Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 06:51 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,000 times

Advertisements

If anyone is wondering, there are about 20 videos on here that show folks hiking up to the bus, even way before it was removed. Type it in on YouTube to check them out.

Last edited by demtion35; 10-26-2022 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 09:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
If anyone is wondering, there are about 20 videos on here that show folks hiking up to the bus, even way before it was removed. Type it in on YouTube to check them out.
We don't care.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:55 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
So I guess we continue to pay to rescue the idiots that get in trouble trying to make it to the "site" and call for help. I'm tired of it!
Do you feel the same way about then "idiots" who drive their cars recklessly down the highways and then crash into each other, and then call 911 for help? I bet not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzxGYDkwG8

Old 10-26-2022, 10:01 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We don't care.
I love how you have been elected to speak for "we".

Old 10-26-2022, 11:44 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Did anyone read the book? I did. I don't understand the worship of this guy. He didn't do his research, is why he died.

He also wanted to canoe to the mouth of the Colorado River where it empties into the Sea of Cortez. I know this area well, but anybody could learn that the area had long been reconfigured into irrigation canals, making this journey impossible.

Did any of the people who died not realize that fording the river would be a problem? It was in the book, I never saw the movie.

I think he also killed a moose but didn't know how to field dress it, I mean, who does that?
I haven't read it cover to cover...couldn't stomach some of his thoughts and rambling. Personally, I don't enjoy books written by such self-involved authors. I have seen the movie (OK, OK, everyone knows that isn't quite the same thing). It was a voyage of self discovery, and part of that is doing a thing without educating yourself about every aspect beforehand. Many times you simply don't know what you don't know. Not every wrong decision a person can make ends up being life threatening. What one person considers too high risk to mess around with another doesn't.

I don't excuse or condone the stupid stuff, but part of that is because I do know something about living in the boonies of AK and would know better than to make many of his mistakes. Just as you would apply your knowledge about the Colorado River mouth. Experience, and the knowledge it imparts is pretty hard to set aside once you've got it. You can't decide to go back to some more naive, ignorant state. Your knowledge will create a filter through which you view a thing forever.

As for those pilgrims determined to reach the bus site, I'm sure some of them realized what a hazard the river crossing would be and others didn't. The concept that you don't know what you don't know applies to them too. Even for an experienced person there is always chance and simple mishap...if they're dead it is pretty hard to ask them about that.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-26-2022 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-26-2022, 11:56 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Did anyone read the book? I did. I don't understand the worship of this guy. He didn't do his research, is why he died.

He also wanted to canoe to the mouth of the Colorado River where it empties into the Sea of Cortez. I know this area well, but anybody could learn that the area had long been reconfigured into irrigation canals, making this journey impossible.

Did any of the people who died not realize that fording the river would be a problem? It was in the book, I never saw the movie.

I think he also killed a moose but didn't know how to field dress it, I mean, who does that?
He didn't "do research" by intention. Killing the moose was a desperate act. No doubt about it, he was ill prepared to encounter the obstacles that came his way. Age 24, probably felt a bit invincible, right?

Sure, there are a few out there who "worship" him. Many more are simply fascinated by his journey.

As Alex Honnold recently said (I will paraphrase) about rock climbing can also be applied to other high risk activities:

"It inspires alot of emotional responses. When a guy completes a very difficult climb he/she may be hailed as a hero but if he falls he's an idiot. In fact, he's the same guy either way."

Bus restoration price: That's a whopper! Should be a fun project for several people.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
At least she is from Alaska, and has business here, unlike yourself.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:11 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Do you feel the same way about then "idiots" who drive their cars recklessly down the highways and then crash into each other, and then call 911 for help? I bet not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzxGYDkwG8
What? How can you compare a traffic accident rescue to the ones of people who are stranded somewhere? In a traffic accident not all involved are responsible for causing the accident, and all rescue operations are paid for by local and federal governments, regardless of the location (wilderness, home, road, etc. If it is decided that a certain person caused and accident, then the person has to answer in court. The courts would have a very difficult time to charge a person of being negligent for being stranded in the wilderness and then rescued.

The money for rescue operations comes from all tax payers. But the cost of hospital and other care, lawsuits, and so on, are the responsibility of the people involved.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
She is right, too. Most Alaskans, including myself, don't care about such videos. But they do make for funny "fails," and make some people laugh.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:54 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,000 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nU5K4lCfrY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska