Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akRosie View Post
I was shocked when I realized how close to civilization he really was!
According to the video, its 28 miles in. Not close to civilization by any means.

YouTube - Hiking to the Into The Wild Bus; Arriving At The Bus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
According to the video, its 28 miles in. Not close to civilization by any means.

YouTube - Hiking to the Into The Wild Bus; Arriving At The Bus!
Road = Civilization

We are not talking about a magic flying bus after all. Although I would not put it past some lower-48ers to believe buses magically appear in the wilderness randomly.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:38 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Road = Civilization

We are not talking about a magic flying bus after all. Although I would not put it past some lower-48ers to believe buses magically appear in the wilderness randomly.

Well they're not always buses. I found a car once in the woods near my house a while back. Probably been sitting back there for 50+ years. It was pretty rusty so I decided not to camp in it. Didn't want tetanus .

Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Well they're not always buses. I found a car once in the woods near my house a while back. Probably been sitting back there for 50+ years. It was pretty rusty so I decided not to camp in it. Didn't want tetanus .
I will bet that car you found in the woods, just like this bus, was in close proximity to a road. I realize that for most lower-48ers as soon as they leave the "city limits", or get more than 5 miles from the nearest Starbucks, they think they are in the uncivilized "wilderness". However, in Alaska if you are anywhere near a road, or anything man-made, then by definition it cannot be "wilderness."

Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Let's put Elmendorf's F-22 Raptors to good use, bomb the bus!

Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I will bet that car you found in the woods, just like this bus, was in close proximity to a road. I realize that for most lower-48ers as soon as they leave the "city limits", or get more than 5 miles from the nearest Starbucks, they think they are in the uncivilized "wilderness". However, in Alaska if you are anywhere near a road, or anything man-made, then by definition it cannot be "wilderness."

Well, I wasn't trying to say it was in the "wilderness" lol. But it was in the woods .

If it's true and that bus was 28 miles from civilization then I would have to say that is "wilderness." Does a "road" lead to it or just small trails? If you get in trouble 28 miles away from help, more than likely you are going to die.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Well, I wasn't trying to say it was in the "wilderness" lol. But it was in the woods .

If it's true and that bus was 28 miles from civilization then I would have to say that is "wilderness." Does a "road" lead to it or just small trails? If you get in trouble 28 miles away from help, more than likely you are going to die.
How do you think a bus got 28 miles from "civilization?" Like I said, if there is a road nearby it cannot be construed as "wilderness." You lower-48ers have completely forgotten the meaning of the word.

City critters who have utterly no clue what true "wilderness" means are more than likely going to die even if they are less than a mile from help. They are out of their element, like a fish out of water, and that is precisely what happened to the fool Chris McCandless.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Ahhh now come on guys and gals....get the true story...the moose, deer and bears got together....stole the bus and dragged it out into the "wilderness" for their hide a camp during hunting season...see they sat around in the bus drink'n, smok'n and laughing at the lost hunters... safe and sound in their bus!!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
metla, I saw the movie (actually rented the dvd, the movie never played here) and I don't think Penn glorified the kid at all.
As far as the book goes, people should check out the revised edition. The original author includes a chapter at the last which gives a better explanation why the kid died.
The movie was actually pretty sad.
I did't read all the posts on this thread but I read a number of them. Yours is about it that didn't slam this kid. He was probably foolish for doing what he did, but I think there was more to it than any of us know about. It was his life and not for us to judge, especially with such cruelty and disrespect for someone so young that died so tragically.

Im sorry but I just don't find any humour, in many of the really stupid comments on this particular thread.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I did't read all the posts on this thread but I read a number of them. Yours is about it that didn't slam this kid. He was probably foolish for doing what he did, but I think there was more to it than any of us know about. It was his life and not for us to judge, especially with such cruelty and disrespect for someone so young that died so tragically.

Im sorry but I just don't find any humour, in many of the really stupid comments on this particular thread.
nope and people like you will never see any humor NOT HUMOUR in anything others have to say regarding something that no one can wrap the minds around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska