Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,106,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam64 View Post
Sounds selfish, but it's our turn now.
Not selfish in the slightest...it is past time for the both of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
What I'd like to know is...How do people move to AK from the extreme lower 48 and find their bush paradise and live "happily ever after" when they have family who disapproves of their choice of lifestyle?

Have any of you been in our shoes before? How did you deal with it? We are caught between living our lives the way we want, and yet pleasing everyone else. Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Much thanks!
My solution was simple. I told my family that if they expect me to attend their funeral, they had better die in Alaska, because I was not leaving the state under any circumstances.

They may not understand my choice, and they certainly don't understand Alaska, but I don't care. That is their problem, not mine.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:11 PM

60 posts, read 158,253 times
Talking Getting Closer!

Our plans are in motion~So far we've sold our sofa and loveseat, our bedroom furniture, and my Jeep, along with a few little things that are only sentimental and not necessity. Without the furniture, we're sleeping on the air mattress and sitting on the plastic Adirondak chairs to eat and watch the tube- LOL. We've got a lot more little stuff to unload, but thinking of renting a booth at the local flea market one weekend to lighten the load and make some more road trip money before we cart it all off to the Goodwill. As for the family....my side hasn't been tooooo bad....just the usual jabs and negative comments here and there, but what can they say? They know we are serious about returning. My husband still hasn't told his side yet....we're anticipating a huge battle there. Whatever the outcome, we won't be deterred!
Only 39 days to go before we're back on the road! WhoooHooo!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:54 PM

115 posts, read 366,443 times
Thumbs up Another Road Trip!

I'm so excited for all of you that are taking the plunge, I can't see straight! Ha! Here I am counting down the days and I'm not even going anywhere!!

Good luck you two....

Old 04-23-2008, 07:27 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
Our plans are in motion~So far we've sold our sofa and loveseat, our bedroom furniture, and my Jeep, along with a few little things that are only sentimental and not necessity. Without the furniture, we're sleeping on the air mattress and sitting on the plastic Adirondak chairs to eat and watch the tube- LOL. We've got a lot more little stuff to unload, but thinking of renting a booth at the local flea market one weekend to lighten the load and make some more road trip money before we cart it all off to the Goodwill. As for the family....my side hasn't been tooooo bad....just the usual jabs and negative comments here and there, but what can they say? They know we are serious about returning. My husband still hasn't told his side yet....we're anticipating a huge battle there. Whatever the outcome, we won't be deterred!
Yes, garage sales... Lappy 486

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Yes, garage sales... Lappy 486

Good one Warptman!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:48 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Good work! Why not just not tell them until the day you're leaving, and just make it a very quick phone message and then hang up, so they don't have a chance to try anything to stop you?

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Warptman- ROTFLMAO! Where did you find that???? Funny!

Thanks Moose Hollow- I hope you get to come to AK soon! Love your name- is that a real place?

Good one Arctic- I can see that happening....LOL! But then again, if hubby waits much longer, that might be the scenario!

Has anyone heard from Highlandlady? I wonder how her plans are going. They are supposed to be moving around the same time we are.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:33 PM

Sam...

Moose Hollow is a fictious place. I'm writing a book about historic fiction in the 1860's and Moose Hollow is one of the towns as well as a railroad creation called the Moose Hollow & Lonetree Western Railroad. I've been writing for a year now with no end in sight. I have photographed Moose for years and so the idea kind of stuck, so what the heck. I have always had hopes of traveling to Alaska to photograph the really big moose someday. It remains to be seen. Anyway, thanks for asking and best of luck to you both!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 AM

Moose Hollow- Awesome that you are writing a book! Best of luck with that, and with getting to AK someday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska