Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post

But maybe that was the point. I thought the point was to attempt to survive under those circumstances. If you had all that you mentioned above then wouldn't that be just normal camping? Look, I would never do what he did and I know a bunch of people have tried before and after him. Pretty sure some people can do it and some people can't. You make it or you don't. He was an educated guy so I really don't believe he was stupid. Sorry, I just can't see the judgement when you didn't know him personally or anybody that does someone similar. Equivalent to jumping out of a plane with no parachute? I don't see it. He wanted to try to survive in the wild(or whatever you want to call it) and didn't succeed. That was his choice but I don't see him as an idiot. Just my opinion.
I don't see him as an idiot either, but neither do I see him as some kind of icon. I think I've said in this thread before that he was someone's brokenhearted and probably suicidal child...all the bashing concerning him rather leaves me cold.

What concerns us in Alaska is those that idolize and romanticize him. We don't need a bunch of idjits running around up here croaking all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
None of us were here so I won't phrase it "remember when"...but back in the day a person had to be packin what...a thousand pounds of food and gear to even be allowed to hit the Chilkoot Trail? There was a reason for that. Specifically so one didn't end up like the kid in the bus.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Okay...short of looking this up...not gonna happen, what time of year did he come or arrive...?

Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Okay...short of looking this up...not gonna happen, what time of year did he come or arrive...?

It was early spring after the intense cold was more of a freezing spring cold of zero at night. Once he decided to leave, the river was running high and swift with snowmelt water.

He died a few weeks before hunting season started, some of the hunters found him when they were getting ready to camp there for hunting.

When I flew over a couple of times when he was still alive, he was hiding and made no attempts to put out any sign of needing help. He could have lit the tires on the bus and attracted planes with the black smoke plume.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
None of us were here so I won't phrase it "remember when"...but back in the day a person had to be packin what...a thousand pounds of food and gear to even be allowed to hit the Chilkoot Trail? There was a reason for that. Specifically so one didn't end up like the kid in the bus.
I think it was more like a ton of supplies and they carried it mostly on their backs. But what you said gives a clear picture.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 AM

Still trying to fly up and take some photos of the bus before I head North, but the forest fires have so much smoke covering the area, you don't have much visibility at all. May have to wait til fall...

Old 07-12-2009, 11:00 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,703,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
April 28,1992.

And the guy who dropped him off at the start of the trail even offered to take him to Anchorage and buy him gear to help him out.

He was a real smart kid academically but no real outdoor experience. And really didn't take peoples advice on things.

Met said it he was a troubled child and stubborn. And thats what got him killed in the end.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
April 28,1992.

And the guy who dropped him off at the start of the trail even offered to take him to Anchorage and buy him gear to help him out.

He was a real smart kid academically but no real outdoor experience. And really didn't take peoples advice on things.

Met said it he was a troubled child and stubborn. And thats what got him killed in the end.

More than likely Met hit the nail on the head. The guy was a spoiled brat to boot, and wanted no advice from anyone because he already knew it all.

It amazes me that people read one book, see a movie or talked to someone in a bar and figure they have all the knowledge they need to get the job done... Seems that they needed to bone up on a few missing chapters!

I get a kck out of taking a "newby" up flying and they get amazed that there is a lot of "nothing" for hundreds of miles...just wilderness. Or there will be a long abandoned mine being grown over with nobody around, just buildings falling down.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times
For those unseasoned Alaskans or visitors,I would like to say this. We rode out that way as far as we could 2 weekends ago and walked just a little. That is a rough area out there,we didn't cross any of the creeks,streams but I could say that unless you KNOW exactly what your doing you are a FOOL for even trying to hike out that way. I thought ah it would be cool to see "The bus" but after a short walk I decided that the only picture of that bus I wanted to see was from the movie. Don't go out there with the idea it is a easy venture. You need proper gear,shoes,water,etc. And that is if you are only planning on a short trip. There were people out there that were going to "hike" in wearing sandals,they were CRAZY.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Here are a couple more just in today's news. Only they had an emergency locator beacon. They activated it and got the troopers and coast guard involved because they were sunburned...read all about it.

Daylong sun too much for Outside campers: Interior | adn.com
Obviously, these idiots never read this column.

Always Wear Sunscreen....

And the waste of the state's and fed's money to arrange a flight to check them out will have to be added up and billed to them for being idiots...

Ahh, the brains at work on this one amount to maybe 2 neurons apiece to add up to 2 morons. Larry, Moe and Curly demonstrate more at work upstairs on a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska