Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times

Advertisements

Oh, I don't think it will happen, but I do ponder the "what if" it happens scenario. Makes for interesting thought.

And, yes, the moose would be decimated near populated areas, but there aren't really that many of those areas.

Then, there are caribou, salmon, halibut, bears, etc.

Just no corn, dang it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I understand that the farmers in Mat-Su just got their crops in the ground. Does that mean that you won't have any veggies till September?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well I still intend to move up, the storm isn't going to stop me if I can help it (but good God, I'm going to need to budget at least twice as much as I thought I would just for gas to get there, and that's assuming we don't have $10 gas next year!). I think those who are able to be relatively self-sufficient will fare well, everyone else will be in a lot of trouble though, especially in winter. It's one thing when you have acres and acres of woods around you for heat, entirely another when you're in a city or town and rely on oil or gas for heat, or you're simply unable to use wood.

A lot of people in VT that I know have always joked about moving to the South when the winters get bad here. These days, a lot of them aren't joking at all, and I suspect the same will be true in AK, many will flee the state for warmer places...I know several people in VT who are moving South this year, they know they won't make it financially through another winter, oil was much lower this past winter (high but not as bad as now) and it destroyed many budgets. Obviously with such high prices now many won't make it.And it's not just the price of heating fuel, it's everything, from rent to food to clothing, and the economy is terrible here in terms of jobs so obviously it's a recipe for disaster. The government will be overun with people looking for government assistance this winter here, and things could get ugly.

I'm sure some people will be moving to Anchorage and nearby from more remote areas, but that won't be a good situation in the long run. They may save on fuel and transportation for supplies, but they'll be virtually entirely dependent on purchased items with no real backup like one can have in the bush, so as things get worse and worse...
Life in the bush (AK) can be quite tough. Those folks moving to the city understand very well that it's easier to survive in the city than it's out there. They are closer to hospitals, government facilities and help, etc. Living in the bush requires the purchasing of lots of products needed to survive out there. You won't believe how much of these products are shipped to the bush every day by the big stores in town unless you see it with your own eyes. To survive out there during the winter months, at least where it gets real cold, requires the catching of lots of fish during the summer. Also, you must hunt enough game for meat to take you through the long winter. You can't grow veggies for months, and often you won't find any game to hunt nearby during the winter.

Just sit down inside a cabin that is well stocked for winter survival: take a count of every item, every canned-food, utensils, candles, lanterns, fuel for the lanterns, matches for the candles or to light the firewood, the stove, pots, pans, small radio, batteries for the radio, hand tools, forks, knives, spoons, nails, clothing, boots, needle and thread...and on and on...must be brought it from outside. The meat in the cash, if any, has to be brought inside to thaw before you can cut chunks to cook (well, you can always saw it outside, I guess).

Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The meat in the cash, if any, has to be brought inside to thaw before you can cut chunks to cook (well, you can always saw it outside, I guess).
I used to run the chainsaw through a log to get the oil off of it and then saw off a steak, bring it in and throw it in the frying pan...ah...the life of a bachelor.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I used to run the chainsaw through a log to get the oil off of it and then saw off a steak, bring it in and throw it in the frying pan...ah...the life of a bachelor.
Yep, it works with a chainsaw. I forgot to mention a "chainsaw" in my previous post, and gasoline for it One can do saw it while frozen with a bowsaw, but maybe indoors (in the cabin) to avoid freezing the sweat on one's forhead. A chainsaw and some fuel, plus a sharpener, are invaluable out there.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM

310 posts, read 778,063 times
You think that's bad, just wait til the year 2000 whe n all of the
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Reading multiple reports from numerous sources.... How will Alaska do during this great depression we are heading into to?

Oil to $200 by year's end
Unleaded $9 per gallon by year's end.
Dollar to loose another 10-15%
Unemployment increasing to double digits
Housing market continues to fail
Big banks fail
interest rate cuts by the feds do nothing for stimulous
energy costs doubling
air travel reduced by 60% nation wide
Airlines cgoing under daily
Food costs up 40%
Many areas of the country have food shortages
Record year for large wild fires
Droughts up and down the eastern coast
Record year for tornadoes and other natural disasters

The list goes on and on, but I'll stop here.

Will Alaska see another bust as in the 80's or due to oil resources will it thrive?
You think that's bad, just wait til all of the computers go haywire in the year 2000!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
You think that's bad, just wait til all of the computers go haywire in the year 2000!
I think you're 8 years behind.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:48 PM

109 posts, read 289,368 times
I think most Alaskans will fare pretty well...those that give up and leave would not make it through a natural disaster I wouldn't think. Most any prep I do is for the eventual Castle Mountain fault cutting loose. It's north of me, but not by much. I can only imagine what is going to happen then-yikes!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:42 PM

Its raining!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,136 times
Oil to $200 by year's end COULD BE AROUND $100, PEAK IS PREDICTED JULY 4TH AT $150
Unleaded $9 per gallon by year's end. $150 = ~ $5.00, NOT $9.00.
Dollar to loose another 10-15% COULD NOW INCREASE ACCORDING TO MANY
Unemployment increasing to double digits NEVER HEARD THAT
Housing market continues to fail BUBBLE IS CORRECTING, DAY BY DAY, SOME MARKETS ARE APPRECIATING (go to money.com and see!)
Big banks fail ALMOST NONE WILL, SOMETHING LIKE 0.1% IS IN TROUBLE
interest rate cuts by the feds do nothing for stimulous NEVER, EVER HAVE CUTS HAD NO IMPACT BEFORE
energy costs doubling SOME YES, OTHERS, NO.
air travel reduced by 60% nation wide I AM HEARING 10-15%
Airlines cgoing under daily A FEW MERGERS, SOME ROUTE REDUCTIONS, BUT NO MASS COLLAPSE
Food costs up 40% SOME FOODS, BUT BY NO MEANS EVERYTHING
Many areas of the country have food shortages NO ONES GOING HUNGRY, MOST PEOPLE NEED TO DIET!
Record year for large wild fires WHAT CONNECTION DOES THIS WILD PREDICTION HAVE TO OIL PRICES???
Droughts up and down the eastern coast DITTO ABOVE
Record year for tornadoes and other natural disasters DITTO ABOVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska