Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
If you have a full choke, slugs can be a problem. I've used sabot slugs in a modified choke without trouble, though.
That's true, and I forgot to mention it. That may be the reason why it's loaded with buckshot at the moment. Hopefully she won't load slugs on a shotgun with a choke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
A 12 ga. with slugs is considered the standard for bear protection. It’s what you’ll find professional bear guards, forest service, etc. carrying.

The debate about what handguns, if any, are effective against bears, particularly Grizzly, continues. Everything I’ve read says that 357 is practically worthless, and 44 mag is not much better unless you get lucky (though there was a case of a retired vet that killed a black bear with a 44 last year here in Anchorage). The consensus seems to be that 454 Casull is the minimum, with the newer 460 and 500 S&W’s even better. Also, most seem to agree that even these big hand-cannons should really only be considered as backup for when you don’t have the shotgun handy.

I’ve been looking at the new S&W 460 XVR’s lately. Beautiful guns, but they are huge, heavy, and expensive. I still carry my trusty old S&W 44 mag Mod 29. I figure it’s better than nothing.

Finally, recent articles published in various places all conclude that Bear Spray has been found in studies to be more effective in bear encounters than handguns, largely due to the ease of use in a high stress situation. Handguns require lots of training to achieve and maintain the high level of proficiency needed to successfully defend oneself from a charging bear!
Take a close look at a Mossberg 500A. It's a pump shotgun with a stock, plus a pistol grip, both interchangeable. The barrel is 18" long. I prefer this one with the pistol grip removed and replaced with the stock. Very easy to point in the right direction, but again, for close shots.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
high confidence tools.
bear mace
mossburg
a dog

low confidence tools
hand guns
knives
karate

Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
karate
Haha not on a bear Mr. Huckleberry, unless you care to demonstrate.

Btw to the original RP, I have heard two cases taken down by .40S&W, one after 10 rounds, one after 11 rounds. One of the instances was at Katmai National Park and Preserve a few years back. I'm sure there are better choices, .44 magnum, .50 desert eagle, etc. and a .357 revolver is certainly better than nothing.

Grizzly Bears and the .357 Magnum

From Alaska State Parks: Most people who hike in Alaska’s wilderness don’t carry a weapon. They know that the best defense is common sense. Traveling and camping carefully are all that they need. If you feel the need for additional protection, consider carrying "pepper spray", a bear deterrent made from the juice of red-hot peppers. This incapacitating spray teaches bears a lesson without permanently maiming them. It’s available at local sporting goods stores and at visitor centers. Be familiar with the characteristics of the brand you choose and its warnings.

You are allowed to carry a gun for protection in state parks. Remember, though, that more people are hurt by the guns they carry than are hurt by bears. Select a gun that will stop a bear (12-gauge shotgun or .300 mag rifle) and practice firing it at a rifle range. Any bear shot in self defense must be salvaged and turned over to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:33 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,679 times
Can someone please tell me what in the world a choke on a shotgun is????? I'm not finding much info on my own. Thank you.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:07 AM

391 posts, read 1,029,879 times
A choke is simply a tapered constriction of the gun barrel’s bore at the muzzle end. The exit end of the choke is smaller by some dimension than the actual bore of the barrel. This difference is the amount of constriction. For example if the bore of the barrel is .730 and the exit dia of the choke is .710 you have a constriction of .020. The amount of constriction for a given degree of choke will also vary between manufacturers but as a general rule for standard chokes the total range will be between .000 and .045 thousandths of an inch. The length of the choke can vary as well. Most, but not all chokes will have an overall length of between 1.5 and 4 inches.

They can be grouped in 3 general types:

1-Fixed chokes- They are made as an integral part of the barrel and cannot be readily changed except by a gunsmith and any alteration is considered permanent.

2-Interchangeable chokes- These can be of the ‘screw on” style which is externally attached or the “screw in” which is recessed into the barrel. To change the degree of constriction you simply remove and replace with a choke of a different diameter.

3-Adjustable chokes- This style of choke is adjustable throughout the entire range by turning a sleeve, which collapses or allows a collet to expand thus changing the exit diameter. A popular choke of this type is the Polychoke.

Credit to: Expert Advice (http://www.fieldandclays.com/expert_chokes.htm - broken link)

If/when you get some bear spray, pay attention to the holster/carry that the can comes with. I have one bottle that is made for belt carry (not as useful as it sounds) and one that came with a chest rig where the bottle is secured at approximately across my sternum. Always there and pretty much always stays out of the way. I can't stand the other holster honestly.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Can someone please tell me what in the world a choke on a shotgun is????? I'm not finding much info on my own. Thank you.
Take a look at this:
A Century of Bear-Human Conflict in Alaska

On the same page, look for a study on bear sprays (just go to the "home page," and look for it there).

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-13-2008 at 02:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 02:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,679 times
Awesome icarian, thank you so much. I will show this to my DH for him to learn as well. I'm, looking at the bear mace study as well thanks Ray.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:29 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
A choke modifies the pattern of the pellets from the shotgun. Normally a full choke will give you a tighter group of shot farther down range.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:26 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
If you are going to shoot slugs and slugs only, buy yourself a rifled barrel for your shotgun. This puts a spin on the slug making it more stable in flight. In a plain barrel with a choke, you'd want a improved chamber choke, this is the thinest choke available. If you were to shoot a normal round with a improved chamber, you'd have a very big spread out shot. A modified choke tightens up the pattern of shot or bb's and goes a little farther. As stated by Arcticthaw, a full choke keeps the pattern tighter longer and goes farther. Your best bed for slugs is a rifled barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska