (less than 4,000). Since you are from OK...summers get HOT and I find it quite tiresome. Doesn't Ketchikan have weather like Seattle? Would prefer wide open spaces...mountains near distance (prefer not to rain all the time). I have a BS in Psychology, working as a caseworker in a hospital psych unit (yes...St. Johns!) Can u believe it? Tornado hit my house, car, and hospital. Yikes!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:18 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Thanks! You always give great advice. Anchorage does not really appeal to me...mainly due to size.
You're looking to relocate to a state you have never even visited. Of all the places you could go Anchorage is the most forgiving. It also has the most job opportunities in the career field you work in.

If I was in your shoes that's what I would do. I'd look for a job in Anchorage and then go from there. If you don't like it and it doesn't fit your lifestyle then you can start looking at other parts of the state.

But moving straight from Missouri to someplace like Nome without having ever visited it is almost a recipe for failure.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
You're looking to relocate to a state you have never even visited. Of all the places you could go Anchorage is the most forgiving. It also has the most job opportunities in the career field you work in.

If I was in your shoes that's what I would do. I'd look for a job in Anchorage and then go from there. If you don't like it and it doesn't fit your lifestyle then you can start looking at other parts of the state.

But moving straight from Missouri to someplace like Nome without having ever visited it is almost a recipe for failure.
Stiff...I think you first statement is the key....You're looking to relocate to a state you have never even visited.
VISIT first!....Alaska is NOT like the -48's where you just pick up an move to another town or state....it is very expensive to get to Alaska and when money is exhausted and you loath being in AK it will be even harder to come up with the money to leave...VISIT first and for several weeks..not just a week trip....a week lends to the romance of the beauty of the state ...not the actual reality of living in such a vast, long distance commute to anywhere vs the -48's ....

Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
[quote=soulful;20801572]Is Nome a lot more international? The population from elsewhere.
And Barrow more Eskimo/native focused (which is appealing as I know many Eskimo's are down to earth).
It is just that since the populations are roughly the same I want to understand the other differences better.

This diversity day dream is likely to end frozen in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska