Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,432 times

Advertisements

<b><i>Oh excuse me. This is the room with all the smart people who talk about things and other people and live and work, go to Cancun, Overseas, etc but have no idea what is really out there. i.e. Been in a fire fight? Been in a foreign land scared to death 24/7 but drive on 19 hours a day? Play a concert for a few thousand people? Get booed, be cheered, accept applause? Be in the street at nights? get roughed up or knocked out? Get shot at? write a song, poem, story, book? March for civil rights?, Meet any world known people and discussed the weather-both political and entertainment? Be betrayed, lose all you own and rebound? Be betrayed again, lose everything again and rebound? Be betrayed hideously, lose all you own, go bankrupt, and bad luck, for some reason turns your family against you? Be alone with no friends, your kids don't talk to you, your parents don't talk to you but you keep your sense of self, most times shy, compassionate, big hearted, singer, songwriter, in other words not turn bitter...You're just alone? Live in an area where the "area" doesn't need the cops and the cops expect the same? How about you begin an adventure then realise you had enough and go back to where you came from or back to people you knew somewhere? Because that's what Chris did. Or tried to do. No?. I can tell. You take in all that happens , make judgements as to what you like and dislike then pontificate from your warm homes about whatever it is. Sorry to disturb you. Continue on....Everyone should know who you all are. Yeah.."everyone" is clueless about the wilderness. Only Alaska isn't the wilderness..It's The Wild. Like parts of Africa, Viet Nam, Phillipines, etc...</b></i>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
He was still an idiot...

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
I was extremely moved by the film, extremely. It's a shame so many feel the need to disrespect this kid, I applaud him for his beliefs or lack of. He didn't make a wise choice and he paid the price, why the need to be nasty by calling him an idiot. He was someone's child, brother, friend. Peace out

Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
I live about 30 miles, from Carthage, SDak, which was also featured, in this movie.......

https://www.city-data.com/forum/3209839-post10.html

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM

1,341 posts, read 3,912,210 times
It's not his fault that hollywood glorified him and people see him as heroic or idolize him now. He didn't ask for that. If you didn't know him personally I don't see how you can fully judge him by a book or movie. He done what he wanted to do, what he believed in. If I wanted and believed in joining the marines knowing I could very well die, does this make me an idiot? People join the military every day because they believe in themselves and their country and are still willing to fight for it. That doesn't make them "idiots." I see him as doing what he wanted to do in life and died for it. I don't look at him as a failure. But thats my opinion.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imthe109 View Post
<b><i>Oh excuse me. This is the room with all the smart people who talk about things and other people and live and work, go to Cancun, Overseas, etc but have no idea what is really out there. i.e. Been in a fire fight? Been in a foreign land scared to death 24/7 but drive on 19 hours a day? Play a concert for a few thousand people? Get booed, be cheered, accept applause? Be in the street at nights? get roughed up or knocked out? Get shot at? write a song, poem, story, book? March for civil rights?, Meet any world known people and discussed the weather-both political and entertainment? Be betrayed, lose all you own and rebound? Be betrayed again, lose everything again and rebound? Be betrayed hideously, lose all you own, go bankrupt, and bad luck, for some reason turns your family against you? Be alone with no friends, your kids don't talk to you, your parents don't talk to you but you keep your sense of self, most times shy, compassionate, big hearted, singer, songwriter, in other words not turn bitter...You're just alone? Live in an area where the "area" doesn't need the cops and the cops expect the same? How about you begin an adventure then realise you had enough and go back to where you came from or back to people you knew somewhere? Because that's what Chris did. Or tried to do. No?. I can tell. You take in all that happens , make judgements as to what you like and dislike then pontificate from your warm homes about whatever it is. Sorry to disturb you. Continue on....Everyone should know who you all are. Yeah.."everyone" is clueless about the wilderness. Only Alaska isn't the wilderness..It's The Wild. Like parts of Africa, Viet Nam, Phillipines, etc...</b></i>
Well I have been to the bus, stayed there and have a cabin on a lake just North of there, he clearly was a pompus idiot. That is not a place a clueless person goes to and expects to walk out of without issues. There are thousands of people that have met the same fate all over Alaska, they just died alone and were never found. Much less had left a diary to be made into a movie to glorify his inability to grasp just how much "Caca" he was in....

Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I can see someone "not from here" being moved by the movie. But for those of us that do live here...it was just a movie about a guy that had no idea what he was getting into. This scenario has happened over and over for years. Throughout the state. They ain't makin movies and books about the other hundreds of clueless folks that died in this state. And there are a hundred more to come. Whether it be boating, flying, hiking, rock climbing, you name it...there are many that come here and don't do a little research or ask for help before venturing off into...the wild. This guy was one of a thousand that has died over the years since this place was ever discovered. He just got lucky and had a movie made about his ordeal. Or was it unlucky...

Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I live about 30 miles, from Carthage, SDak, which was also featured, in this movie.......

https://www.city-data.com/forum/3209839-post10.html

Life isn't fair...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
If I wanted and believed in joining the marines knowing I could very well die, does this make me an idiot? People join the military every day because they believe in themselves and their country and are still willing to fight for it.

The difference is the military gives you, in most cases, the tools needed for you to survive. He didn't bring some of the most basic things I have been told that he would need to survive the winter.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Here are a couple more just in today's news. Only they had an emergency locator beacon. They activated it and got the troopers and coast guard involved because they were sunburned...read all about it.

Daylong sun too much for Outside campers: Interior | adn.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska