Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:23 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times

Advertisements

Your sources at enenews are not reliable:

Debunking the Fukushima Spent Fuel Fable - Atomic Insights

It reminds me of this:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

Last edited by jdhpa; 01-26-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 AM

325 posts, read 576,691 times
Then listen the program on Tuesday and voice your learned opinion.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 AM

941 posts, read 1,792,172 times
Regarding spent fuel. There are a few truths which the naysayers can't downplay except for the fact they refuse to use them for what they are worth. One is time is your friend when it comes to nuclear radiation. In order for there to be radiation there must be some kind of nuclear reaction. The basic physics of that nuclear reaction is an element that can undergo a nuclear reaction is by definition going to a lower and more stable level by undergoing the nuclear reaction. So once that radiation has been released and been dissipated by time and distance there is nothing further to be done since the individual element involved has reached a lower stable level. If one follows the decay chain to lead which all of the naysayers will have to agree is a stable element you start with a reactive element which undergoes decay; releases some radiation which quickly reaches a level where it isn't measurable; is converted to a lower order element and is no longer capable of undergoing that reaction again. The reason to put spent fuel into the spent fuel pool is to allow it to stay cool (being it is submerged in a cooling liquid known as water), for the short lived active elements to undergo reactions to a stable element, and to keep people away from the fuel bundles.

Now fuel bundles are constructed from elements that are not radioactive elements, last a long time in their normal state, and aren't harmed by radiation. Think about a fact the spent fuel bundle has been in a reactor exposed to enormous amounts of radiation and has survived that assault. Most of the active elements contained in the fuel bundle have been reduced to something less active and in some cases to nonreactive elements which can then be called shielding such as lead or other heavy elements, which is the reason they are called spent fuel. Now any one with any small amount of nuclear physics knowledge knows no one would willingly stand next to a spent fuel bundle because if you took a fresh spent fuel bundle and stood it up on the goal line on a football field and started walking toward it from the opposite goal line you probably wouldn't reach the fifty yard line alive because of the radiation being emitted. But put in under forty feet of water (Shielding) and the level of radiation is close to nil.

The water in which it is sitting for an extended period of time gets warm but is cooled as the heat dissipates. The fuel bundles don't rot, rust, decay, or react and the radioactive leftovers are contained safely inside a metal barrier through which they can't move. All of this has been proved over time and I have stood on the bridge over a spent fuel pool forty some feet above the hundreds of bundles of spent fuel and I'm still here typing this some thirty years since my last visit to a nuclear plant. Calm down people and quit listening to the clowns who don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited by richelles; 01-26-2014 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 AM

In the old days (50's-60's) they put the waste water in 55gal drums and buried them on site or worse yet, put them into onsite wells, where over time, they leached into the water tables. Such was done at Savannah River and Oak Ridge. Savannah River drains into the Atlantic and Oak Ridge into the Tennessee River.

If you aren't concerned about your health, we won't worry about you in the future.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 AM

From RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service this past week:

"Highly radioactive water was detected inside the No. 3 reactor building at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant, Tepco said. It is believed that the water may have leaked from within the reactor. The water was found to have high levels of radioactive cesium and cobalt, but Tepco claimed none of the water has leaked out of the building itself. A report in December suggested it would take five years to put an end to radioactive water leaks in and around the plant."

Old 01-29-2014, 10:56 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
From RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service this past week:

"Highly radioactive water was detected inside the No. 3 reactor building at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant, Tepco said. It is believed that the water may have leaked from within the reactor. The water was found to have high levels of radioactive cesium and cobalt, but Tepco claimed none of the water has leaked out of the building itself. A report in December suggested it would take five years to put an end to radioactive water leaks in and around the plant."
Do you somehow believe that posting the exact same thing 7 times all over the forum will somehow make it "stick"?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Do you somehow believe that posting the exact same thing 7 times all over the forum will somehow make it "stick"?
I guess he believes in the saying, "If you repeat a lie enough times, people start to believe it as a fact".

Did I mention earlier that the "Sky is falling!"?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM

941 posts, read 1,792,172 times
I got a new Chicken Little to complain about!!!!!!!!!!

The sky is falling!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I guess he believes in the saying, "If you repeat a lie enough times, people start to believe it as a fact".
I'm surprised you could read it that many times. Well, when the sh*t hits the fan - you can just say I was warned. In the meantime, have a good life.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
I'm surprised you could read it that many times. Well, when the sh*t hits the fan - you can just say I was warned. In the meantime, have a good life.
I'll bet you $10,000 that 10 years from now, or 5 or 20 or whatever number you care to name, the West Coast -- including Alaska and Hawaii -- will still be happily thriving, populated, and uncontaminated by trans-Pacific radiation.

Care to put your money where your paranoia is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska