Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 AM

941 posts, read 1,792,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There are several types of radiation to be aware of ,alpha beta and gama .
The problem is accumulation and the continued leakage happening at Fukashima.
if it were only an explosion that's one thing but the fuel rods are still a threat and the concrete is cracked and leaking contaminated water into the ocean .
News sources are keeping it quiet but people that live in the area are reporting what's going on.
Readings across the lower 48 are in the 20s up the 40s all the way to Florida. 15 is considered hi.
Not only that it is the trailing end of the storms that drop the alpha being a very lite particle.
Here in southern Calif,, my friend's Geiger counter reads 9-12. My own Geiger counter is not sensitive enough ,my own poor choice of investment.
Point is with other nuclear plants and those still in jeopardy there and long the coast and around the country.
Even radon in the ground is reason enough to have the right tools and know how to use them.
Some stainless steel tissue boxes ordered by bed bath and beyond, came from Europe that had to be recalled because they tested significant radiation.
Radiation can be present in any thing ,once exposed it remains permanently.
Even radiation test samples can be dangerous if put in a pocket or left in a container .The radio active power will migrate into the material.
This is not hear say.
The shrimp at Japan are eaten by the tuna and other fish that travel the Pacific .
So long as contaminated water is draining into the Pacific, the shrimp are being poisoned as well as the fish eating them, an the mammals eating them.
You just proved you know very little about nuclear radiation or the environment in which we live. It is true that the three types of radiation you list exist but how strong the radiation is makes them behave very differently. Gamma radiation is the strongest and can travel light years across the Universe. Alpha and Beta are weaker and can be stopped by a small amounts of shielding even news paper. You don't know enough to specify what type of radiation you are speaking about nor the type of reading you are describing. There is a tremendous difference between a roentgen and an MR reading. Then mentioning the readings across the lower 48 "in the 20s up the 40s" sounds like you failed even kindergarten Then to show how little you know about the World around you how does the radiation being discussed here get to Florida? There is the matter of no Pacific current going across the land mass between North and South America which makes that not possible.

"Not only that it is the trailing end of the storms that drop the alpha being a very lite particle. "
Exactly what do you intend to convey by the above?

Even radon in the ground is reason enough to have the right tools and know how to use them.

Do you even know what Radon is? It is a form of radiation released by nuclear reactions from natural elements decaying in the Earth itself.
Radon is found Worldwide and is constantly being released It is part of the background radiation.

Radiation can be present in any thing ,once exposed it remains permanently.
Even radiation test samples can be dangerous if put in a pocket or left in a container .The radio active power will migrate into the material.
This is not hear say.

This is another example of not knowing anything about radiation. I have used both gamma ray (Iridium 192, Cobalt 60 and Cesium) and x-Ray as radiation sources and nothing has ever been permanently contaminated by being exposed to those sources of radiation. You are exposing your complete lack of knowledge about radioactivity. My advice is when you find your self in a hole STOP DIGGING. And just as important in legaleze HEARSAY is the way it is spelled.

If you don't know a subject don't play act like you do when there are people around that know the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,011 times
By my calculations and after consulting with my MANY nuclear physicist friends... there is an 89% chance that Alaska will cease to exist.

You have 55 hours to escape. If you have a small child use it as a shield. The radiation loves their tender meat.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Shouldn't that be...Take Off Aaaaaay...you hoser.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM

49 posts, read 108,883 times
Radon gas is an alpha radiation that causes lung cancer. It is an odorless, colorless gas found nearly everywhere on this continent. Radon-222 is a member of the radioactive decay chain of uranium-238. Radon is released from the ground, when cut with a dozer blade. Radon is not generally found in buildings built on slabs. People who insist on having granite counter tops are releasing small amounts of radon into their homes.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Hee. I just got a direct message from Hawknest warning me that I can either trust him, or trust THE GOVERNMENT.

I think that's what we call a false dichotomy.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induchman2 View Post
Radon gas is an alpha radiation that causes lung cancer. It is an odorless, colorless gas found nearly everywhere on this continent. Radon-222 is a member of the radioactive decay chain of uranium-238. Radon is released from the ground, when cut with a dozer blade. Radon is not generally found in buildings built on slabs. People who insist on having granite counter tops are releasing small amounts of radon into their homes.
In reality the 1" thick granite slabs used for countertops don't emit enough radon to be of any concern. Now, maybe a person who works at a granite quarry should have some concerns about radom (?) Just think about this: there are all kinds of concrete slabs where the aggregate used is mostly granite. Concrete is porous, and it also cracks here and there because of contraction and expansion. So any radon present in the gravel could very well find its way out of the concrete slab.

All concrete ingredients and products could emit radon and other radioactive gasses: sand, gravel
http://www.radon.com/radon/granite.html
Quote:
clay bricks, most non-plastic plates and dishes, coal and the flyash produced in coal-fired power plants, natural gas (contains radon), phosphate fertilizers used in your garden (ALL contain potassium and small amounts of uranium and thorium), and the vegetables grown using those fertilizers. The Border Patrol often catches truck loads of marijuana because it is loaded with radiation producing potassium), all glass made using silica (even eye glasses, wine glasses, mirrors, windows, etc.), and granite too. There are thousands of items we could list. If interested, visit these links for more info:

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-08-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Shouldn't that be...Take Off Aaaaaay...you hoser.
Okie-Dokie.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Yeah...I'm a Bob and Doug fan from waaaaay back!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM

49 posts, read 108,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Hee. I just got a direct message from Hawknest warning me that I can either trust him, or trust THE GOVERNMENT. I think that's what we call a false dichotomy.
Duh - there are only two positions

Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM

324 posts, read 714,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Hee. I just got a direct message from Hawknest warning me that I can either trust him, or trust THE GOVERNMENT. I think that's what we call a false dichotomy.
That's FALSE reporting and NOT what I wrote. I wrote "You can believe the govt paid scientists or make your own decision." That's not the same. You're ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska