Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

Run for the hills! No, wait...run for the sea...no, wait...run in circles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 11:24 AM

941 posts, read 1,792,409 times
The report on Yellowstone has truth in it. Yellowstone Lake is being tilted because the magna chamber under Yellowstone is growing larger. The lifting of one side of the lake more than the other side is similar to tilting a gold pan to wash sand and water out of your pan. The full grown trees on the low side of the lake are dying because of the rising lake level. Now for those who have blown up a balloon you know that if you keep blowing (Like the hot air spouters here) the balloon will reach its maximum size and go pop. That is equivalent to the growing magna dome which will some day reach its maximum size as it has done eons ago. That pop will be larger than the hypothetical balloon and the pyroclastic cloud will be something never seen previously. But shouldn't someone should raise the question what does all this have to do with a busted nuke plant in Japan which was the original poster's Chicken Little moment?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,843 times
I think the intent was to give the poster something else to freak out about so that they'd forget about Fukushima Daiichi.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
The report on Yellowstone has truth in it. Yellowstone Lake is being tilted because the magna chamber under Yellowstone is growing larger. The lifting of one side of the lake more than the other side is similar to tilting a gold pan to wash sand and water out of your pan. The full grown trees on the low side of the lake are dying because of the rising lake level. Now for those who have blown up a balloon you know that if you keep blowing (Like the hot air spouters here) the balloon will reach its maximum size and go pop. That is equivalent to the growing magna dome which will some day reach its maximum size as it has done eons ago. That pop will be larger than the hypothetical balloon and the pyroclastic cloud will be something never seen previously. But shouldn't someone should raise the question what does all this have to do with a busted nuke plant in Japan which was the original poster's Chicken Little moment?

Talk about a hazmat cleanup!

Course there won't be too many people around to clean up either.

Nature can do more damage in a few minutes than mankind in a century.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Default Hazmat Cleanup

Lake Yellowstone is quite a large lake and it essentially covers the bottom of the caldera which was formed the last time the volcano under the lake blew it's top. That lake is quite a large tea cup at an area of 136 square miles. The magma chamber under it is like a saucer at 5 to 10 miles deep and covers an area of 55 by 18 miles which makes it about 990 square miles. Heating a cup of tea the size of Lake Yellowstone to 3000 degrees instantly will likely blow Hawknest's safe area between the mountains on the Canadian/Alaska Border clear over to Japan so he will be able to visit what he is so afraid of as he passes it at supersonic speed on his first trip around the World. The amount of radiation that would be lifted by the resulting explosion would dwarf each second the total output of the worrisome nuclear plant that made his chicken little moment. I'm like Star in that I'm not concerned with the leakage from the busted nuclear plant being it is a finite amount of radiation but when something like a volcano could lift the likes of Kodiak Island and send it to Jupiter then I'm suitably afraid of such an event. Like Star it would be over for me before I knew it had happened so waiting for the radiation to arrive from Japan is just a long boring event.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:18 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
If Yellowstone erupted, isn't that considered to be a life ending event for the entire planet?

Old 12-25-2013, 05:55 PM

Well the one that killed off the dinosaurs was an asteroid from what I remember about the study on that event. It impacted almost all forms of life and is considered "The Great Extinction" But many small animals that lived in burrows survived the immediate shock wave and fire storm. Some of those that had food stored could have existed for considerable lengths of time on their reserves. For the meat eaters well done dinosaur was available in large quantities. The immediate effect was the shock wave which killed many by the strong effect of that shock wave on creatures that were exposed directly to it. But any form of cover be it a hill, mountain, or cave of some type would have been a shield. The fire storm was short lived since once all the fuel burned things cooled down rapidly. The first effect after the fire storm would have been rapid cooling due to the amount of smoke and dust in the atmosphere which prevented solar insolation. This preserved the food supply that was under any kind of cover during the event. I have seen the after effect in Hawaii after a lava flow when trees came up from the roots soon after the event through what must have been hot lava. Seeds protected from the heat could have survived and sprouted over the next few years further giving an abundant supply of food for the diminished population. And the fewer the population the fewer resources needed until the population built up. So if even 1% survived on land and 50% in the water there was still a lot of life left to repopulate the Earth. I recently read something about the Moon hitting the Earth and the ricochet of what was left went into orbit and apparently some life forms survived that which was about as large as it gets. So even what is a life changing event doesn't necessarily mean nothing survives. Yellowstone chucking an Kodiak Island chunk into orbit is a lot of activity but it is possible some species could survive to repopulate the Earth. After a forest fire goes through some trees may have one side burned but the opposite side could survive being the heat is moving in a direction. Somewhat like the Tsunami in Alaska wiped out some populations on one side of an island and the other side wasn't harmed. Life of all forms is rather resilient and it takes a lot to wipe out every roach and blade of grass. I recall something about how a nuclear submarine could survive a nuclear holocaust and that is a possibility in this day and time. I know about life at five miles down on hot smokers and in boiling springs in Yellowstone as well as ice worms living in glaciers so maybe life has a chance even under what we assume if the worst of all possibilities. The species that did survive could be because of some weird event that gave them a chance while others lost out.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times
so how about this then if it erupts can they send planes in to filter the air?

I am surprised no one wants to plan for the eruption and clean it up.

just send in something like a vacuum and suck in all the air and then filter them.
problem solved no?

dinosaurs were not able to filter the air we can do so easily.
yellow stone eruption is blown out of proportion

I am still much more worried about the fukushima radiation they are dumping into the ocean.
I refuse to eat any seafood forever at this point.

the large oarfish that came up many times is indication of something is terribly wrong with our oceans already.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:38 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post

just send in something like a vacuum and suck in all the air and then filter them.
problem solved no?

I am still much more worried about the fukushima radiation they are dumping into the ocean.
I refuse to eat any seafood forever at this point.

the large oarfish that came up many times is indication of something is terribly wrong with our oceans already.
Unfortunately, when Yellowstone goes it will be a massive problem. Other than the initial blast, there will be ash covering a good part of the arable land in North America, and of course the debris that lingers in the atmosphere will reflect enough sunlight to lower temperatures globally. It won't be a good time. The good news is the odds of it happening in our lifetimes is extremely small (though not zero).

Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post

problem solved no?

Ahahahahaahahahahahahaahahah...gasp...ahahahahahaa hahahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska