Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
What's wrong with a cashiers check sent overnight??
Nothing, as long as it's from a legit. U.S. based bank. There are some scams involving fake cashier's checks out there but they usually come from overseas. I wouldn't just cash a cashier's check anyway but rather deposit it and wait for it to clear. Sometimes the tellers can't tell if they are real or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
I owned several retail businesses in a small town for most of a decade, and I never, NEVER accepted a mailed in cashier's check. Never accepted one over the counter either, unless it was drawn on either of the local banks, who would vouch for the authenticity of the checks before I accepted them.

But then, no one would take the time to get a cahsier's check from a bank two blocks away when they could hand me the cash instead.

My accountant, and my banker both insisted on the "no cashier's checks" thing because of the high incidence of forged cashier's checks.

Same went for money orders, the only ones I ever accepted through my online business were postal money orders, as other flavors were a bit more likely to be forged.

It is a terrible thing to not trust something as simple and long lived as the cashier's check, but that is where the world is now. Admittedly it is much more inconvenient to NOT accept that as a form of payment, but not near as inconvenient as losing several thousand dollars to a forged cashier's check.

Yes it is pretty sad when you can't trust something that's been around a long time.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nothing, as long as it's from a legit. U.S. based bank. There are some scams involving fake cashier's checks out there but they usually come from overseas. I wouldn't just cash a cashier's check anyway but rather deposit it and wait for it to clear. Sometimes the tellers can't tell if they are real or not.
I'd deposit it also and let it clear. I would not, under any circumstances, give my bank account number.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM

You can also ask the teller to call in the routing number on a cashier's check. That would be a huge hassle, though, for someone in business, so I don't blame losttechnician for not accepting them. And apparently they can actually take a while to clear.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Apparently the scam works like this:

Quote:
Attention car sellers: A common scam by phony used-car buyers can leave you with you with an empty bank account and no way out.

The newest version of this scam: The "buyer" wants your bank account number or PayPay email to send you money for your car. Sounds safe enough, but a "problem develops with your bank or PayPal not releasing the funds." Your are instructed to go to a FAKE Web site that looks legitimate but in fact asks you for your account info, including password. If you do it, your account will soon be cleaned out.
And again, I'm not saying that the OP is involved in this, just that there are lots of people out there who are.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 AM

370 posts, read 882,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Apparently the scam works like this:

And again, I'm not saying that the OP is involved in this, just that there are lots of people out there who are.
You mean, the people let their car go before the funds are verified as received by their own bank? Well, that is silly. May as well be taking a hand written note.

For what it is worth, the second car seller is no longer returning my calls.

edit: however I just emailed her with my new Fairbanks landlord's idea, which is:

Ask the car owner to bring her car to the local Fai dealer/shop for an inspection, (my cost of course) and once they give the all clear, then transfer funds while the vehicle is in the shop. That way when the owner has confifrmation of funds deposit then she can leave the keys with the dealer and I can either have work done as needed or I can pick it up when I get there.

I hadn't really thought that someone would be selling a non-existant car, not a local person, (I'd asked if I could have someone test drive it so, not sure how they would test drive an imaginary car but...well, I do like the idea of having the car and keys safe at a dealer before I transfer funds. A funds transfer is instant though so they would know from their bank immediately, it wouldn't take any time but, they could wait at the car dealer for that minute before turning the keys over.)

Gen
p.s. besides if you have the account number to transfer in that has nothing to do with taking out...I'd transferred payments regularly for my rent and when a friend purchased tickets out of her account, (ticketmaster) I do not know what kind of bank allows someone to make a withdraw of any amount with only the routing numbers and account...thats crazy, no verification?

Last edited by Gennaver; 10-07-2011 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: the p.s. and my new landlord's idea

Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 AM

370 posts, read 882,938 times
Oh.

I just clicked the CL scammer information and see that one of the ads I read is nearly verbatum to one that is an verified scam with the exception of the state the vehicle is being sold.

Luckily it is easy to see it was a scam but, it is still an active scam.

So, according to them, no one should sell to a far away buyer, (I am out of state.)

So, apparently CL is of no use to me then?
What a waste of time.
Jen
p.s. excpet I found my apartment and landlord through it but, it seems unlikely that anyone will sell a car...wait, or is it that we are not supposed to 'buy' a car, that is a whole different story.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Gennaver... what a crazy mess hey... I use PayPal and from my end to their PayPal Account. I don't fall for any email sent saying there is something wrong because I've had my account secure for many years due to an old online business. Never had any issues with money being withdrawn with any of my online customers... they got their product, I got my money... or I ordered product and was confirmed immediately on payment.

Good luck Gen...

Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Oh.

I just clicked the CL scammer information and see that one of the ads I read is nearly verbatum to one that is an verified scam with the exception of the state the vehicle is being sold.

Luckily it is easy to see it was a scam but, it is still an active scam.

So, according to them, no one should sell to a far away buyer, (I am out of state.)

So, apparently CL is of no use to me then?
What a waste of time.
Jen
p.s. excpet I found my apartment and landlord through it but, it seems unlikely that anyone will sell a car...wait, or is it that we are not supposed to 'buy' a car, that is a whole different story.

What's unlikely is that anyone is going to give you their bank account number.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Gennaver... what a crazy mess hey... I use PayPal and from my end to their PayPal Account. I don't fall for any email sent saying there is something wrong because I've had my account secure for many years due to an old online business. Never had any issues with money being withdrawn with any of my online customers... they got their product, I got my money... or I ordered product and was confirmed immediately on payment.

Good luck Gen...
So? I order stuff on E-Bay all the time, and pay with it through Pay Pal. But I still wouldn't give a complete stranger my bank account number, especially one like Gennaver who seems to be so insistent that a "transfer of funds" is the only way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska