Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,563 times

Advertisements

Dammit I'm jealous. I want an owl too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Okay, yours was better. I just did a C&P job and sent it off to the DHS. That place is jam-packed with paranoid freaks, so expect a visit real soon.

Hell, they just might drop a bomb on your home and call it a day.
They are not THAT paranoid. After all, I have already reported everyone with an Afghan Hound and a Persian Rug in a 1,000 mile radius of Wasilla to Homeland Security, and I have not read about any arrests or suspicious bombings ... yet.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Dammit I'm jealous. I want an owl too.
No, you really do not want an owl. Trust me on this. If you ever reach the point where wild owls start showing up on your doorstep (or doggy-door in my case), then you already have a serious mouse, shrew, and/or vole infestation.

My biggest problem is that I have been keeping my household trash in my garage until I take it to the landfill once a month. That is attracting the mice. Then they go from my garage into my house. So I have to put everything (especially the dog food) into plastic containers, buy wire-shelving, and mouse-proof my home as much as possible. I am continually cleaning up after these incontinent bastards and I am sick of it.

This spring I will build a shed, away from the house, where I can store my household trash until I take it to the landfill. I am also considering buying a Garden Defense Wind-Action Owl and putting it in front of the doggy-door (Peppe gave me the idea. ).

Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,019 times
Glitch, you need a cat!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 AM

164 posts, read 282,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

I am still waiting for my invitation to Hogwarts.
Love it! I was thinking that there would be some jealous Harry Potter fans. I absolutely love owls...but I rarely see them. The one close encounter I had was during a heat wave last summer. I went to let my dogs out around 5am and I saw two juvenile barred owls bathing in my daughter's pool. They weren't alarmed at all by me or my dogs. I saw the mother up in a tree above. Beautiful birds. Black eyes and moon shaped face. They actually hung out around the pool the rest of the morning--even after the sun came up. It was a great experience. I haven't seen them since.

There is an owl that hangs out close to my house that I hope to see up close one day. Its call is very eerie.....sort of sounds like a woman screaming. I caught sight of him perched in a tree outside my window one night, but could only see its silhouette.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Blizzard (my female Alaskan Husky) does not even know the owl exists ... yet. She is completely oblivious to his presence. Buddy (my male Boerboel), on the other hand, notices the owl often before I do. He is naturally curious, but would not harm the owl even if he could, and I do not allow him to get close. Blizzard is the one I am concerned about. If she did notice the owl, she would most likely try to kill it if she could. Thankfully Peppe appears smart enough to stay out of everyone's reach. Except when he is making a kill, Peppe never drops below 8 feet in altitude (I have a vaulted ceiling that is 15 feet above the floor at its peak).

I am still waiting for my invitation to Hogwarts.
Oh too funny Didn't know you were magical hey Glitch lol... of course once you do get rid of the mice population the visits might stop but what a great experience until then. or like you stated spring... he will definitely need to find that female then.. just as long as he doesn't bring the family next winter right?...

Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Glitch, you need a cat!
A cat would not survive Blizzard.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaRose View Post
Love it! I was thinking that there would be some jealous Harry Potter fans. I absolutely love owls...but I rarely see them. The one close encounter I had was during a heat wave last summer. I went to let my dogs out around 5am and I saw two juvenile barred owls bathing in my daughter's pool. They weren't alarmed at all by me or my dogs. I saw the mother up in a tree above. Beautiful birds. Black eyes and moon shaped face. They actually hung out around the pool the rest of the morning--even after the sun came up. It was a great experience. I haven't seen them since.

There is an owl that hangs out close to my house that I hope to see up close one day. Its call is very eerie.....sort of sounds like a woman screaming. I caught sight of him perched in a tree outside my window one night, but could only see its silhouette.
Owls are territorial, so you may yet get your chance to see him up close. I have seen only a couple owls from a distance when I lived in the lower-48, but this is the first owl I have seen in Alaska.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times

Owl love for a dog - YouTube

Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Very bizarre. I was a little concerned for the dog. Those talons are sharp and can do some serious damage, even on a chick. The owl was definitely a pet, you can see the banding on its legs, but that was still very strange. I have never seen anything like that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska