Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

I knew when I moved to the valley that I would be living with wild critters, I just did not expect them to be living in my home.

I awakened yesterday to find this little guy perched on my TV.

My very first thought was "How did you get there?"

The best I can figure out, since all the windows and doors were closed, that he came threw the doggy-dog, and he must have done so at night when the dogs were sleeping with me in my bedroom.

He appeared to be a juvenile, only about 6" to 7" tall, primarily grey with some white and a little brown, and pitch black eyes.

He flew around the room a few times, perching on my DVD case for awhile, then in my pantry. He was deathly silent the entire time, even when he flew. My dogs never noticed him.

I opened the door to my outside porch, but he was not interested in leaving just yet. I left him in the pantry, and put the dogs downstairs when I left for work.

After I returned home about 9 hours later, I left the dogs downstairs, and sure enough, he was still perched in the pantry. When I opened my porch door this time he flew right out. He did not need any encouragement from me. He perched in a tree about 30 feet from the house and looked back at me standing on the porch.

I looked him up to see what kind of owl he was, but what he most looked liked does not live in Alaska. At first I thought it might have been a Western Screech Owl. The coloring is the same, and they are not big owls, but the eyes were not right. Then I thought, maybe a Boreal Owl. There are lots of them in Alaska, but once again the eyes are yellow on Boreal Owls. The only owl I could find with pure black eyes was the Barred Owl, but if he was one, then he was way outside his normal territory and they do not migrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
oh such a cute house guest! sure hope the little guy survives!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
It will be interesting to see if he comes back inside. Maybe you have a new friend!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
It will be interesting to see if he comes back inside. Maybe you have a new friend!
oh my! I was wondering that too!...then Glitch will have to take to raising mice to feed the cute little guy!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
oh my! I was wondering that too!...then Glitch will have to take to raising mice to feed the cute little guy!
I have a feeling the first time he poops in the house, his welcome would be over!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
oh such a cute house guest! sure hope the little guy survives!
He seemed fine, stressed certainly, but he appeared physically healthy.

Quote:
Raising mice seems to come naturally to me. They just appear out of thin air and begin multiplying this time of year. It takes absolutely no effort on my part.

Quote:
I certainly hope not.

The best I can figure out is that he must have seen a mouse, vole, or shrew entering through my doggy-dog and followed inside into my garage. Which also leads me to believe he was a juvenile, besides his size of course, because I do not think an adult would be that stupid.

He would then have to fly from the garage into the foyer, then up the stairs in order to perch on my TV. An impressive bit of navigation.

Quote:
I have a feeling the first time he poops in the house, his welcome would be over!
You got that right, because owls do not completely digest their entire meal.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
is that the pic you took of the own in your house? or is it a pic you found on the internet that looks like the owl? either way, very cute!

Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
He seemed fine, stressed certainly, but he appeared physically healthy.

that's good to hear

Raising mice seems to come naturally to me. They just appear out of thin air and begin multiplying this time of year. It takes absolutely no effort on my part.

well no wonder he chose your home to visit!

The best I can figure out is that he must have seen a mouse, vole, or shrew entering through my doggy-dog and followed inside into my garage. Which also leads me to believe he was a juvenile, besides his size of course, because I do not think an adult would be that stupid.

He would then have to fly from the garage into the foyer, then up the stairs in order to perch on my TV. An impressive bit of navigation.
not stupid if he navigated that route! an adult probably would too if in hot pursuit of a warm fuzzy running Hors d'oeuvre!

You got that right, because owls do not completely digest their entire meal. oops yuck forgot that part!
did you only take one photo of this gorgeous creature?? if you have more please share..

Old 10-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
did you only take one photo of this gorgeous creature?? if you have more please share..
No, Buddy ate my camera.

He was certainly cute, and I am glad he was unharmed, but I still have doubts about what kind of owl he could have been. The most striking feature on him was his eyes. Every owl I have seen before has big golden yellow eyes. I have never seen one that was pitch black.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Maybe he is a Halloween owl. Wonder if it was a Snow Owl? But its eyes are black ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Owl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska