Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,761 times

Advertisements

Alaska having September's Climate in October | NOAA Climate.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Enjoy it while it lasts, although we already have a little snow around Fairbanks.

That said, take a look at this summer:
http://www.newsminer.com/features/su...a4bcf6878.html

Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,761 times
It's on the mountains, but nobody lives up there.
I would just like for it to stop raining.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
It's raining pretty good here in Bethel.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (temporary, just for another year and I'm off)
10 posts, read 13,184 times
Hi guys! I'm new here and basically just a teenager girl obsessed with Alaska, and plans to visit Alaska to test my passion. At least twice.

Question: Can you please just list the things you love in Alaska.
Don't you miss the warm weather? How does it feel, to live in such cold, dark place for 9 months of the year?

I like the cold and snow and what it has to offer. I think at most I've been comfortable with -20 celcius? That was when I was in the snow mountain.

But yeah, please just freely talk about your love, pro and con of Alaska.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Despite what you may have read, seen in movies or been told by folks who have never actually been to Alaska...it is not all cold and dark 9 months of the year!
My list is far too long to put here on why I love Alaska. I prefer winter over summer for the skiing, snowmaching, ice fishing etc. I have no issues with the cold or the long hours of darkness during winter months. This last summer was just about too hot for my liking. You've got your basic mountains, wildlife, lakes and streams, fishing, people etc that I guess makes Alaska an ideal place to live for me.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
It's on the mountains, but nobody lives up there.
I would just like for it to stop raining.
We have snow on there ground already (around Fairbanks), but not much. Last week we had some days with temperatures in there late 30's, but for the past two days it has been colder, so now the snow is not melting.

Now, in September we had several snow blizzards on the Dalton, and I imagine that there is a lot of snow on the ground up that way. We had one of the coldest and driest summers in several years, but a relatively warm Fall so far.

Quote:
From the NWS, Fairbanks:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...id=AKZ222&mp=0

Today: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 20s. East winds to 10 mph.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Lows 5 to 15 above. East winds to 10 mph.

Monday: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 20s. East winds to 10 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy. Lows around 8 above. Light winds.

Tuesday: Snow likely. Highs in the mid 20s. West winds to 10 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows in the mid teens.

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy. Highs around 20.

Wednesday Night And Thursday: Partly cloudy. Lows around 10. Highs around 20.

Thursday Night And Friday: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid teens. Highs in the lower to mid 20s.

Friday Night And Saturday: Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid teens. Highs in the mid 20s.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Barrow has a good six inches or so. It started around mid to late September and has snowed quite a bit already.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:49 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
You feel free. The state sees you as a person and citizen not a source of income for their goals. You can protect yourself and your home from bad critters including people. It is fun to wake up where there are only a few people. You can get a flight anywhere mostly. You can make friends who are really unlike you and like them just as you would anyone. You can talk with complete strangers in a market without being accused of being "intrusive" or "weird".You can teach your children independence and responsibility without the government telling you how to do it. You can test yourself against the wind, the cold and the snow. You can learn your limits. You can learn about yourself and if you have something within you to fall back on.

Trust me, everything is better. I am not a huge fan of Winter but it is worth the price.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:50 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Four people at work, including me, got new sleds this year, and my boyfriend is shopping for one. Of course we don't have any snow. Just rain, rain, rain. This is lame, lame, lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska