Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:09 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Many areas of the country have food shortages NO ONES GOING HUNGRY, MOST PEOPLE NEED TO DIET!
That's so true. I'm seeing a nutritionist right now to help me look like Fabio in my Speedos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,127 times
Quote:
Oil to $200 by year's end COULD BE AROUND $100, PEAK IS PREDICTED JULY 4TH AT $150
Unleaded $9 per gallon by year's end. $150 = ~ $5.00, NOT $9.00.
Dollar to loose another 10-15% COULD NOW INCREASE ACCORDING TO MANY
Unemployment increasing to double digits NEVER HEARD THAT
Housing market continues to fail BUBBLE IS CORRECTING, DAY BY DAY, SOME MARKETS ARE APPRECIATING (go to money.com and see!)
Big banks fail ALMOST NONE WILL, SOMETHING LIKE 0.1% IS IN TROUBLE
interest rate cuts by the feds do nothing for stimulous NEVER, EVER HAVE CUTS HAD NO IMPACT BEFORE
energy costs doubling SOME YES, OTHERS, NO.
air travel reduced by 60% nation wide I AM HEARING 10-15%
Airlines cgoing under daily A FEW MERGERS, SOME ROUTE REDUCTIONS, BUT NO MASS COLLAPSE
Food costs up 40% SOME FOODS, BUT BY NO MEANS EVERYTHING
Many areas of the country have food shortages NO ONES GOING HUNGRY, MOST PEOPLE NEED TO DIET!
Record year for large wild fires WHAT CONNECTION DOES THIS WILD PREDICTION HAVE TO OIL PRICES???
Droughts up and down the eastern coast DITTO ABOVE
Record year for tornadoes and other natural disasters DITTO ABOVE!

The People are the Government not the Politicians that rape steal and kill. Maybe if more people woke up we can save something , cause I refuse to live a dillusional life; its the ultimate Irresponsible ( screw-up) thing to do.

I still say-- the sheep getting off work go to the addiction of food, sex, alchohol, drugs and then top it of with brainwashing TV and DONE-- the deed is done -- another piece of human waste.

I know this isnt the case accross the board but try to explain to me why the USA is goiong the way of the roman empire at a faster clip every year?

What neighboorhood or borough are you ganna pick? What if the locals are are worthless?

Would you be willing to trade all the days of the past in slavery for 1 day of Freedom?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,427 times
Quote:
Oil to $200 by year's end COULD BE AROUND $100, PEAK IS PREDICTED JULY 4TH AT $150
Unleaded $9 per gallon by year's end. $150 = ~ $5.00, NOT $9.00.
Dollar to loose another 10-15% COULD NOW INCREASE ACCORDING TO MANY
Unemployment increasing to double digits NEVER HEARD THAT
Housing market continues to fail BUBBLE IS CORRECTING, DAY BY DAY, SOME MARKETS ARE APPRECIATING (go to money.com and see!)
Big banks fail ALMOST NONE WILL, SOMETHING LIKE 0.1% IS IN TROUBLE
interest rate cuts by the feds do nothing for stimulous NEVER, EVER HAVE CUTS HAD NO IMPACT BEFORE
energy costs doubling SOME YES, OTHERS, NO.
air travel reduced by 60% nation wide I AM HEARING 10-15%
Airlines cgoing under daily A FEW MERGERS, SOME ROUTE REDUCTIONS, BUT NO MASS COLLAPSE
Food costs up 40% SOME FOODS, BUT BY NO MEANS EVERYTHING
Record year for large wild fires WHAT CONNECTION DOES THIS WILD PREDICTION HAVE TO OIL PRICES???
Droughts up and down the eastern coast DITTO ABOVE
Record year for tornadoes and other natural disasters DITTO ABOVE!
Nice post. The Chicken Littles I can do without. However, unless some of these idiot politicians get the balls to tell the lying eco-nuts to GFT, we'll continue to be at the mercy of others when it comes to energy shortages. And that won't happen if the Surrendercrats keep running things. Unfortunately, there are far too many stupid/lazy people in this country who can vote and we can probably count on the next four years being full of insanity.

It kind of reminds me of Jimmy Carter. It took his special brand of incompetence(Obama) to get Reagan elected.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Oh, I don't think it will happen, but I do ponder the "what if" it happens scenario. Makes for interesting thought.

And, yes, the moose would be decimated near populated areas, but there aren't really that many of those areas.

Then, there are caribou, salmon, halibut, bears, etc.

Just no corn, dang it!
Actually, one could argue that corn is at the root of the problem. Oddly enough, most farms have pushed out all livestock and crops in order to grow corn (#2 corn, not edible to humans in it's natural form). Corn robs the land of nitrogen, so tons of artificially fixed nitrogen (which uses gallons and gallons of petroleum - and is residual from munitions manufacture) get dumped on the fields because there is no natural fertilizer there. Then this cheap crappy corn gets transported (more petroleum) all over the world to feed livestock in feed lots -- fed to animals that aren't even designed to eat corn, like cows and salmon. Corn in some form is in 85% of everything we eat, and is highly processed and broken down to make food additives... which burns up even more petroleum.

Now, there's the big push for E85 -- more cheap corn. It actually requires more (petroleum) fuel to process corn into E85 industrially than you save not putting gas in your car. How insane is that?

A food shortage in the land of plenty will be caused because the crap we're growing can't actually be eaten in it's natural form and must be processed either mechanically/chemically or through the digestive systems of animals. For god's sake... someone please stop the corn monoculture and grow some vegetables!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 AM

202 posts, read 821,087 times
Default what?

I don't understand the concern about Alaska. We are exporters of oil and natural gas, so our situation is more relevant to Canada than the Lower 48. I feel sorry for folks down south that don't have low or nonexistent taxes and a PFD check every year.
I do see a situation of have and have nots here though. If you are on gas, you have not seen the pain, but on oil, whoa nelly. I can't imagine what my friends back in Kodiak are paying for heat nowadays. My friends in Seward are getting hammered.
So if you move here, be sure you get into a house that's on gas. Also, people are moving back into the cities so forget that dream of living in the woods unless you're retired, rich or can live like a caveman.
For myself, I fish and garden and if it looks really bad, I'll have to put in that root cellar I've been thinking about and store a whole bunch of them delicious Matsu taters.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
fed to animals that aren't even designed to eat corn, like cows and salmon.
Why would anyone feed salmon, corn?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Why would anyone feed salmon, corn?
Because corn is cheap and (over) abundant... lots of salmon farms are now breeding salmon that will tolerate corn meal/feed :shakes head:

First we're overfishing the anchovies in S.America to feed the N.American pig farms, now we're feeding corn to fish. WTF???!!!! When was the last time you saw a pig swimming in the ocean diving for food, or a salmon swimming through a field to eat corn?! Crazy insane!!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Because corn is cheap and (over) abundant... lots of salmon farms are now breeding salmon that will tolerate corn meal/feed :shakes head:

First we're overfishing the anchovies in S.America to feed the N.American pig farms, now we're feeding corn to fish. WTF???!!!! When was the last time you saw a pig swimming in the ocean diving for food, or a salmon swimming through a field to eat corn?! Crazy insane!!
That's very bizarre. Why not just feed animals what they're used to eating?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
That's very bizarre. Why not just feed animals what they're used to eating?
The simple answer is "profit" -- corn is so abundant and easy to grow that it is cheaper to force a cow to eat corn than to maintain adequate pasture acreage that would allow it to eat the (low quality) grasses for which it's digestive system was designed. Also, pasture-fed animals gain weight (meat) much slower than force-fed grain animals, either wheat or corn. The longer the animal takes to gain enough weight to butcher for meat, the more money you have to "waste" on feeding and caring for it and the less profit you make.

Feeding an animal a "species appropriate" diet is by far the healthiest method for all involved - the animal, the environment and the people who eat them. But now that food has become an "industry" and food stuff a "commodity", it all comes down to yield, profit and loss... just columns in a ledger book. Unfortunately, while the big agribusinesses are making oodles of profit the small farmers are suffering, the animals are suffering, the environment is suffering, and our health is suffering. I don't think it's a coincidence that American health problems and obesity has drastically risen since the 80's when scientists figured out how to make high fructose corn syrup out of #2 corn (not to mention all the other additives found in the food we eat - lecithin, xantham gum, dextrose...).

So, we steal the anchovies from the salmon to feed our pigs, and then feed the salmon the corn that is grown on farms that used to have grass pasture to feed livestock... which are now also being force-fed cheap corn (and cheap wheat in some instances). The whole system is completely out of whack and not environmentally/ecologically/evolutionarily sound - but the almighty dollar doesn't care... it's all about using the cheapest materials to produce the most amount of product which can be sold at the highest profit regardless of whether those raw materials aren't nutritionally viable anymore. It doesn't matter than the "new way" of doing things isn't sustainable or healthy and requires more energy (oil) to produce... the food industry has found a way to beat nature and that's a boon for them. Well, at least for now anyway.

Just an example: an average meal for 3 people at a fast food place is 4510 calories - enough calories to last 2 of those people the ENTIRE day. And that same meal, to grow and process that amount of food calories, took at least ten times as many calories of fossil fuel... about 1.3 gallons of oil. For the money and quantity, you'd be better off calorically just drinking the oil!!

OK - getting off my soap box now

Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Oh it's okay. Haven't you heard? Obama, the Messiah is coming, and he will make it all better. (Boo-ha-ha!!)

I get what you are saying, the Obamamessiah is all but elected, now. It pains me to think America wants a President that seems to resent this very country. Obamamessiah is just the symptom, though. It's this corrupt culture we live in, people have lost not only morality, but patriotism, and common sense. Wether the Obamamessiah is elected or not:

As for me and my house, we will trust in the Lord! (the real One!)

Thats why, at least for me and my house, things will be OK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska