Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:42 PM

104 posts, read 180,151 times

Advertisements

Gen there is no none filtration that could handle filtering the tons of ash and debris from the air be it on land or air. I am more worried that Yellowstone erupts or an unknown asteroid will impact us than Fukushima and the US getting any lethal dose of radiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Ok, here is the skinny...

The Japanese were pissed at us since we kicked their butt during WWII and nuked them. They set off an undersea bomb to fake an earthquake to send waves crashing over their Fukushima plants to distroy them and cause massive amounts of Radiation to flow to the U.S. as a form of payback for WWII.

There, now that it is out in the open, I will have to go into hiding....

Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Suddenly craves sushi...

Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 AM

325 posts, read 576,691 times
I got to this shooting match a little late. Was busy in Atlanta getting hubby back home to New Mexico.

Anyway, here's what will be discussed later tonight/tomorrow morning on www dot coasttocoastam dot com with George Noory. Dr. Gordon Edwards has led the fight to shutdown the dangerous Ontario and Quebec nuc stations. www dot ccnr dot org. I have heard him before discussing the problems and solutions of Fukushima. He will most likely discuss it further.

While you all seem to be fairly intelligent individuals - I would like to point out the FACT that the USS Ronald Reagan was danger close to the plant and many aboard were exposed to high levels of radiation, so much so that well you can imagine - hair and teeth falling out, rapid weight loss and vice versa, destruction of thyroids - all the classic symptoms of this kind of poisoning. I would have imagined the ship's doctors and medics would have had everyone wear dosimeters and monitor the situation more closely to keep them safe. Also having them wear nbc-hazmat clothing, respirators (Israeli made) - but maybe not.

Navy sailors have radiation sickness after Japan rescue | New York Post

Old 01-06-2014, 09:09 AM

As to Yellowstone's caldera - it's a well know FACT that it hasn't erupted in more than 640,000 years, so I wouldn't get all antsy about it going off next week or even this year. Two years ago there was a swarm of minor quakes (1.0-3.0) that went on for a few months. Nothing larger and no eruption. You see the geysers like Norris and Mammoth and the bubbling mud pots are the relief valves. If they don't spray then there's a problem and then you worry.

Those of us west of the Rockies and Canada-Yukon-Alaska have little to fear from Yellowstone at least in the near term. Yes, anyone east of the Park will have big problems as the supervolcano will send fiery balls of lava and rocks about 50-100 miles in all directions but mainly north and eastward. Then the lava ash will settle within 200-500 miles on the prevailing easterly winds to the thickness of several dozen feet. If you remember Mt St Helens burying Yakima, Wash to ten feet in ash. Vehicles won't run, jets can't fly - lest their filters ingest ash. When it rains later, the ash turns acidic and eats the metals - destroying vehicles and buildings. The crops will be ruined and nothing will grow for years after. Case in point the acid rain from coal fired power plants in the Ohio River valley destroyed the rivers, streams and lakes in the Catskills (1960's). Only now are those areas coming back to life.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:53 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
I got to this shooting match a little late. Was busy in Atlanta getting hubby back home to New Mexico.

Anyway, here's what will be discussed later tonight/tomorrow morning on www dot coasttocoastam dot com with George Noory. Dr. Gordon Edwards has led the fight to shutdown the dangerous Ontario and Quebec nuc stations. www dot ccnr dot org. I have heard him before discussing the problems and solutions of Fukushima. He will most likely discuss it further.

While you all seem to be fairly intelligent individuals - I would like to point out the FACT that the USS Ronald Reagan was danger close to the plant and many aboard were exposed to high levels of radiation, so much so that well you can imagine - hair and teeth falling out, rapid weight loss and vice versa, destruction of thyroids - all the classic symptoms of this kind of poisoning. I would have imagined the ship's doctors and medics would have had everyone wear dosimeters and monitor the situation more closely to keep them safe. Also having them wear nbc-hazmat clothing, respirators (Israeli made) - but maybe not.

Navy sailors have radiation sickness after Japan rescue | New York Post
The last nuclear plant in Quebec, Gentilly 2, was shut down in 2012. It will take 50 years to complete the decommissioning of the plant.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
Here's a breakdown of the numbers:
Yeah, about that Fukushima radiation... | Alaska Dispatch

Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Works for me!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post

Thanks

Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 AM

NPR Affiliate: Fukushima cesium detected in Alaska salmon sample — Radioactive plume has already reached West Coast — Concerned fishermen forced to pay for tests since officials not doing it — “People don’t trust gov&#82

Radiation from Fukushima | Alaska Public Media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska