Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 09:02 AM

941 posts, read 1,792,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I liked the part where all the furbearing animals where losing their fur here in Alaska...Which explains the lack fur on top my head in spots.... "Those Bast**ds""!
I feel much better now.
I didn't use as much room to debunk the hysteria, as the original poster did, but he lists what seems to be the major contributors to the "Chicken Little tale of NO Cities". The above isn't a criticism of this report debunking the majority of the unsupported claims made by the aforementioned Chicken Littles but rather a compliment for pointing out how many repetitions of the same unsubstantiated facts are contained in the articles. I agree with his main premise that Gobbles elucidated during WWII that if you tell the same lie enough times some people will believe it. I would add Lincoln's caveat about "Fooling all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time ... ... ...". It seems we have a few of the latter species populating this Forum. Unlike Mark, in the above cite, I don't blame all the lack of hair on top of my head on having worked in a radioactive environment but will concede my father shared the same defective chromosomes and lost his hair at an earlier age than I did. He also followed the same pattern of baldness that I have endured and looking at his and my pictures at close to 75 years of age there is a mirror effect to be seen. If anyone is going to have Baked Halibut instead of turkey this Thanksgiving I'll possibly accept an invitation as long as it was caught in Alaska.

Last edited by richelles; 11-02-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:05 PM

324 posts, read 714,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Here's another page on the same topic. Read and learn.

More Fukushima Scaremongering Debunked | Skeptoid
I believe Weather Underground before Skeptoid

Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center : Radiation in Japan - NETC.com | Weather Underground

or UWisc
http://enenews.com/forum-post-radiat...0-2012-present

Old 11-04-2013, 01:34 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,565,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I didn't use as much room to debunk the hysteria, as the original poster did, but he lists what seems to be the major contributors to the "Chicken Little tale of NO Cities". The above isn't a criticism of this report debunking the majority of the unsupported claims made by the aforementioned Chicken Littles but rather a compliment for pointing out how many repetitions of the same unsubstantiated facts are contained in the articles. I agree with his main premise that Gobbles elucidated during WWII that if you tell the same lie enough times some people will believe it. I would add Lincoln's caveat about "Fooling all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time ... ... ...". It seems we have a few of the latter species populating this Forum. Unlike Mark, in the above cite, I don't blame all the lack of hair on top of my head on having worked in a radioactive environment but will concede my father shared the same defective chromosomes and lost his hair at an earlier age than I did. He also followed the same pattern of baldness that I have endured and looking at his and my pictures at close to 75 years of age there is a mirror effect to be seen. If anyone is going to have Baked Halibut instead of turkey this Thanksgiving I'll possibly accept an invitation as long as it was caught in Alaska.
Well I am always on the Coast of Alaska and have yet to see anything lacking fur of the Marine varity. Basically all looks like it did before the Earthquake...

Currently I am out at the end of the Aleutian Chain, closer than anyone outside of Japan to the Radiation and it simply isn't an issue... So the guys doing all the "Sky is falling" stuff have an aggenda, and it isn't saving anyone at all from radiation. I got much bigger doses getting treated for cancer and it pretty much killed the cancer, so clearly not all radiation is the same or our worst enemy...

Except of course that stuff that causes aging....

Old 11-04-2013, 05:34 AM

10 posts, read 24,253 times
We live in Russia in Khabarovsk. This city in the Far East. We don't see anything changes in the nature. Background radiation is not exceeded. I THINK YOU SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,762 times
Radiation monitors in the US are all normal too. At least the publicly viewable ones are.

Since, this is a potential global event game changer, we still need to closely watch to make sure that Japan and TEPCO clean up their mess though.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:25 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,257 times
Which makes this a time of global terror.

Since March 11, 2011, fuel assemblies weighing some 400 tons, containing more than 1500 extremely radioactive fuel rods, have been suspended 100 feet in the air above Fukushima Daiichi’s Unit Four. “If you calculate the amount of cesium 137 in the pool, the amount is equivalent to 14,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs," says Hiroaki Koide, assistant professor at Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute. Former US Department of Energy official Robert Alvarez, an expert on fuel pool fires, calculates potential fallout from Unit Four at ten times greater than what came from Chernobyl.

This coming Thursday, Moveon.org and affiliated organizations will present more than 150,000 signatures asking for global intervention at Fukushima. Thankfully, Japan’s Prime Minister Abe has finally asked for global help in dealing with Fukushima’s water problems. US Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz has offered America’s help.

But nothing short of a full-on global presence will do. The bring-down of the fuel rods from Unit Four is a terrifying unknown. There’s no precedent for an operation of this scope, precision or potential fallout.

At very least it demands fullest possible attention from all the world’s best scientists and engineers. The global media must power through the Abe Administration’s crack-down on the flow of information. And we must all direct our full awareness to what is about to happen at Fukushima.

Unfortunately, it’s no exaggeration to say that our survival may depend on it.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 PM

‘I don’t think they can pick up the melted nuclear cores,’ said Koide. ‘Instead, they’ll probably start work to cover the reactors in a concrete sarcophagus. It will take them more than ten years to even begin this work. And then it will take decades to finish each sarcophagus.’

See also: UC Berkeley Nuclear Professor: May be impossible to get Fukushima melted fuel -- Work at site to go on for 'thousands of years' if not removed (AUDIO)

This will never end Im so sorry , another human error...

Former Diplomat: Fukushima disaster “to go on almost to infinity, I’m afraid” — Official: “It will never be resolved” if situation at plant continues — Bloomberg: Prime Minister told by his own party “Japan’s response is failing”

A tanker load that fills a gas station once a week holds about 30 Tons of gasoline , say 4000 gallons .
20 loads that size have been spilling into the ocean every day for the last 2 years. Wheres it going zombies? Denial is a cowardly move zombie people. Denial think???????

Note; , , water only carries radiation, water cannot inertly be radioactive.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Where is the Sierra Club? , the co2 crowd? , global warming crowd?

The reason these environmental groups are laying low is they're largest contributors told them to back off this subject or we'll quit being you largest lobby supporting dollar supporting contributors. LOL

, who are the contributors ( inside big $ pay), on the inside to the environmental nonprofits? Ill tell ya genious ; Shell, Koke, Chevron, El Paso,BP, US Congress, Tesoro, and the list goes on.

The WHOLE WORLD IS LYING , young people so wake up.

How do you wake up---- get you body to Alaska and suffer and get off the booze, drugs etc... get the shyte kicked out of you work ok?

If your over 18 and livin on mom or dads dime get out now and save your life--

Dont feel guilty, all adults were screwups when they were in there teens-- so get out now .

Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
I think people are scaring the crap out of other people a little prematurely. Yes, this is a terrible, terrible thing for Japan and the surrounding area, but I think a lot of people are blowing this way out of proportion.

To my knowledge, you need a lot of radiation at once to even start developing simple rashes, let alone traumatic injuries and sickness. 1000msv I think is the threshold for rash. It makes no sense that people and animals on the west coast are losing their hair and and having blood leak from their eyeballs and stuff like that. It would be happening to everyone at the same time of that were the case.

I used to follow this guy who was very neutral and simply showed photos of his properly callibrated geiger counter around various parts of Tokyo (You can't just buy one and take readings straight out of the box, it's impossible.) No opinions, just the readings in relation to what normal background levels were. Background radiation was pretty much normal, but spiked around drains and areas where water and debris collected. The increases weren't significant, though not ideal. Not even double usually. He also compared this with the readings he would get walking around the nuclear medicine departments in hospitals, which were much higher even though we use these on a daily basis in medicine for intestinal diagnosis.

Cancer, with the exception of thyroid related ones, take many years to develop. You are not seeing cancers associated with this yet.

No idea where people get this "radiation monitor offline" stuff from. I can't find the link right now, but i used to check the one in Canada all the time, which were always normal and never mysteriously turned off or anything. I have also never seen anyone post a source for those stupid, unscientific radiation plume maps that everyone has seen by now. I mean, why would it just suddenly stop on the west coast?

Yes, this is a disaster. Yes, it is the worst event concerning radiation in history, but please consult scientists and professionals rather than just anyone with a blog.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 AM

10 posts, read 24,253 times
Maybe you don't know about the nuclear submarines in the closed city of Vladivostok in the Soviet Union. Usually, they changed the water nuclear 2 times a month, after the repair. My friend saw it from the window of his house.
Maybe you think you don't have the volcanic rocks of uranium.
We live in a very interesting time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska