Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM

60 posts, read 158,224 times

Advertisements

You Betcha!!!

And please keep us posted on your housing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 02:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Well congratulations, you're beating me to the bush, literally!

Old 04-13-2008, 02:49 PM

305 posts, read 683,138 times
If you think you're hardy enough to live in the bush as has been suggested in this thread, more power to you - it's not as hard as you imagine, but it's not easy, either. There are choices to be made, and money is not the least of your worries in this time of high fuel prices, let alone the cost of food and medical care. But it can be done.

I mentioned in previous posts (I think) that I've made the move from bush living to town, and will be going back to bush living again this season. I spent time in the Brooks enjoying a camp life, and will return to a similar deal as far as having my housing and board provided as per work arrangement. But my eye is still on acquiring another piece of remote land. Consider what it's worth:

Selling out and starting over is an option. Likely a good portion of what you feel you cannot part with won't be useful out there or you'll wind up storing it long enough that it becomes a matter of sentiment, not need. What you sell belongings for becomes the downpayment on your land or home. Fitting everything you own into the back of a pickup or onto a trailer isn't a bad thing, just be sure you keep what's useful and necessary. Once you have established home base, the job hunt becomes reasonable. Most folks do it the other way around - find job first, then settle down, but you risk living closer to the masses that way. I work seasonally and my off-times give me opportunity to build the life I want to return to.

Good luck. Set your mind to it and create the life you want. Want it bad enough...

Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Arctic- LOL LOL LOL!!!Tide- You are so right! When we made our first move, we sold our home, a second vehicle, furniture, etc...and had a HUGE yard sale. We only took what we could fit into the back of our pickup with the camper shell on. This time around, we will be selling stuff again....and know better now what is "necessary" and what is merely "sentiment"! Thankfully, we should be taking a lot less this time around!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Good for you, Sam.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 AM

27 posts, read 121,063 times
Talking Just go !

A few years ago, somewhere in Jawjuh (GA), I met this couple of snowbirds, Len and Ruby, both 60 and retired. Len drove this ENORMOUS belarussian MZKT 8x8 truck / RV / Camper with a custom-made body and better equipped than a lot of nice homes. Must have cost a fortune. He used to be a truck driver all his life. Heck knows how he got the beast registered in the US.

They were from Minnesota, which would explain the snowbirding, but there was more to it. Their kids had nagged them when they had announced they would retire and, from then on, would spend winters in the South. After one particularly "hot" discussion which had resulted in some broken earthenware, Len and Ruby took a decision. They had raised 6 kids who were all married and had jobs and kids of their own. They had paid for their kids' college expenses.

So they decided that they had done what they had to do for their children.

Next move was to sell the farm they lived on, heritage of Ruby's parents, Len got the truck and had it fitted out to his wishes. Last thing they did in Minnesota, Ruby said, was to pull the phone plug out (a symbolic gesture) and load the cat into the truck. Last thing people heard from them in Minnesota was the VROOM of the Yaroslav V12 600 HP diesel engine.

On the back of the truck there was a large sign: a hand with "the" finger and the text: "Kids, up yours".

Takeo.

PS. They live in Mexico now.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Well, here goes .... The object in parenting is to raise the children so well that they really no longer need you. It sounds like your family is trying to use guilt trips to keep you in line. If you let this tactic work, it is your own fault. Most families would be happy for a member who has found happiness in whatever form it may take, or location it may entail. Let them know that you are following your heart and do what you feel you must. Inform them that you may return every five years or so for a week visit, if someone dies you will visit the grave at that time and that every card or letter you receive suggesting that you return sooner will add a six month addendum to the timetable, then,....(the hard part) .... stick to what you say! Lead your life. It is yours not theirs.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Good one Takeo!!!!

Thanks Dusty!!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:18 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
I'd like to get in on this party. To the OP, just do it!!! You are only enabling a very unhealthy and co-dependent relationship. Sorry for getting all Dr Phil on ya, but that's just how it is. I accepted a long time ago that although biology links me to my family, it doesn't necessarily bond me to them, and since they're all pretty dysfunctional, distance is a good thing. I now make my own family through friends, who are much more reliable, supportive, look out for your best interests, and don't try to change you or want you to rescue them.

I also support you in giving teaching a second go round. Maybe now that you know what to expect, and the going into the equation with a different approach to the family, it could make all the difference.

My best to you!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks Cobolt. We have decided to just do it. I'm an only child and my husband is the youngest of four....so both of us have spent our lives so far catering to every request of family, no matter how inconvenient or far-fetched. It's time we make a life for US! Sounds selfish, but it's our turn now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska