Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Now would a 12 gauge have any effect on a polar bear?
Yes!
ALL NEGATIVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:23 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Now would a 12 gauge have any effect on a polar bear?
Well, I was watching a documentary from Churchill, Canada where an older lady dropped one dead with one shot from her shotgun loaded with buckshot, I imagine. The bear dropped on her porch, in front of the door.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:26 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
Well I have the most interesting news to share...I told you guys that a few nights ago our neighbors (live a 1/4 mile down the lane) told us that some other neighbors had seen a mama sow grizzly and her 2 cubs. So knowing they were around we took precautions. We decided to take the landlord (who lives in Oregon) up on his offer of letting us use a shotgun he had left in his shed and try to bear proof the property.
That's why I had so many questions about the gun.
Alot of Good that did!

Last night, well this morning around 2:30am the dogs were barking and it was different. So we got up to check on them and there happen to be the 2 cubs in our driveway (more like a gravel parking lot in front of the house) and mama was watching from about 100 feet down the driveway. They knocked over and rummaged through our trashcan. We didn't shoot at them cause well they are cute. And they weren't hurting anyone. Alan was also able to safely sneak out and bring all 3 dogs in.

Our neighbor had been previously awaken by a bear breaking the window next to his bed and sticking his head in the window a few feet from the man. He rolled out of bed so fast he bruised or broke a few ribs. He told us that there was actually 4 bears, 2 big, 2 little. Fish and Game and the troopers came out but aren't going to do anything because they haven't attacked anyone or any livestock. But did tell us we were allowed to shot them if they were o n our property again ~ we won't unless they are attacking one of our dogs. Plus if the bears were actually in the Wasilla city limits (which we are not) and they were to relocate them, they would bring them to where we live anyway cause here at the base of the mountains is there natural home. Needless to say Alan is getting some more slugs for the shotgun today!!!

I did see on the gun it also said 2 3/4 & 3", I'm assuming that means the size bullets and it said FULL below it, does this mean the gun already has a full choke????

Well I guess this was a WELCOME TO ALASKA for us. It won;t scare us off we will just take the necessary steps to protect us and ours from the beauty of the awesome state. I think I will need to get some electric fencing for our chicken coop tho. Do y'all think it will work?

Stephanie

Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
They knocked over and rummaged through our trashcan.
And they will be back until you fix this. You're supposed to not put trash out until the morning of your pickup, and it's still supposed to be in an approved locking container.
You can get a ticket for not following this rule. I bewlieve first offense is still 50 bucks, 2nd and higher is more.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post

I did see on the gun it also said 2 3/4 & 3", I'm assuming that means the size bullets and it said FULL below it, does this mean the gun already has a full choke????

Stephanie
Yes, that is exactly what that means, do not use rifled slugs in the shotgun, i would suggest you go buy one, a pump, with choke tubes, the Mossburg would be sufficient, if you want to go a bit better quality go with Winchester or Remington, a little better quality (my personal preference) go with Browning and you will also have a shotgun you could use for Ducks, Doves, Ptarmigan (sp?), yes, of course, the other makes of Shotgun would also be sufficient for hunting as well, I've been told that I am a snob when it comes to my choices in firearms, mebbe so.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:19 PM

The trash can is in my yard not out on the street. I have no garage or shed to put the can in and this is the can I pay to have picked up every Wed. How am I suppose to "put it up" on my property??? I would love suggestions!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Yes, that is exactly what that means, do not use rifled slugs in the shotgun, i would suggest you go buy one, a pump, with choke tubes, the Mossburg would be sufficient, if you want to go a bit better quality go with Winchester or Remington, a little better quality (my personal preference) go with Browning and you will also have a shotgun you could use for Ducks, Doves, Ptarmigan (sp?), yes, of course, the other makes of Shotgun would also be sufficient for hunting as well, I've been told that I am a snob when it comes to my choices in firearms, mebbe so.

Ok, I can't afford to get a new gun at the moment so I need to work with the 12 g shotgun that I already have. Are you saying I can not use slugs in it at all, or do I need a special type of bullet...I'm sorry I'm just a little confused.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:24 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
also, properly speaking, for a "shot gun" they are not bullets, they are shot, they are "shells" normally filled with shot (little round pellets of lead, or steel, they are not bullets), although, a rifled slug is a bullet, but when asking for a box of 12 guage rifled slugs, they will know what you mean, if you ask for "bullets for my shotgun" they will also know what you mean but you have just told everyone else in the room that you do not know what you are doing, however true this may be, sometimes one really doesn't want to advertise. A sabot slug, the clerk will know what it is, will work even in fairly heavily choked shotguns, barring that, load up on OO Buck, take out the plug or, take the gun with you to the store and ask if they could remove the plug, if it has one, aim for the eyes and nose, unload the weapon at that point of aim, reload and do it again.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 07-14-2008 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
"What kind of Guns do we need?????"

AK47 assault rifles, and hurry, there's no time to spare. You could be eaten by a bear any day.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Depends on the type of slug. A soft lead Foster type rifled slug is safe in a full choke (though the accuracy may be another matter). A hard brenneke type wouldn't be. I've got loads of Remington sluggers because they're just fine in my choked guns (and they're cheap at the local gun store) so I don't have to worry about choke or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska