Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 11:51 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Ford View Post
Some of the grant money should be allocated to illuminating the bus up at night with powerful lights to help the tourists that are stumbling around in the dark find their way.
This was a joke, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 02:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This was a joke, right?
Must be!! 500,000 wouldn't be enough for the electric bill!!!

Old 10-30-2022, 04:15 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
My mistake on Army vs Air. As for who responds to the most distress calls, I couldn't say. What I can say is that the two times we made distress calls on behalf of others, it was the National Guard that showed up. I have a friend that was involved in a hunting accident in Prince William Sound and the USCG pulled him out of there.
All agencies are involved in rescues. All depends on the location the rescue takes place, and the mode of transportation. The rescues can happen in or over water, and on land. Sometimes the rescuers reach the site by driving, climbing, and so on. But lest say that the troopers and the fire department rescue crews must have and injured person taken to a hospital right away and the fastest way to do it is by air, then they ask for air support from the nearest place. The NAG responds a lot of the air rescues in remote locations, and on land and water as well.

https://dps.alaska.gov/AST/SAR/Home

The Army and AF also conducts rescue operations, and so the ANG, troopers, fire crews, and so on.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-30-2022 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-30-2022, 07:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,654,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All agencies are involved in rescues. All depends on the location the rescue takes place, and the mode of transportation. The rescues can happen in or over water, and on land. Sometimes the rescuers reach the site by driving, climbing, and so on. But lest say that the troopers and the fire department rescue crews must have and injured person taken to a hospital right away and the fastest way to do it is by air, then they ask for air support from the nearest place. The NAG responds a lot of the air rescues in remote locations, and on land and water as well.

https://dps.alaska.gov/AST/SAR/Home

The Army and AF also conducts rescue operations, and so the ANG, troopers, fire crews, and so on.

I think we are all saying the same thing. Alaska has what I believe to be the best first responders in the world. Who ends up responding depends on where, the nature of the distress, who is available, and the weather. Certainly not every response is with an aircraft or needs to be.

I love Alaska and venturing way out there (100s of miles form the nearest road sometimes). When we've come across issues that appear dire, we render the aid we can and communicate to the authorities by whatever communication device works about whats going down. After that, it's up to them who responds.

To me, there isn't a better sound in the world than the blades of a black hawk helicopter heading towards you.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I think we are all saying the same thing. Alaska has what I believe to be the best first responders in the world. Who ends up responding depends on where, the nature of the distress, who is available, and the weather. Certainly not every response is with an aircraft or needs to be.

I love Alaska and venturing way out there (100s of miles form the nearest road sometimes). When we've come across issues that appear dire, we render the aid we can and communicate to the authorities by whatever communication device works about whats going down. After that, it's up to them who responds.

To me, there isn't a better sound in the world than the blades of a black hawk helicopter heading towards you.
While I haven't experienced a rescue myself, I can only imagine that to the person being rescued the sound the helicopter makes is as sweet as heaven, and the louder the sweetest it becomes

Old 10-31-2022, 09:01 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Must be!! 500,000 wouldn't be enough for the electric bill!!!
Yeah I was going to say, clearly not familiar with GVEA rates! Hahaha

Old 11-02-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Yeah I was going to say, clearly not familiar with GVEA rates! Hahaha
Agree
Not only the rates, but my experiences with their customer service aren't very pleasant, even after being their customer for over 35 years

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-02-2022 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska