Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:18 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Sam...my family has had 37 years to realize just how stubborn I can be. If my father wishes to see his grandson, he will either have to fly up or send on a ticket...though I am questioning that decision if it becomes a battle for getting my son back!! My dad has been looking online at the area we are hoping to live in and just KNOWS it is a bad area for my son. Needless to say, our conversations on the phone are short and banal, neither of us will discuss the impending move. I have many aunts and uncles who live around my father and they are all thinking the absolute worst - and none have ever been to Alaska. A very closed-minded lot.
The end of May cannot come too soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 04:47 PM

60 posts, read 158,224 times
LOL- I'm with ya on the "stubborn" part! Geez....you don't really think your dad would keep your son if you sent him down on a visit do ya? How scary is that? How old is your son? And what part of AK are you guys looking at moving to? Yep- it never ceases to amaze me how close-minded people can be. Or how they can make their minds up about a place without having ever been there. Maybe we'll see ya on the road this summer- if we decide to go for it ourselves again, we'll be out the first week of June!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:05 PM

My son is 15, a Freshman. I have no idea honestly what my family would do...it isn't the first time an attempt has been made to undermine me completely in a ploy to have my son want to be with them instead of me (my family was against me divorcing my son's father, though that is another story in itself).
We are soooo hoping for Willow. We have already put in a bid on a cabin there, and while our offer wasn't accepted, we still have a slight chance (our offer was the best one, but it is a matter of the owners wishing to stay on in the home until the beginning of July).
Maybe we will run into each other! Just keep an eye out for a vehicle with Wyoming plates ambling about looking slightly lost and with three dogs and a cat taking over

Old 04-12-2008, 05:15 PM

Right on! Willow is great. I'd live there absolutely! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you guys get the cabin. And I agree- the end of May CANNOT come soon enough!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Yes, Willow is pretty great. If you don't get that cabin, HL, look around for something else there. And again, I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of your considerable photography skills once you get up there.

I have the opposite problem as both of you...my -48 family is compromised of phenomenal people. My Alaska family....well, let's just say that there must be something to this vitamin D/lack of sunlight thing, because they've been acting up something awful lately.

Sam, it's probably been suggested in this thread already, but I'm dealing with the usual lousy connection problems that seem to plague me wherever I go so I haven't checked---have you thought about applying for a teaching job on the Kenai or in places like Talkeetna?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-12-2008 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 PM

Thank you, Metlakatla...can I call you Met?? I am feeling somewhat lazy I did find another cabin in Willow on Craigslist...but the man is feeling pouty and acting like a 5 year-old and will not listen until we know for sure.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
LOL, please do call me Met.

I know all about those "pouty" men...can think of one in particular right now.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:36 PM

Just one??? Well...the man has gone from pouty to blatantly drunk. He is in Nashville for classes, this being his last night and he found an Irish pub...with 'authentic Irishmen, dear' LOL. He rang a little bit ago stating there must be something about redheads (of which I am one) that don't enjoy having fun with games. Ehm...eh???? Then his battery died in his cell and I am left chortling at the images.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Hey Met- thanks, yes, I've looked into those districts. Just kind of reluctant given past experience in bush districts...although the Mat-Su district isn't bush! LOL

HL- Geez....sounds like you've been having fun finding housing! We've got good news though- We've decided to go back come hell or high water! My husband contacted his old job back in the bush village we came from and his old job is open again! We are jumping on it and out of here the first part of June! CAN'T WAIT to GET BACK TO AK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and wisdom....we took it to heart. Got us to thinking of our drive up summer of "06 and how full of excitement and dreams we were. Going through Canada, we met an old sourdough who asked us our story and when we told him our dreams and how our family was against us...all he said was, "Life's too short for sh**". Well...yep, it is. We gotta live our lives and can't live our family's for them. We're sure to get more opposition now that we've made up our minds to go back, but we're determined not to own those negative feelings and words directed at us.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement, and we'll keep ya updated!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Oh I am thrilled for you, Sam!!! Hurry up June! Please do keep us posted, and if the opposition becomes horrendous, come in for commiseration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska