Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 12:41 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That contradicts what you previously posted.

Ray's previous post was very clear on that topic. There was absolutely NO contradiction. Reading comprehension is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 03:06 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What they do in Oregon for the endless rescues off of Mount Hood, is that there is no charge for the rescue if the lost hiker is wearing a personal locator beacon. If they go out unprepared without the beacon, Search and Rescue will go out and find them, but they get charged for the rescue, which is not cheap.

It doesn't actually stop people from being stupid, but it does help to defray some of the expense.

I'm not opposed to Search and Rescue, but it is irritating when idiots do stupid things and have to be found and saved, because when they do that they are putting the lives of the rescuers at risk.

I don't know how tough or dangerous the rescues are in the bus location, but at a minimum it takes the Search and Rescue personnel away from their jobs and families and there is expense for rescue vehicles and maybe a helicopter. If it is dangerous for a hiker to get stuck in a dangerous location, then it is dangerous for Search and Rescue to go in and fetch them out again.
That is what search and rescue is for. They fully know that.

After the hunters found the body of Chris, and reported the find, the sheriff who had the entire area to take care of, flew to the bus in a helicopter. That is how he had to decide what the status was of the body. So, getting to the location then was not difficult.

SOME who get lost or need help may not be fully prepared. They still all hopefully will get rescued. They have every bit of right to get out in the wild as anybody else does.

Old 10-27-2022, 03:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
After the hunters found the body of Chris, and reported the find, the sheriff who had the entire area to take care of, flew to the bus in a helicopter. That is how he had to decide what the status was of the body. So, getting to the location then was not difficult.

SOME who get lost or need help may not be fully prepared. They still all hopefully will get rescued. They have every bit of right to get out in the wild as anybody else does.
You don't know how far that chopper had to go to get there and what the weather was! This is Alaska! the risks are higher here! Are you afraid to post where you live?

Old 10-27-2022, 03:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
You don't know how far that chopper had to go to get there and what the weather was! This is Alaska! the risks are higher here! Are you afraid to post where you live?
This is a really good point.

I'm not sure most people realize how vast Alaska is. They think it's Anchorage with a few surrounding "suburbs" with a few mountains and an ocean or something like that.

Old 10-27-2022, 03:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What they do in Oregon for the endless rescues off of Mount Hood, is that there is no charge for the rescue if the lost hiker is wearing a personal locator beacon. If they go out unprepared without the beacon, Search and Rescue will go out and find them, but they get charged for the rescue, which is not cheap.

It doesn't actually stop people from being stupid, but it does help to defray some of the expense.

I'm not opposed to Search and Rescue, but it is irritating when idiots do stupid things and have to be found and saved, because when they do that they are putting the lives of the rescuers at risk.

I don't know how tough or dangerous the rescues are in the bus location, but at a minimum it takes the Search and Rescue personnel away from their jobs and families and there is expense for rescue vehicles and maybe a helicopter. If it is dangerous for a hiker to get stuck in a dangerous location, then it is dangerous for Search and Rescue to go in and fetch them out again.
That rule about rescues in Oregon makes a lot of sense. I could be done in Alaska, but I have no idea why our leaders haven't done it. The rescue operations in Alaska can be quite complicated and costly, because of the great distances and lack of roads. This place is enormous compared to other US states, and not very populated. A great number of villages don't have road access. Several of the smaller villages may have a gravel landing pad for small aircraft. A couple of the larger villages have paved runaways. The Air National Guard is actively involved in rescue operations, and these happen quite often.

Lots of the rescues happen during the hunting seasons, summer and winter. Also during the tourist season. We have a great number of small aircraft crashes all over Alaska. Also bear mauling, and all kinds of injures in remote areas. People get lost and die in the wilderness. Numerous people drown in the Copper River, and sometimes some are eventually found the next summer. It is very common for the remains to be consumed by bears. A few years ago a hunter spotted a bear and then realized that it was eating the remains of a person. This person had been swept by the current of the Copper River the year prior. The average number of air rescues per year is 450:
https://mountainjourney.com/alaska-w...reas-list-map/

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-27-2022 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-27-2022, 04:03 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is a really good point.

I'm not sure most people realize how vast Alaska is. They think it's Anchorage with a few surrounding "suburbs" with a few mountains and an ocean or something like that.
I am sure that there is not a single person who does not know how large Alaska is.

Roger Ellis was in September 92' Alaska State Trooper, in Central Alaska, He was in charge of 15,000 square miles. After the hunters found Chris, that trooper went there in a helicopter. It was not a problem for them. IF the weather had been bad, they would not have gone up there.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
I am sure that there is not a single person who does not know how large Alaska is.
You'd be surprised at the people who visit Alaska for the first time (or who've never visited and never will) who think that most of the state's communities are within an easy drive from Anchorage and who don't realize that most of the state is off the road system.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-27-2022 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-27-2022, 05:08 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,657,346 times
The bus was 20 miles west of the Parks Highway just north of Healy. Not hard to get to by helo. It's the Teklanika River that was the main problem, both for McCandless and the others.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:28 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,657,346 times
I want to say, the the 3 main responders to rescues in Alaska are the Alaska Army National Guard, the US Coast Guard, and the Alaska State Troopers. They are all highly qualified and dedicated to what they do. While I myself have never had to be rescued, and hope that never happens, I have been involved with the Army National Guard several times helping someone out. They know their stuff. The other two agencies do too.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:32 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
For the money that's being spent on it they could have just improved the trail with bridges, signage, street lights, safe spaces, and wifi hotspots. Okay just kidding on half of that, but a bridge over the river wouldn't be totally out of line as people are still going to make a pilgrimage to that spot, and a good chunk of them will have no business being in a place like that, and there will still be rescues and fatalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska