Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:30 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
I wouldn't vote for this ticket or anything with mcCANT on it however the nomination of Condi Rice would have been much better

Surely you jest...

Old 08-30-2008, 03:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Why isn't anyone mentioning the economy, or are we all so blindsided with this "letting the economy run its own cross" while legislators monkey with agreements behind out back.?
I don't care about the abortion issue...look at what the offshoring of jobs has done to the Taxpaying American family:???

Old 08-30-2008, 03:41 PM

286 posts, read 1,150,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Palin has more experience as a governor and a mayor than Obama has had as a senator...most of his term has been spent campaigning, NOT performing his duties as a senator.

Not sure I perceive your point on this one. What is McCain doing these days? What will Palin be doing from now on?

As Americans we accept this every four years and we excuse it. How else can we get to know the candidates?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:41 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are correct. Palin is the type of person who would come to you and shake your hand. I have not met her face to face, but seen her around Fairbanks in the crowd. There was a snowmobile race last winter, and she was waiting at the finish line for her husband (who was racing) at finish line with the rest of the crowd. She was jumping up and down and screaming like the rest there

If you look at photos of her, you will notice that there are always people around her. When she announced the total PDF cash to be received by Alaskans, she gets in front of the camera and screams, "Oh baby!" Then proceeds with the announcement.
This story tells more about her husband:
Husband of veep choice is snowmobile racer - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Bottom line, I like this pick by McCain and the more I read about this lady, the more I like her. She has values and a backbone, something Washington is lacking! I think she is a new, exciting and refreshing face for the old typical Washington fart to deal with. This pick by McCain will either pay big dividends (no punt intended) or cost him dearly. It's all how the big media and players spin it going foward.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:44 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Well, yes, and no. Many governors gain a ton of valuable experience during their term(s) in office. But Alaska has (according to a report I heard last night) approximately 2 million people less than the city of Chicago! The question I have is, just how much experience are we to believe a person has acquired who has not yet completed even half of her term as Alaska's governor?
Population isn't necessarily everything. She is responsible for a $11+ billion state budget. Compare that to Chicago's $3 billion budget

Old 08-30-2008, 04:23 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
Not sure I perceive your point on this one. What is McCain doing these days? What will Palin be doing from now on?

As Americans we accept this every four years and we excuse it. How else can we get to know the candidates?

I was responding to those who say that Palin does not have enough experience....Obama is running for President (not vice) and his experience and resume pales compared to Palin's, who is only running for Vice- Pres.

I agree that they do have to campaign so we can get to know them and how they stand on issues...but Obama cannot use this past year during which he has been making speeches, having debates, attending rallies, etc. as a year of experience as a senator, since he hasn't actually been doing his duties as a senator.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:07 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
a nobody for a total bust.....way to go McCANT. will you tell the sitting gov of a vast piece of land called Alaska (where almost no one lives) that somehow became a state, she wears her makeup like trolip and drop c-bombs on her too?
I guess "almost nobody" lives in North Dakota Vermont and Wyoming, too!

2006 Population:
Alaska................. 670,000
North Dakota........ 635,000
Vermont.............. 623,000
Wyoming............. 515,000

Old 08-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Yikes!

Comparing this woman, a complete unknown quantity, with Hillary Clinton is absurd. Let's get rational.

This person was chosen by McCain because:

1. She's young

2. She has blue collar roots.

3. She's a woman.

4. She hopefully owns one home

The above qualifications are hardly noteworthy and they certainly pale in comparison to Hillary's stellar credentials.
One more:
5. She is a fiscal conservative.

And that is the most important one!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:12 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
As a general rule, I agree that governors have more experience than U.S. Senators. As with every rule, there are exceptions, and Palin is one.

Had she been governor of a state with more people (lots more people) and had she completed a full term rather than less than one-half of a term, she would have had some good experience - depth and breadth - especially in domestic issues.

City mayor .... Wasilla has, what, between five and eight thousand residents? Heck, the Chairman of our county council (county population around 350,000) has a helluva lot more experience in governance, and he's totally unqualified to be Vice-President.

McCain's choice of Palin is a gimmick - a very clever gimmick, but a gimmick nevertheless.
Obama, who s running for president has no experience as a president, nor as a senator, while McCain has a lot of experience as a senator, but not as a president. Obama's vise-president's pick has a lot of experience as a senator, but not as a president. McCain's vise-president pick has experience as a mayor and as a governor, and not as a president.

Now, look at the resumes for both Obama and Palin side-by-side at Wikipedia. Read each resume in detail, and tell us what you think. Obama is just building a resume like a a graduate student, moving to better jobs to gain experience, and the presidency is his next step. Other than that, his resume is nothing compared to Palin's. You will notice that as a mayor, Palin had already made huge changes, and that in two years she has accomplished quite a lot more than the majority of 4-year governors throughout the US. Look at it for yourself. The simple fact that some of you are comparing a vise-president candidate to a presidential candidate should tell you the rest of the story.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Condi - Kay Bailey Hutchinson - Elizabeth Dole...
The thing is... do they want to run for Vice President?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska