Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 AM

941 posts, read 1,792,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
RSOE EDIS - Nuclear Event in USA on Monday, 11 November, 2013 at 19:44 (07:44 PM) UTC. EDIS CODE: NC-20131111-41602-USA

To summarize: "Duke Energy ... shut down Unit 1 at the Oconee nuclear power plant after a small radioactive leak was detected. The leak, confined to the plant's airtight, reinforced containment building, posed no danger ... ... "The leak itself was less than one-tenth of a gallon per minute... ...
My Grandchildren live a short distance away. I am making plans for them to move to a safer location. This should scare the crap outta the area "preppers".

AHHHH Chicken Little is doing his business with the proverbial fan again and this time he is waving the surrender flag. I'd ask Starlite9 "Mark if the ship you're in command of had a leak in the condensation system that amounted to 1/10 of a gallon a minute could you safely assign an AB seaman to bail that by hand while you continued your voyage around the World?" How long would such a massive leak take to sink your CC Cutter assuming you had just left the ship yard? If you had the proper packing material how long would it take to replace the packing on the valve stem? Would you feel it was necessary for the "preppers" in your crew to perform any heroic duties during this emergency? And is some small leakage such as this frequently found in systems operating at 700 PSI at 700 degrees Fahrenheit?

It appears the Chicken Little is overpowered by what little common sense some people would be expected to have. The system is a contained one where the volume of the containment structure is larger than 100 feet high, 100 feet in diameter, and rated to some unusually large pressure and the leak has now been brought down some amount since the unit is shut down and the only heat that is forthcoming is residual heat which is something that could normally be controlled with several redundant small cooling systems.

Last edited by richelles; 11-12-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM

324 posts, read 714,382 times
I was pointing out that this was quickly diseminated to the general public, instead of withholding it as was commonplace a couple of decades ago. Not surrendering anything dimwit

Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM

324 posts, read 714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
What if your Grandchildren don't want to move to a "Safer" location. Is there one?
There's always a choice. There are safer locations outside of that 50 mi danger zone. Note to self - there are three reactors at that location, two at Augusta and two at Baxley - which means these areas overlap.

How close is your home to a nuclear plant?

In the article there's a link to check the zipcode/city & state where or your loved ones live. From Ketchikan, the closest station is in Washington State - about 802 miles away.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Another one gets up to adress us from his bully pulpit

Quote:
There's always a choice. There are safer locations outside of that 50 mi danger zone. Note to self - there are three reactors at that location, two at Augusta and two at Baxley - which means these areas overlap.

In the article there's a link to check the zipcode/city & state where or your loved ones live. From Ketchikan, the closest station is in Washington State - about 802 miles away.
Apparently this person doesn't have a functioning memory. If you notice at the top of his post there is a small OP indicating this is his thread. It would seem like a ( Now let's see what he called me in one of his recent posts.) Dimwit is the term he used. So I'll refer to him with an alternate term which is much more suited to his capability; I think DIMBULB is a suitable term for the likes of him.
Dimbulb started this thread complaining about a pseudo issue of radioactive contamination coming to the seacoast of Alaska and now Dimbulb is planning to move his family to the very area along the seacoast of Alaska he was suggesting was one of the most dangerous places on Earth i.e. Ketchikan. Now I've been to Ketchikan a few times; I even rode the ferry across the channel to the airport so I know it is on the water. I arrived in Ketchikan a few times on the Alaska Marine Highway System Ferry which strangely enough gets to this location by riding on the surface of the Pacific Ocean which is what he contended was so polluted that it was unsafe for man or fish. From the plane departing from Ketchikan we flew over the Pacific Ocean. So now we know how intelligent he actually is. At no point has he contended the Atlantic Ocean near where his family presently lives is polluted with that radiation but he picks the safety of Ketchikan for them in a coastal Alaskan City. I should start a poll that would show how much all of the readers here think of his opinions.

By the way I was at many different nuclear plants for numerous reasons and every time there was a problem I read about that problem in the news before I arrived at the plant. And on those occasions I frequently arrived the day after the occurrence. So where was there any delays in the news getting the issues????? I was never at TMI but I did learn about it the same day on the TV News.

Also since when did 2 plus 2 = 3 dimwit???????? The hole you're digging is getting deeper. Maybe it is time to stop digging.

Last edited by richelles; 11-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Tried to correct address above

Old 11-13-2013, 03:45 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:

Well currently I guess Fukushima is the closest Nuke plant from where I am at. Being at the end of the Aleutian Chain I think I am closer to Japan than Anchorage... Really not worried about the "Melt Down" either. Much more concerned that some Middle East Country in the name of "God", is going to set off a Nuke in a major city (NY seems to be popular. possibly Southern CA just to mix things up a bit) and the games will begin from there.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
. Much more concerned that some Middle East Country in the name of "God", is going to set off a Nuke in a major city (NY seems to be popular. possibly Southern CA just to mix things up a bit) and the games will begin from there.
In 1956 while stationed in Germany I heard some things the Muslims were complaining about at that time. They said WE (meaning anyone who wasn't of their persuasion religiously) had invaded them 800 years ago (During the Crusades) and killed their great (Many times)grand father and they were obligated to kill as many of us as possible, in retaliation, in order to get their 64 virgins. At that time I couldn't believe a religion would be of that persuasion but in the years since it seems like their religion does preach that tenet. One thing that really bothered me after 9/11 was there was no effort by their clergy, in this country, to heap any abuse of the perps who committed the action. They seemed to think they couldn't be blamed because someone of their faith had done something in the belief it was required by their faith. Who will have to kill off who to stop the foolishness of religion?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
800 years is kind of a long time to hold a grudge -- and the foolishness of religion has been the cause of many a great war in Earth's history.

I would think Alaska would be the last place for a terrorist strike as the population density is too low and the 'hard' targets are not as good as others in the US.

But I don't base my living decisions based on that.

Fukushima doesn't bug me about living on/near the water in AK. For it to make AK un-inhabitable means the food chain will be seriously disrupted and the problems won't be limited to just AK and the west coast US. And besides our resident nuclear engineer says that it can't happen anyways.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Since the currents from Japan flow up and along Alaska's Coast, it would be the first to recieve high doses of radiation in these waters, there isn't anything outside of what would be normal background radiation either before or after the accident in Japan. Yet magically the radiation appears to be growing in intensity by the time it gets to California. Pretty much in direct proportion to the environmental kooks that inhabit that part of the US .

Just sad that they fully believe in folklore more so than fact.

Is the damaged reactors a bad thing, yes locally it is, outside of that, I'm not too worried. The amount of dispersion in the (Salt water) ocean compared to what is there is so minuscule it is a joke to think the world is coming to an end.

The South Pacific had a wide assortment of nukes set off to test them. The salt water properties slows the electrons reactions down and that is why there is no trace radiation in the waters around the islands. On land however where there is no contact with the salt, there is trace amounts of radiation that can still be recorded, and the Japanese site will be the same for decades. But even that will subside in due time, but until then, the sky is still falling to the uneducated.

If the accident happened on the Great Lakes with fresh water, it may be a different issue or not. But there are really important other things to worry about than accidents, like nukes going off in the name of god in a harbor of the those that think killing innocents is a right to get these virgins. If in fact that is true, then why aren't the Mullas out blowing themselves up? Maybe because they know it isn't true!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,167 times
Unhappy radiation

Be careful up there, no one is safe from this. Killer whales have been seen rolling over, sick, with huge tumors on their heads. Seals have sores all over them. Places like Ketchikan where most catch rain water to drink, its got radiation. Don't let any one fool you. Things on the ocean floor are dead. It is hitting Alaska and things are only going to get worse. Check your webs for radiation maps etc. Come on search this stuff. I am sick about what is going on in Alaska. If you can get a detector for radiation.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfrog 2 View Post
Be careful up there, no one is safe from this. Killer whales have been seen rolling over, sick, with huge tumors on their heads. Seals have sores all over them. Places like Ketchikan where most catch rain water to drink, its got radiation. Don't let any one fool you. Things on the ocean floor are dead. It is hitting Alaska and things are only going to get worse. Check your webs for radiation maps etc. Come on search this stuff. I am sick about what is going on in Alaska. If you can get a detector for radiation.
You may be interested in this:

Study: Yellowstone Magma Much Bigger Than Thought - ABC News

There's no shortage of stuff to worry about (though I wouldn't include radiation from Fukushima in that camp)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska