Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 04:01 AM

655 posts, read 917,314 times

Advertisements

The guy probably would have been dead in a few days if he had not stumbled upon that bus. I think many here should lighten up on the guy. He was only 23. He was only trying to live his dream, as stupid as many of us here think his dream might have been, how many of us can say the same thing?

We all did stupid things at that age. His just cost him his life. I tried sneaking my old high school girlfriend out at night from here home at the age of 17. Her father was a Marine Core Drill Sargent and a light sleeper, now just how stupid do you think that was? I still feel the affects from that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:10 AM

49 posts, read 185,175 times
Many don't understand what he was trying to do. He wanted to get away from everything (society)and was deep into Tolstoy and Thoreau. He offered the guy who drove him in his watch saying he didn't want to know what time it was or have any association with the outside world. He was idealistic to the extreame but not crazy and, if not for making a few key mistakes that lead to his death, he would have walked out of there as anonymously as he walked in. He felt you had to test yourself to be fully alive. He did what many have talked about but never had the guts to do. He could have easily gotten the best gear and brought food in, but he wanted to put into practice the core beliefs he had. I am not sure I admire him but it strikes a primal cord somewhere deep in my soul and many others. If your a Walmart, sitcom, never read a book, beer guzzling type I doubt you could come close to understanding this kid. People degrade what they don't understand. He had the balls to not just talk about his beliefs but to truly live them out.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,036,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
Many don't understand what he was trying to do. He wanted to get away from everything (society)and was deep into Tolstoy and Thoreau. He offered the guy who drove him in his watch saying he didn't want to know what time it was or have any association with the outside world. He was idealistic to the extreame but not crazy and, if not for making a few key mistakes that lead to his death, he would have walked out of there as anonymously as he walked in. He felt you had to test yourself to be fully alive. He did what many have talked about but never had the guts to do. He could have easily gotten the best gear and brought food in, but he wanted to put into practice the core beliefs he had. I am not sure I admire him but it strikes a primal cord somewhere deep in my soul and many others. If your a Walmart, sitcom, never read a book, beer guzzling type I doubt you could come close to understanding this kid. People degrade what they don't understand. He had the balls to not just talk about his beliefs but to truly live them out.
I see a business opportunity for someone. Start a service where you drop people off with a bag of rice and a sleeping bag...and a panic button gps.

Send them in to see how long they can make it...they can push the panic button when they want out. Sign all the appropriate hold harmless paperwork ahead of time.

There's your business plan...go for it.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,868 times
Quote:
If your a Walmart, sitcom, never read a book, beer guzzling type I doubt you could come close to understanding this kid. People degrade what they don't understand. He had the balls to not just talk about his beliefs but to truly live them out.

Okay first dont attack people that shop at walmart and drink beer, you come of as a snob.

Second, essentially what your saying is it was his dream to die? Other wise why go into an environment not properly prepared. You say he was idealistic, I say he was stupid.

Quote:
but he wanted to put into practice the core beliefs he had
Which were what? To say I lived off the land but not very well. In the end I tired and failed, because I wasnt prepared to do so.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,945 times
Right on Boston...

As far as his "core beliefs..." I don't think HE even knew what they were yet. Most people don't at that age.

Sad part is, according to the book and his diary, he had come to a realization that solitude is over-rated, and that perhaps his lofty ideals about how other people (i.e., his parents) should behave were a bit unreasonable. He had tried to come back across the river; didn't have a map or he would have been able to hike a bit downstream and cross easily.

Why is it always the people who DON'T live in the wilder areas think that these places are some kind of magic balm for what they see wrong with the world or themselves? We who live here...well, most of us who really are out in it view it as a survival challenge (and a fun time, of course) to go out into these places--short term, well-prepared, that is. Usually with a product of some kind in mind (fish, game, etc).

I, too, thought it was real romantic to camp out by myself when I first got here. Trouble is, after a week or two, you get rather tired of yourself. Other people might suck, but it's pretty lonely out there. In that lonlieness lies madness.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,657,304 times
Quote:
Many don't understand what he was trying to do. He wanted to get away from everything (society)and was deep into Tolstoy and Thoreau.
Keep in mind that this is an Alaska forum, and there are probably more than a small percentage of people in Alaska that know more about that sort of thing than either Tolstoy or Thoreau, never mind some youngster who idolizes them!

Quote:
He was idealistic to the extreame but not crazy and, if not for making a few key mistakes that lead to his death, he would have walked out of there as anonymously as he walked in.
Take your pick, makes no difference, he was either too stupid to stay alive, or too crazy to survive. I don't really know which is correct.

People who don't take the time and the effort to learn what it takes to be qualified and able to succeed at that sort of adventurous endevour tend to die because of it. Most people are sane/smart enough to realize that they aren't qualified. They either don't do it, or they first become qualified. Either way, they stay alive.

Quote:
He did what many have talked about but never had the guts to do.
I have no idea where you live or what your experiences in life are, but I live where probably half the population has spent more time just engaged in the simple process of living in (real) wilderness (not one connected to a road system hidden mostly by a few trees).

Quote:
He could have easily gotten the best gear and brought food in, but he wanted to put into practice the core beliefs he had.
I know people who were born in a tent, more than a hundred miles from the nearest doctor. It isn't rocket science, and it isn't buying store bought gear either. It's knowing what to do, and learning how before you put yourself in a life threatening situation.

Quote:
If your a Walmart, sitcom, never read a book, beer guzzling type I doubt you could come close to understanding this kid.
Perhaps true, but someone who actually does have the background to understand what he was looking at, will invariably scoff at the naive (either stupid or insane, ignorance) concepts that he had.

Quote:
People degrade what they don't understand. He had the balls to not just talk about his beliefs but to truly live them out.
Not true! He [b]didn't]/b] live them out. He died! of ignorance.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,607 times
they'll probably start a reality series! Seriously, the guy was an idiot--with mental problems on top of that.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:52 AM

7 posts, read 14,025 times
Default I am very soon

I am headed there in 2 weeks and staying 3 weeks. I heard from the city of healy that they want to take the bus out of the area bc they are tired of rescuing everyone who goes. My past military background should do just fine, I live in bosnia for 6 weeks on almost nothing during a conflict we had with them years ago. Any help though on how to get there from texas on small budget.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 PM

7 posts, read 14,025 times
Default let me know

What a elementary way of answering these peoples mind boggling way of human error and at all cost. I am from Texas and have traveled all around the world and me too i will be starting my adventure there in Healy. If you have any information as to the exact location; it would be most helpful. I am also trying to find my way from Austin MB on into Healy and ideas, is their a bus that can get me close and I will walk the rest. I am a special ops and army ranger and have survived off less than he ever did. Am I any brighter? probably not, just a guy searching for a new place to call home and enjoy natures very own.

Thanks for your writings on the matter and have a great weekend

Rick

Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Another lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska