Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:37 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,783,434 times

Advertisements

Its a "BarkingOwl" ! I'd recognize that face anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Maybe he is a Halloween owl. Wonder if it was a Snow Owl?

Snowy Owl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Even as a juvenile he had some impressive talons. I decided that I did not want to get that close. I stayed at least six feet away from him at all times. Just close enough to get a good look.

Snowy Owls also have those big golden yellow eyes, even immature ones.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:43 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
LOL good one! BTW where has he been?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No, Buddy ate my camera.

He was certainly cute, and I am glad he was unharmed, but I still have doubts about what kind of owl he could have been. The most striking feature on him was his eyes. Every owl I have seen before has big golden yellow eyes. I have never seen one that was pitch black.
oh darn that's right you told me about the camera being a chew toy!...oh...we have a small owl around here that has black eyes but I'm not sure what it's official name is....not sure if there in AK or not...

Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
I think you have one of these guys. Just compare your photo with this adult.

Barred Owl Hooting - YouTube

Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM

okay just did some checking an you seem to have had a visit by the newest rare owls to be seen in Alaska! the Barred Owl which is what I thought it was but didn't think they were in AK...guess what??!!! they are
The latest word on Alaska birds

Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
oh darn that's right you told me about the camera being a chew toy!...oh...we have a small owl around here that has black eyes but I'm not sure what it's official name is....not sure if there in AK or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I think you have one of these guys. Just compare your photo with this adult.

Barred Owl Hooting - YouTube
Quote:
okay just did some checking an you seem to have had a visit by the newest rare owls to be seen in Alaska! the Barred Owl which is what I thought it was but didn't think they were in AK...guess what??!!! they are
The latest word on Alaska birds
That is what I think he was as well, I can find no other grey/white/brown owl with pure black eyes. As this website indicates, their range only goes as far as British Columbia, it does not even reach the Yukon Territory.

So either I have misidentified this owl, or they need to extend its range into south central Alaska.

Barred Owl - Strix varia - Information, Pictures, Sounds

Old 10-29-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
That is what I think he was as well, I can find no other grey/white/brown owl with pure black eyes. As this website indicates, their range only goes as far as British Columbia, it does not even reach the Yukon Territory.

So either I have misidentified this owl, or they need to extend its range into south central Alaska.

Barred Owl - Strix varia - Information, Pictures, Sounds
notify the local bird watchers and someone will come out to try and locate the feathery little fellow to confirm....I have gone on many a bird hunts for a bird someone spotted that was "out of the norm" for the area! it is fun.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
notify the local bird watchers and someone will come out to try and locate the feathery little fellow to confirm....I have gone on many a bird hunts for a bird someone spotted that was "out of the norm" for the area! it is fun.
I have been calling the statewide "Rare Bird Alert" phone number for the last 20 minutes and all I get is a busy signal. I will try again later.

Rare Bird Alerts for North America | birding .com

Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I have been calling the statewide "Rare Bird Alert" phone number for the last 20 minutes and all I get is a busy signal. I will try again later.

Rare Bird Alerts for North America | birding .com
oh please keep trying the number! they will greatly appreciate the notice....hubby and I have driven 6 hrs to a place in Maine to help look for and photograph a rare owl for the rare bird society group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska