Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 AM

370 posts, read 885,690 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So far the information shared regarding cars and driving has been very helpful, thank you.

Next, I am trying to find my housing before arrival. I'm looking at the classifieds of the Daily Miner online and also Craigslist.

One that seems interesting is furninshed apatment, with all utitlities included, in a rural house, (in Chicago it'd be called an in-law apartment.)

It is on Roland road and I can see by the map it looks just west of the airport.

My question is about my commute to to the complete other side of town, is it reasonable? I'm thinking it should be because it doesn't look like that many miles and the Chena road seems like a major road as does Roland, right?

Otherwise I was looking at effeciencies in town with all utilities included. However, my days of living too close to bars with college-aged revelers and also in low rent apartments with rowdy neighbors taught me a lesson, I don't want to do that again. My last few years I've enjoyed my mature neighbors in apatments and duplexes and while renting houses.

Thank you,
Gen/Jen
p.s. the one I was looking at was posted on craigslist yesterday for $900. a month on Roland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM

275 posts, read 581,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hello,

My question is about my commute to to the complete other side of town, is it reasonable? I'm thinking it should be because it doesn't look like that many miles and the Chena road seems like a major road as does Roland, right?
Not sure I'd call either a major road, however I am not sure what your definition of major road is. Both Chena Pump Road and Roland Road are paved and support two-way traffic.

As far as getting across town, it's fairly easy and quick. Depending on where you will be working, you can head from Chena Pump to Geist to the Johansen expressway, a straight shot. The other choice is getting on the Parks Highway and heading to the south side of town on the Mitchell expressway. It's about 8-9 miles from where you are to the Steese Hwy on the other side of town. Should take around 15 mins. The only thing I don't know is how hard the left turn onto Chena Ridge from Roland would be during the morning commute.

I used to live about 2 miles away, just off of Chena Pump Road and Dartmouth. It took me about 10-15 mins to get to the front gate of Fort Wainwright, however I had a right turn onto Chena Pump Road. I normally headed south on the Parks to the Mitchell and North on the Steese to the main gate. While coming down airport way was shorter, there are many more traffic lights along the way and more cars.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Not sure I'd call either a major road, however I am not sure what your definition of major road is. Both Chena Pump Road and Roland Road are paved and support two-way traffic.

As far as getting across town, it's fairly easy and quick. Depending on where you will be working, you can head from Chena Pump to Geist to the Johansen expressway, a straight shot. The other choice is getting on the Parks Highway and heading to the south side of town on the Mitchell expressway. It's about 8-9 miles from where you are to the Steese Hwy on the other side of town. Should take around 15 mins. The only thing I don't know is how hard the left turn onto Chena Ridge from Roland would be during the morning commute.

I used to live about 2 miles away, just off of Chena Pump Road and Dartmouth. It took me about 10-15 mins to get to the front gate of Fort Wainwright, however I had a right turn onto Chena Pump Road. I normally headed south on the Parks to the Mitchell and North on the Steese to the main gate. While coming down airport way was shorter, there are many more traffic lights along the way and more cars.
This is helpful, thank you. Yes indeed, a paved road that goes two ways is what I was thinking. Glad to know the time line, I was underestimating how long the drive would be based on the mapped mileage, (thought it looked like six miles but, in all honesty I do not know how far down Roland street the house is! It could be miles or just a bit.)

Just waiting to hear back from the homeowner now.

Will see!
Jen

Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,918,892 times
Be careful on Craigs List. I too have been looking for a new place and there are several "too good to be true" places where the owner is away in China or other places, on extended honeymoon, work transfered, etc. They send you an application via email....asking all sorts of stuff.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Be careful on Craigs List. I too have been looking for a new place and there are several "too good to be true" places where the owner is away in China or other places, on extended honeymoon, work transfered, etc. They send you an application via email....asking all sorts of stuff.
Yes I agree about craigslist! I didnt' catch on right away but I have 2 updates on my craigslist searches.

One is for housing and one is for car.

The housing, I spoke with the homeowner(s) that have a first floor in-law style apartment. Well, I spoke with the wife. She offered advice on cars and expressed concern for a newcomer arriving in December and wanted to make sure that I knew exactly what I was in for. I liked that she was genuine about it. They have been there for 44 years and I gave her my references phone #s and then called my references to let them know to expect a call, (my references are my current and former landlords.)

I asked permission to google the map to see the area and actually saw the specific house and lot so I feel like that validates their 'real-ness.'

Car-had two possible leads and asked the sellers if they minded if my potential new landlords did a test drive or looked at it and then I'd have to transfer my funds from bank to bank. The two agreed and a third just refused fully claiming fraud. Later someone pointed out to me that perhaps it was the seller who was fraudulent. I hadn't thought of that!

Before I ask my potential new landlords if they will look at, test drive and collect a car for me I want to be near certain that it is the car I will get.

I am down to a 98 Toyota 4Runner and a 94 Jeep Cherokee. The 4Runner is a manual which I prefer and is fully winterized with autostart and will need brake pads soon.

Gen
p.s. so my option of driving up is gone, as it would take two weeks if I have good weather the whole way and over 700 bucks in gas and the flight is half the cost. I need to save time and cost for now...perhaps I will just have to drive and take the train during the summer months all I can!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,892,975 times
Gen... great that you're finding a lot out in your adventure... I have found that most of the time the people I've wrote to are very concerned and afterall your success will mean a rental income for a long term for them... I can't wait to be in my final stages in my move and good luck and blessings to you both..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,060,181 times
I will repeat the warning about being careful to send money to landlords without being sure they are real. They will use real houses and their emails will seem real but they will often be out of town...don't send them a deposit if they are not in Fairbanks.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,964,179 times
It isn't just prospective tenants who need to be careful on Craigslist.

There's a scam going around targeting landlords these days. One of the more common ones involve the purchase of a car and "transferring of funds".

No, you don't "transfer funds" when buying a car from a distance. You send them a cashier's check.

Any more questions?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM

20,329 posts, read 37,375,897 times
A 2-bedrrom apartment with a garage for your car should cost from $1,100 to perhaps $1,400 per month in Fairbanks. Also, the same amount of cash as a security deposit. You may have to pay for electricity in some places, too.

And believe me when I tell you that one has to be crazy to send money without looking at the place first and agreeing to a contract with the landlord. There are just but a very few places open for rent in Fairbanks, and these will be expensive unless it's a dump.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,964,179 times
Send a cashier's check to the person you're actually buying it from, that is, or a personal check if they are willing to accept one from out of state. Don't expect the landlord to be a go between. And I guess cashiers checks aren't really the best way to go either since fake ones are being used more and more in scams.

Quote:
Before I ask my potential new landlords if they will look at, test drive and collect a car for me I want to be near certain that it is the car I will get.
? No. If you're legit, rent a car when you get to FBs and do your own test driving and collecting.

Sorry if you're legit, but this car thing really seems suspicious. But on the other hand, I doubt that Nigerian scammers would bother to create a profile here and post for several years just to bilk someone out of money. Could be just a huge coincidence.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-05-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska