Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 AM

355 posts, read 977,486 times

Advertisements

I'd take Nome over Barrow for two reasons; 1) Nome at least has some growing season, which Barrow doesn't, and 2) Nome isn't dry.

Then there's the prospect of Nome being connected to the road network within the forseeable future, (as in <20 years) although I think one can reach Barrow by use of winter roads from Prudhoe Bay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 AM

213 posts, read 765,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
If given a choice for relocation, would you select Nome or Barrow and why?

The populations are about the same. I am also concerned about the number of open positions at the hospital in Nome. I've never seen so many openings at one time (and I realize they are opening a new hospital soon; however, that doesn't mean you automatically need that many more staffers). Does anyone have any input on the Barrow vs Nome healthcare systems?

thanks in advance
Soulful: I used to live in Nome and worked in HR at the hospital. The hospital is part of the Norton Sound Health Corporation which provides health care for 16 bush villages as well as the town of Nome. When I say health care, I mean just about everything: hospital, mental health, substance abuse, audiology, dental, vision, etc. They have Health Aides and PA's in village clinics with related support positions. In Nome, they have the regular support positions as you would have in any medical corp, i.e. accounting, administration, health information systems, long term care facilities, computer folks, etc. with managers over all departments. You name it, and North Sound Health Corp does it. I may be wrong but I don't think Barrow has a corporation that provides the extensive health care to villages as Nome does. With all the different departments and positions, you will have a lot of positions being advertised since people come and go.

My wife and I interviewed for jobs up in Barrow, and my wife was offered a position at the hospital, but after being in Barrow for a day and a half, we decided that Nome was the better place. Not as cold in the winter and warmer in the summer. Prices were somewhat better overall even though nothing is cheap in bush Alaska. In the winter, the sun is up for 4 hours of light in Nome where in Barrow it is fairly dark for 2 months from what I understand. Someone mentioned that Nome has high mountains; well, that' s not exactly right. The highest mountain just outside Nome is Anvil Mountain which is 1100 feet high - more like a big hill. There are mountains further out from Nome with some pretty scenery. Barrow is basically just flat. When I rode my snow machine outside of Nome, it was nice to have the varying terrain. Barrow is neat in and of itself, and many people love it which is great, but overall for bush Alaska living, I would vote for Nome.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:07 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Barrow is a good place to make a living, and there are nice people in both Nome and Barrow.

During the darkness of winter is what you need to concern yourself about more than anything else, and Barrow has a lot more of that than Nome. During the summer it isn't an issue with the constant daylight in both places, although in the middle of winter it does get light for a few hours during mid day, but the sun doesn't rise. That long darkness and cold really depresses some folks very badly, others it doesn't phase one bit.

Nome in the dark of winter has the Iditarod sleddog race from Anchorage. It brings a lot of new faces to town and really Lightens up the mood! The festivities last a few weeks from the time the race starts in Anchorage to a few weeks after the winner arrives in Nome when the last musher arrives!

But in the summer there are beaches you can run for miles on in Nome, Barrow not so much since there is very little tidal action to build the same types of beaches Nome has.

You can ride out of town on roads from Nome, and enjoy having travel where Barrow is a bit more restrictive. Nome has hills and father back, mountains to go see. Barrow is pretty much a flatland as far as the eye can see with the exception of a Pingo now and then.

Pay may be better in Barrow, but it is because of the place isn't that high on the "To live there" list, so the better pay is the enticement. If that is what you are looking for, the Barrow is your place! If you want a host of things to do rather than play Bingo at night, Nome will be a better place to live.

You may be happy in both places, but like stiff said, go to both places. Big differences in both places!

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:21 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Nome!

Another reason...
Nome's Non-Smoking Law Now in Effect - Alaska Native News (http://www.alaska-native-news.com/article/Rural_News/Rural_News/Nomes_NonSmoking_Law_Now_in_Effect/23308 - broken link)

Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Nome!

Another reason...
Nome's Non-Smoking Law Now in Effect - Alaska Native News (http://www.alaska-native-news.com/article/Rural_News/Rural_News/Nomes_NonSmoking_Law_Now_in_Effect/23308 - broken link)
That's what I would definitively call a good reason NOT to live there. I understand no smoking indoors and no smoking in parks, but flat-out no smoking at all is a complete overreach of the law. I'm really disappointed that they're doing crap like that in Alaska of all places.

I don't pretend that smoking is a good habit, but for christsake, that's an oppressive law. I believe people have the right to put what they want into their bodies, although I won't comment on alcohol in Native villages because I know that's a much more complicated issue. I just think telling there's far too much of people telling other people what they can and can't do, and where they can and can't do it. In Alaska, a place that touts itself as being a place where you can pretty much do what you want, a law like this is just really disheartening, because it shows a trend that the state is moving in the direction of overreaching laws. I'd expect that in New York state, not a state with an enormous Unorganized Borough. But then again I don't guess MOST people in the Unorganized Borough will be affected by a law like this. One more reason to live there, IMO.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
Looks like Palmer is thinking to doing the same. Less government, yeah right.. hahaha

Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
For me. Nome is totally out of the question; I was there once and it made quite the impression on me. I do not want to live in a village that has bar-rooms and condones alcohol abuse.

People do not drink alcohol because they are thirsty - they drink because they want to 'feel' good - THEN the trouble begins more often than naught!

There is enough major problems in the small 'dry' villages with that substance and the abuse - domestic violence is all tooo common!!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Looks like Palmer is thinking to doing the same. Less government, yeah right.. hahaha
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, except in two sentences instead of two paragraphs.

Sity, about the bars, do you think it's possible that the alcohol epidemic could be better controlled if the villages allow and regulate it than if it's completely underground? I know the village situation is different (and that's why I'm asking), but think about Prohibition in the '30s. All that did was create an enormous black market accompanied by lots and lots of violence. One would think allowing and regulating alcohol would maybe help some. Plus I know I wouldn't want to live in a place that tells me I can or can't do something like drink. IMO, that's every man's right. And what's weird is this: Nome allows bars, but bans smoking in all public places! What the hell?!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
I have never been drunk in my life not even once. Every few years, I might get a craving for a beer or half of one. That is my limit. But in the villages it is not that way. If a case arrives; they have to finish it as soon as possible. There is no such thing as tommorrow. According to (friends) a person is not drunk; until they are passed out on the floor, anything leading up to that is just 'feeling high'.

I do not know what the answer is for the problems of alcohol & Natives; all I know is that nothing good ever happens. All I see is people getting hurt every;time that stuff is consumed.

Pot is consumed in very large quantities in every village; the police want that to come through; I've heard this many times from many police ossifers.

The reason being; The village is always so peaceful when pot is in the village; (they never run out). But as soon as alcohol arrives the problems and violence begins. Every few years, it will run dry in the village. That is a very rare occurance. Many people choose this way to support their families as there are no jobs in the small villages.

As long as it is kept quiet and such the police leave people alone but as soon as some one tries to get greedy by importing too much or generating too much traffic, they will play the game of trying to stop that person.

In Point Hope there's about 20 families that sell 'grams' $40 bux a pop.
a 7 dollar bottle of cheap vodka sells for $150. Kivalina it is 50 bux for a small bowl.

I woke up one day long ago to hear the terrible news of a young 17 year old girl that had just died from alcohol abuse. She had purchased a bottle of 150 proof rum and tried to drink the whole bottle by herself - she ended up dead.

Our star student in Point Hope she was so young 17 - she learned how to carve ivory bracelets just as good as my sons work. She was our star student. We all cried like babies when we found out she died @ age 18 from drinking tooo much at a PARTY!

you cannot regulate it. it must be stopped at all costs from reaching these smaller villages. TOO MANY LIVES ARE AT STAKE.. too many of the children are in jail for domestic violence over that crap!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Sity - Very sad, tragic, and a waste of a good life.

And yes, in my career, I cannot remember getting called to a rowdy bunch of pot smokers... I cannot say the same about drunks or people drinking... (Not that I condone pot smoking)

Apparently, "stopping" the flow of alcohol into the villages is not 100% effective. Besides strict laws and enforcement - also comes education and positive peer pressure to not abuse alcohol. As the saying goes when there is a will, there is a way.

I am with you on this issue, I rarely drink and 1 beer is more than enough for me. I don't get the drink until you pass out thing either - that doesn't sound like fun to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska