Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Don't forget that Nader is pulling about 10% in Michigan, so he's a major player there. If Obama were to come out as anti NAFTA, I'm sure he'd snare many of those folks come election day.

Wisconsin is a clear D. Most compelling evidence of that is the state's AG (Republican and McCain Co-Chair) filing a lawsuit to clog the local election machinery and therefore depress the vote.

NV, and Colo are unknowns. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd give Nv to the R's, and Colo to the D's.

I agree that Gov. Palin was a very calculated move by the McCain folks. Someone had to be found to (A) Energize the base, (B) Give the media a reason to cover Johnny Mac. and (C, closely related to B) Pickoff a %, or two of the disgruntled Hillary voters.

I personally think it came down to Kay Bailey Hutchison, Libby Dole, or Palin, and they chose Palin because of her lack of southern accent.
And yes, it was a very smart move, provided you were looking to play defense and not offense.
Living in Tx when Kay became a senitor we were thinking, how about Kay, but more than the accent, the age and lack of real personality I think hurt her. Libby, age again. Normally this would not be an issue, but with McCains age and cancer history it has to be considered. I, for one, am not concerned about the cancer, My husband has had 2 of the same removed, it is a very common form of cancer in men over 65 and very treatable if caught early. Most people hear Melanoma and panic, but there are many kinds on Melanoma. Whethe it bothers me is one thing, many voters do not realize in todays world 72 is more like 52 in days past...

Nita

Old 09-14-2008, 07:00 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
The factors I truly hope that this election does not turn on are Johnny Mac's age, Barak's race, Sarah Palin's gender, or Diebold's anticipated P&L statement.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I am a pit bull lover and resent the defamation of their character!
Me too! She does not like dogs or cats and hates pitbulls! Did she put a ban on any dogs in Alaska yet? Surprised if she did not.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
No, I'm talking about welfare mothers and those who can barely afford to feed the children they have. Adoption is fine, but there are always children who are not adopted. It is a constant. Can these mothers afford pre-natal care, delivery costs? Can they afford the time off from a low job? What if a mother suffers from severe post partum depression? What ifs are part and parcel of why this law was written. The decisions of any woman in that position are personal. I may find it personally distasteful, but I can't make a decision for someone else and make them pay for my decision for the rest of their lives. Just an opinion of mine. I don't want to make any body else see my point of view. Their opinions are as valid to them as mine are to me. I have always tried to put myself in someone else's position before I make a judgment. Usually, I find that circumstances alter actions based on personal upbringing and environment.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 11,679 times
Default Much, much thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Nope, far from it. They scare the crap outta me! I haven't come to grips with my own inner doubts and demons. I have always been a McCain guy. I differ from most Republicans in that I cannot understand placing a woman living on the verge of poverty into the position of being forced to carry a child to term in order that she might have to raise yet another child into a cycle of poverty.

I know we might be depriving ourselves of another Einstein or DaVinci, A King or a Lincoln. We also might be depriving ourselves of another Speck or Pol Pot.

I can't see forcing a victim of rape to carry a symbol of her loss of innocence to term, and probably forcing the resulting child into a life of shame as the child of rape.

I can't see God as a necessary part of my government. He does just fine watching the whole world and doesn't need a government or government agency as a booster club.

I can't see a lot of the liberals' agenda either. I just want honest, intelligent leaders with GOOD vision. I want politicians with integrity (I know, I should wish for world peace too). I actually think there might be integrity on both sides of the campaign. I just want someone with a just and equitable vision. Could be anyone at this time.

I wish I knew what I was doing when it comes to elections. Confusion and inner quarrels are part and parcel of who I am. I don't understand me on good days.
Right then! Thanks ten-fold for your input and your honesty!! Feel quite similar actually. Some days I wonder if this country has lost sight of what integrity really means!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
It puzzles me how or why the lefties think that Palin is "pandering" or "milking" some of these issues. The fact that her 5th child was a Downs baby was public knowledge the day he was born, it was in the official press release. Likewise with her sons deployment to Iraq, public knowledge. Sara Palin was a public figure long before she got tapped for the VP pick after all. It's all out there for anyone doing any homework at all, not some kind of a secret.

I suspect that a lot of the bizarre theories and obvious falsehoods being published in the Obama camp attack blogs are solely due to their doing NO actual research at all. They're just pounding out whatever drivel they think will sell that day, without any regard or concern for the facts whatsoever. The standard of truthfulness for even the mainstream media is so abysmally low these days, with the bloggers it's completely non-existent.

It's painfully obvious that Bristol Palins pregnancy was dragged out into the public view as a response to the "not really her baby" claims about her mother. I very much doubt that it would have become public knowledge prior to the elections, if at all, if not for the actions of the conspiracy-nut hatebloggers on the Obama payroll. While I detest the fact that this very private aspect of her personal life as a minor child has been dragged under the white-hot glare of the of the election-cycle microscope, I applaud how gracefully the Palin family has been dealing with it. It's reprehensible that so much media attention has been focused on someone thats not even an adult yet, let alone a candidate.

How about some attention to an actual issue, such as Obamas obvious loathing for rural/conservative Americans and his total disregard for our second amendments rights? Or how his 130-odd "present" votes in the Illinois legislature display a manifest inability to make a decision (or maybe to be held accountable for such?). Or the fact that any number of years as a junior congressman constitute exactly zero executive experience? Or...where do I begin? It's obviously much easier to just attack your opponants kids, they're easy targets. Still, thats a low blow even by campaign standards.
What utter nonsense. This country has suffered through 8 years of Republican crap and its time to end. Palin has no more business being in this role and in the national spotlight than JJ Walker. Her pompous, arrogant demeanor as a representative of a pathetic and divisive policy, is offensive to many. She accepted the role of VP and assumed the risk. If she brings a history of unethical behavior, trashy family, behavioral issues of her kids due to neglect, or any other baggage that may shed some light on what we're dealing with here, then it is important to uncover this, and slam her pretty good. This country doesn't need a continuation of the same conservative lunatics who have been up there for the last 8 years.

About rural, Conservative Americans, these people don't like Obama because he's a black man. In other words, "Conservative" is synonymous with "Racist" in this day and age, and millions (not just Obama) turn their noses up at this very backwards segment of our society. You can't possibly sit there as a Conservative and expect to be taken seriously if you fault a man for not catering to people who don't like him because of his race.

Conservatives. Hated the world over and the biggest weapons of mass destruction known to man.

Go Obama-Biden!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
Strange, you don't like Palin because her husband is native. Isn't that racist?

Look, this is an Alaska thread, and as much as I like visitors, saying I dislike Obama because he's black (I'm white, and a Republican <OMG>) is saying I like Colin Powell because he's white. Well he is, isn't he? NO!!!??

Sheesh. Alexus, blanket statements

I.E.>>>>>>

"About rural, Conservative Americans, these people don't like Obama because he's a black man. In other words, "Conservative" is synonymous with "Racist" in this day and age, and millions (not just Obama) turn their noses up at this very backwards segment of our society. You can't possibly sit there as a Conservative and expect to be taken seriously if you fault a man for not catering to people who don't like him because of his race.

Conservatives. Hated the world over and the biggest weapons of mass destruction known to man."

This kind of statement is usually presented as a fallacy in logic classes throughout the US. Even in Berkley. I don't dislike the man. I don't know him. I sure as hell am not going to condemn him on the basis of color when MLK and Colin Powell are 2 of my favorite contemporary heroes.

And yes, Alexus, I am a Republican.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 PM

218 posts, read 468,548 times
Default 2012

no! no! no! It should be a PALIN/RICE ticket. I already started making signs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
This VP pick seems to me a stroke of brilliance! At this point, should McCain win in November, I don't think he'll want to run for a second term. I could be mistaken, but I think we could see a Palin-Hillary matchup in 2012 instead.

I should save any further political remarks of mine for the 2008 Presidential Election politics forum, but I think McCain just hit one completely out of the park with this pick!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM

218 posts, read 468,548 times
Question I am a racist,you're a racist,everyone a racist

Do you realy think that bothers me? Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. I don't like Obama, cause I do not like what he stands for. Can you agree with him on all of his policies? Do you even know what he stands for? He is poll driven and when the going gets tough he will take a poll and go with what they say. Some leader I mean follower huh? Can you see what will happen if OB becomes prez and congress has to disagree with him here comes the racial card. Then will will have a victim for a prez. Is that what you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
What utter nonsense. This country has suffered through 8 years of Republican crap and its time to end. Palin has no more business being in this role and in the national spotlight than JJ Walker. Her pompous, arrogant demeanor as a representative of a pathetic and divisive policy, is offensive to many. She accepted the role of VP and assumed the risk. If she brings a history of unethical behavior, trashy family, behavioral issues of her kids due to neglect, or any other baggage that may shed some light on what we're dealing with here, then it is important to uncover this, and slam her pretty good. This country doesn't need a continuation of the same conservative lunatics who have been up there for the last 8 years.

About rural, Conservative Americans, these people don't like Obama because he's a black man. In other words, "Conservative" is synonymous with "Racist" in this day and age, and millions (not just Obama) turn their noses up at this very backwards segment of our society. You can't possibly sit there as a Conservative and expect to be taken seriously if you fault a man for not catering to people who don't like him because of his race.

Conservatives. Hated the world over and the biggest weapons of mass destruction known to man.

Go Obama-Biden!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:48 PM

7 posts, read 11,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
No, I'm talking about welfare mothers and those who can barely afford to feed the children they have. Adoption is fine, but there are always children who are not adopted. It is a constant. Can these mothers afford pre-natal care, delivery costs? Can they afford the time off from a low job? What if a mother suffers from severe post partum depression? What ifs are part and parcel of why this law was written. The decisions of any woman in that position are personal. I may find it personally distasteful, but I can't make a decision for someone else and make them pay for my decision for the rest of their lives. Just an opinion of mine. I don't want to make any body else see my point of view. Their opinions are as valid to them as mine are to me. I have always tried to put myself in someone else's position before I make a judgment. Usually, I find that circumstances alter actions based on personal upbringing and environment.
And thanks again. I especially respect your statements "I don't want to make any body else see my point of view. Their opinions are as valid to them as mine are to me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska