Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM

182 posts, read 478,526 times

Advertisements

There was a scam in Wasilla. They were posing as a Realtor, a real number, everything. We called as the home was reasonable and matched what we were looking for and seller would cover closing costs so we were set. We set to look at it had our time. Showed up Then the ploy was the Realtor was only there to be a Buyers Representative so the fees would need to be covered by the purchaser as the house was FSBO. There was a sign for a local Remax agent in the trash as well That was my red flag, so I said we needed to go. The house was empty as could be. When we left we returned and I called the Remax agent and sure enough he wasn't surprised another one had happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post
There was a scam in Wasilla. They were posing as a Realtor, a real number, everything. We called as the home was reasonable and matched what we were looking for and seller would cover closing costs so we were set. We set to look at it had our time. Showed up Then the ploy was the Realtor was only there to be a Buyers Representative so the fees would need to be covered by the purchaser as the house was FSBO. There was a sign for a local Remax agent in the trash as well That was my red flag, so I said we needed to go. The house was empty as could be. When we left we returned and I called the Remax agent and sure enough he wasn't surprised another one had happened.
Yes, I have had this scam happen to several of my listings also had a client almost send money to a deaf missionary in the Phillipines. He was deaf so couldn't talk on the phone...all the interaction had to go by email. And he used the owners real name with a yahoo address. He looked up the name of the owner on the tax records. I had to do a lot of convincing to talk my people out of sending this deaf missionary $2000.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM

182 posts, read 478,526 times
I believe I talked you you about one of those scams I encountered in Meadow Lakes are.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:13 AM

370 posts, read 882,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Send a cashier's check to the person you're actually buying it from, that is, or a personal check if they are willing to accept one from out of state. Don't expect the landlord to be a go between. And I guess cashiers checks aren't really the best way to go either since fake ones are being used more and more in scams.

? No. If you're legit, rent a car when you get to FBs and do your own test driving and collecting.

Sorry if you're legit, but this car thing really seems suspicious. But on the other hand, I doubt that Nigerian scammers would bother to create a profile here and post for several years just to bilk someone out of money. Could be just a huge coincidence.
Hi,
Bottom line is I just cannot buy from someone who will not sell to me. Pretty simple. The person refused a cashiers check, he said "cash only" that is when I suggest a direct transfer. So, that person is not even an option to buy from because he seems to be the scammer-minded type.

I am not concerned or bothered if they think I am legit or not, if they do not then that stops everything at a dead end. If they do not trust then perhaps they are not trustworthy, I don't care.

It is a risk to rent without seeing and will be the second time for me. I do not remember if I sent the full deposit last time, (was four years ago.)

Meanwhile I spoke with both potential landlords last night, they do not seem like scammers, not at further phone calls and discussions. One is a private homeowner and the other an agent/owner realtor.

The trickier thing for me is the car purchase but, I am not seeking advice on doing that long distance. Again, it is a risk to purchase and rent from such a distance. It would not be my first vehicle bought without a test drive. It is a risk yet, there are things that I am taking on a level of trust. There were a couple of folks I decided withing moments of talking to them that I would not even consider it. Just a gut feeling.

Gen

Last edited by Gennaver; 10-06-2011 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Yes, I have had this scam happen to several of my listings also had a client almost send money to a deaf missionary in the Phillipines. He was deaf so couldn't talk on the phone...all the interaction had to go by email. And he used the owners real name with a yahoo address. He looked up the name of the owner on the tax records. I had to do a lot of convincing to talk my people out of sending this deaf missionary $2000.
What a mess.

Is this for renters too or mostly buyers? My realtor/owner/agent has a website and has had that website for years. I remember seeing the same property(ies) for rent 4 years ago when I first expected to go to FB so that gives her a little continuity versus a scammer. I definately am keeping a tight limit on who I will rent from though.

Gen
p.s. they have not been available for rent the whole time and this current one was not available last week, the people just moved out of one place to another one of hers and she hasn't removed the 'unavailble' sign off the listing yet

Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
It isn't just prospective tenants who need to be careful on Craigslist.

There's a scam going around targeting landlords these days. One of the more common ones involve the purchase of a car and "transferring of funds".

No, you don't "transfer funds" when buying a car from a distance. You send them a cashier's check.

Any more questions?
My bank doesn't send paper cashiers checks, (it is mostly online banking.) Sometimes people don't like that so, it limits who and how I can buy from. It isn't a problem for me as I 'get it' that folks aren't used to this unless they know my bank.

Gen

Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times
Gen... sounds to me that you are taking every precaution you can being so far away... Trust is such a hard thing when most are out to scam and take advantage of the "trusting"... I know I trust to a fault but I have those same "gut" feelings at times and it has served me well... I can't wait to hear good news... it is so very difficult to make such a life changing move... I know but I'm confident you will make it work. I'm going from a home I've owned for 23 years to renting so life changes and let the adventures begin right??

Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hi,

I am not concerned or bothered if they think I am legit or not, if they do not then that stops everything at a dead end. If they do not trust then perhaps they are not trustworthy, I don't care.

Gen
With the scams on CL, I don't see how you can blame anyone for being wary, and it's rather silly to say that people who aren't willing to trust a complete stranger w/regards to a CL transaction is untrustworthy themselves.

So what if someone decided to sell you a car? How would they be paid? A direct transfer to their bank? They'd have to give you their account number in that case, right?

Right.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,687 times
Quote:
Send a cashier's check to the person you're actually buying it from, that is, or a personal check if they are willing to accept one from out of state. Don't expect the landlord to be a go between. And I guess cashiers checks aren't really the best way to go either since fake ones are being used more and more in scams.

? No. If you're legit, rent a car when you get to FBs and do your own test driving and collecting.

Sorry if you're legit, but this car thing really seems suspicious. But on the other hand, I doubt that Nigerian scammers would bother to create a profile here and post for several years just to bilk someone out of money. Could be just a huge coincidence.
Yea, what she said. Rent a car when you get here and find/test drive your own car.

The scammers are using real houses. Was it someone here even that looked up the tax records for one and it seemed legit but was still a scam?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
With the scams on CL, I don't see how you can blame anyone for being wary, and it's rather silly to say that people who aren't willing to trust a complete stranger w/regards to a CL transaction is untrustworthy themselves.

So what if someone decided to sell you a car? How would they be paid? A direct transfer to their bank? They'd have to give you their account number in that case, right?

Right.
Hi,
No blame, just acceptance. If they do not want to sell then that just stops the sale or purchase. They can do whatever they want. However, edit to add because I'd overlooked. If I suspect someone as being possible untrustrustworthy because they choose not to consider selling to me after having spoke with me, what do they care? I figure that we all project a bit of ourselves and if after speaking with me they project suspicions then, I suspect they may be suspicious. No matter, it doesn't phase me a bit. Its their life, their choice and I'm moving on.

Jen/Gen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska