Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I think the kid's biggest mistake was simply not having a map or other knowledge of the area. A map would have saved his life, I suspect. I suspect I have similar opinions of the modern world to him, but something you won't catch me doing is not at least having a map of an unfamiliar area...

He didn't have a clue what he was doing, not experienced enough to truly live off the land, but I suspect he would have lived if he knew the area better and could have gotten to safety. Many people want to live closer to nature and escape our vile society, but it seems most of them don't have the skills needed and rush things too much. Some people even get lost and some die in Northern New England and Northern New York...

As for the river, rivers swell elsewhere too. There's places here in Vermont that I can easily get to one month, and not the next, because of that issue (not glacier related here but still...).
I originally came up to Alaska to do something similar to what McCandles did, to live off the land at least for one year. I spent 2 years preparing for the move, but I also had lots of experience hunting and living in remote areas before I made the move. I also took the EMT-W course the Red Cross was offering. I bought everything I thought I would need, and set milestones for certain tasks to be completed. Such as having a garden planted by June 15th at the latest, and having the cabin built by Oct. 1st, etc. If I was unable to complete any of those tasks by the specified date, then I would fall back on my contingency plan.

When I finally got to the location (about 20 miles up the Talkeetna River from Talkeetna) it did not take me long to determine that I would not be able to meet my schedule. I spent a few days enjoying myself camping out by the river, with my food well away from the camp and hung 20 feet up in the air between two trees. There was lots of bear sign, but thankfully no bear encounters. Afterwards I fell back on my contingency plan, which was to move to Anchorage, get a job, and a place to live. I donated all my bulk food to Bean's Cafe.

I have absolutely no problem with people who want to experience the Alaskan bush, but there is a right-way and a wrong-way to do that. At the very least it is critical to know something about the environment, the flora, and the critters you are likely to encounter and be prepared to deal with them. It also helps if you already have some outdoor skills.

What McCandles did was just plain stupid. There is no other way to say it. He demonstrated a complete lack of common sense. In his situation he could have made a make-shift raft to get across the swollen river if he was desparate. It may have taken him miles downstream, but at least he could have gotten across. As you said, just a simple map of the area could have saved his life. McCandles should be our poster-child on how NOT to experience the Alaskan outdoors. He did absolutely everything wrong.

NOTE: I was going to say "Alaskan bush" instead of "Alaskan outdoors", but if you can drive a bus to the location then it really does not qualify as the "bush."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 PM

455 posts, read 743,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Many people want to live closer to nature and escape our vile society,
Vile society? Hey I'm part of society so I object! Hehe.

Escapism doesn't work - sooner or later you want to leave Walden Pond and back-slap a real person, vile as he/she may be. And then you have (ugh!) society again! Even in bush Alaska there is no isolation from vile society, just more pushy neighbors trying to understand you so they can protect you from yourself and themselves from you.

Don't knock vile society - as a concept it has been working for hundreds of thousands of years. The woods won't save you

PS I'm not picking on you directly, homesteader, you seem like a decent guy and not at all vile. Just pushing back against escapism for reasons of personal fulfillment.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post

Escapism doesn't work - sooner or later you want to leave Walden Pond and back-slap a real person, vile as he/she may be. And then you have (ugh!) society again! Even in bush Alaska there is no isolation from vile society, just more pushy neighbors trying to understand you so they can protect you from yourself and themselves from you.

Don't knock vile society - as a concept it has been working for hundreds of thousands of years. The woods won't save you

PS I'm not picking on you directly, homesteader, you seem like a decent guy and not at all vile. Just pushing back against escapism for reasons of personal fulfillment.
I do not think you understand us misanthropes. We are not truly happy unless we are completely alone and isolated from society. The only company I care to keep are with my dogs.

If I never saw another human being again, I certainly would not complain to my dogs.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 PM

225 posts, read 401,150 times
Quote:

WRONG, I have lived in the BUSH all my life and have not and will not ever want to live on the road system or as some of you refer to, your so called civilization. I have exactly everything I need and if I don't, I can live without it. My neighbors have 4 legs or wings and they are much better company. If a vile society worked, there would be no reason for authorities or military. So, no, it doesn't work. The woods do save you if you are smart enough to live in them. That is why there are those I call "CONCRETE ALASKANS", they need to be where everything is convienent, JMHO

Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
If a vile society worked, there would be no reason for authorities or military. So, no, it doesn't work.
Whoa there li'l doggy. Got the bold treatment. Hey, I appreciate your perspective but obviously you paid to be near the information superhighway so you could communicate to us vile humans on CD. Even your "four-legged" friends are social and have a system of authority and discipline (The Pack). I think it's cool you're into Utopia and all, and I hope you do find it in the woods. Just me, but as much as I love the bush, I love the good company of good people also.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I do not think you understand us misanthropes.
I think you're probably right on that.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Whoa there li'l doggy. Got the bold treatment. Hey, I appreciate your perspective but obviously you paid to be near the information superhighway so you could communicate to us vile humans on CD. Even your "four-legged" friends are social and have a system of authority and discipline (The Pack). I think it's cool you're into Utopia and all, and I hope you do find it in the woods. Just me, but as much as I love the bush, I love the good company of good people also.
That is a good point, why are you communicating on the internet, I'm not wanting to sound like a jerk but this forum can be like a cranky family or neighbor sometimes. I live in society but I like to be private most of the time. I'm sure I see people more than you do but mostly at the grocery store. My daughter is insulin dependent so we could never live far from medical care.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM

225 posts, read 401,150 times
Quote:
In case you arn't aware of this fact, I am 63 years old and don't appreciate being called "li'l doggy", I think I deserve more respect than that. We are not talking about my 4 legged friends. You should never assume things, I don't pay to be close to the super highway. As far as living in the woods, yes, I have found it for the last 63 years. Being out here, gives me the option of who I have for company. So, at this point we should agree to disagree,EH?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I spend a lot of time in remote areas and always need to have internet to communicate with vile humans.

There's a difference between society as a whole and individual human beings.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
In case you arn't aware of this fact, I am 63 years old and don't appreciate being called "li'l doggy", I think I deserve more respect than that. We are not talking about my 4 legged friends. You should never assume things, I don't pay to be close to the super highway. As far as living in the woods, yes, I have found it for the last 63 years. Being out here, gives me the option of who I have for company. So, at this point we should agree to disagree,EH?
Well I'm 93 and have earned the right to call you "li'l doggy" young man so don't sass me!

Hey in all seriousness I do respect you and your desire to live as you choose. I think I could learn a lot from you, so I'll leave it at that. All my best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska