Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 PM

212 posts, read 699,934 times

Advertisements

I don't see the problem in living in a bus in a new state.I once lived in my VW van in west palm beach for a month.I lived off the land.I got oranges and grapefruits from my friends trees.I hunted cooler fulls of food and beverage at the piggly wiggly on less than $5 of ammo a day.I bathed in the local waters and washed my clothes in the local fashion using silver colored bartering chips.I worked for a local and cleared his property totally in 2 hrs. of tiny little green trees that the locals called grass.I encountered a local driving with a family and kids dragging a muffler and roostertail of sparks up under the gastank and pulled him over like an original homeland security agent.Ordered him to turn off engine and evacuate the car while i operated withh some bailing wire.Quick operation,some minor battlefield burns.All patients saved!!!Since i was overwhelmed with my skill and savvy i refused the payment offered as no need.Ran outta ice and my fingers could have used some cold in the cooler.Soon i was on the edge of survival.Rancid deli meat,the cooler was in the 50's,gas low.I sold my roof rack and i survived.It was close,but i survived.

What could be different about Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
It wouldn't make much of series! Unless.........each week he comes so close to danger. Then the next week he somehow gets out of the predicament. The season finale could really be a finale!

TheY all ready did that sitcom, it was called "Gilligan's Island"....

Old 08-09-2009, 01:29 AM

This is kind of fun, let me answer your question for you... Your VW verses the "BUS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
I don't see the problem in living in a bus in a new state.I once lived in my VW van in west palm beach for a month.
Lets see, the low temps are in the "Light frost" range on the coldest day in the dark of winter in Florida....

Where the "Bus" is at, that would be about -50 +- or so, which is closer to about 80 degrees colder than the coldest day in Florida!

Quote:
I lived off the land.I got oranges and grapefruits from my friends trees.
No fruit trees here... Suppose you could eat some type of Tamarack needles...

Quote:
I hunted cooler fulls of food and beverage at the piggly wiggly on less than $5 of ammo a day.
Closest Piggly Wiggly is a couple thousand miles or so... Anything of like shopping is about 100 miles to the North in Fairbanks

Quote:
I bathed in the local waters and washed my clothes in the local fashion using silver colored bartering chips.
The local waters here will give you Hypothermia faster than you can get back out after jumping in... that would be on the warmer days...

Quote:
I worked for a local and cleared his property totally in 2 hrs. of tiny little green trees that the locals called grass.
Wilderness or wildland: A natural environment on Earth that has not been significantly modified by human activity.

Short version of the long one, basically nobody to work for by the "Bus"

Quote:
I encountered a local driving with a family and kids dragging a muffler and roostertail of sparks up under the gastank and pulled him over like an original homeland security agent.Ordered him to turn off engine and evacuate the car while i operated withh some bailing wire.Quick operation,some minor battlefield burns.All patients saved!!!Since i was overwhelmed with my skill and savvy i refused the payment offered as no need.Ran outta ice and my fingers could have used some cold in the cooler.
No locals to ride the regulations on, but the ones that are there would just as soon eat you than listen to you rant about them not complying with their "Waste disposal" plan, you know... "Does a bear **** in the woods?"

Quote:
Soon i was on the edge of survival.Rancid deli meat,the cooler was in the 50's,gas low.I sold my roof rack and i survived.It was close,but i survived.

What could be different about Alaska?
Not a thing, feel free to bring the VW up and give it a try...

As that great Wilderness guy once said, "Alaska, step off the bus and into the food chain"....

Last edited by starlite9; 08-09-2009 at 01:38 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 02:00 AM

To help assist any other people on just where the bus wasn't (in the Wild), here is the quadrants that you can either go to Google Earth and look up, or put into your local GPS and walk there.

You will clearly see the road that exists there and has been for decades...

www.google.earth.com

Lat. 63 degrees, 52 minutes, 6.25 seconds

Long. 149 degrees, 46 minutes, 9.52 seconds

When you zoom in on the bus, there is a bunch of photos that people have posted.

I haven't been able to fly out and take photos of it due to conflicts from both working up on the Arctic Ocean and when I am home, the sky is choked with smoke from forest fires (all 100% organic) and there is flying restrictions in my home area.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
This is kind of fun, let me answer your question for you... Your VW verses the "BUS"

Lets see, the low temps are in the "Light frost" range on the coldest day in the dark of winter in Florida....

Where the "Bus" is at, that would be about -50 +- or so, which is closer to about 80 degrees colder than the coldest day in Florida!

No fruit trees here... Suppose you could eat some type of Tamarack needles...

Closest Piggly Wiggly is a couple thousand miles or so... Anything of like shopping is about 100 miles to the North in Fairbanks

The local waters here will give you Hypothermia faster than you can get back out after jumping in... that would be on the warmer days...

Wilderness or wildland: A natural environment on Earth that has not been significantly modified by human activity.

Short version of the long one, basically nobody to work for by the "Bus"

No locals to ride the regulations on, but the ones that are there would just as soon eat you than listen to you rant about them not complying with their "Waste disposal" plan, you know... "Does a bear **** in the woods?"

Not a thing, feel free to bring the VW up and give it a try...

As that great Wilderness guy once said, "Alaska, step off the bus and into the food chain"....
I think he was being sarcastic. But I may be wrong.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I think he was being sarcastic. But I may be wrong.
So was I, but I was right...

Old 08-09-2009, 02:42 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Since I just watched this last night and was on cd at the same time.....
Why was the river swollen so he couldn't cross? Was it runoff or lots of rain? Why the heck didn't he try to find another route? They did a good job of showing how muck work it is to survive.
Don't worry, I enjoy the comforts of home. I felt bad for his parents not knowing,

Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Since I just watched this last night and was on cd at the same time.....
Why was the river swollen so he couldn't cross? Was it runoff or lots of rain? Why the heck didn't he try to find another route? They did a good job of showing how muck work it is to survive.
Don't worry, I enjoy the comforts of home. I felt bad for his parents not knowing,
In the spring, the river is really shallow and looks unassuming, the summer is when the snow melts off in the Mountains in Denali National Park and the river rises five to seven feet and is very swift. There really wasn't any place for him to go other up into the Park which would have been South from where he was at, but I would doubt that he would have survived very long. Best thing he could have done is set the bus tires on fire, the black smoke would have been visible for a hundred miles and would have attracted a bunch of agencies and pilots to the area.

Just having a "Tad" of common sense, could have saved his life.... just being "Book Smart" isn't enough.

Last edited by starlite9; 08-09-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 03:08 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Ok, thanks, It looked like snow melt and then he was walking on soupy permafrost.
You are right on with the tire burning. I have to think that he was a bit self centered and perhaps ego-centric to think that his little human self was a match for the wilderness, heck when he shot the moose I was waiting for the grizzly to come charging.
We had a couple run into some snow in the cascade range and get stuck, could have walked back down the road but well tragically were ill prepared.
Note to others, stay home
And what the heck with the 22?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:22 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
In my view that bus should be destroyed to keep all the dummies trampling around on what is now a pilgrimage to the bus. That bus was used for years by hunters and others who needed a sort of emergency shelter overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska