Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:51 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!
I absolutely agree, one of my neighbors has a sign in his yard, a fairly good size sign at that. It reads "DON'T RE-ELECT ANYBODY", I may just take his advise next month. Or, at least do my part of it.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,766 times
Classic

You should not term me idiotic...The "real global warming" is in missile silos, hangers, submarines and ships all over the world...

One day its going to happen. Will we learn from our mistakes? Doubtful.

Try reading a little closer.

I won't disagree that the changing of climate has been ongoing on our planet for millions of years. But never before at this accelerated rate..can you explain that happening? Why has both polar regions sustained huge losses in their area in such a short time?

Ask the professors at your Alaskan Universities....UAF...see what they say.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
Classic

You should not term me idiotic...The "real global warming" is in missile silos, hangers, submarines and ships all over the world...

One day its going to happen. Will we learn from our mistakes? Doubtful.

Try reading a little closer.

I won't disagree that the changing of climate has been ongoing on our planet for millions of years. But never before at this accelerated rate..can you explain that happening? Why has both polar regions sustained huge losses in their area in such a short time?

Ask the professors at your Alaskan Universities....UAF...see what they say.
I didn't call you personally idiotic, just this whole "climate change" hysteria. I can see that global warming is affecting Alaska greatly as I continue to watch the snow fall outside on October 14th.

Any measures to limit C02 are worthless because India, China, and Russia will never hamstring their economies to fight an imaginary threat. So, the liberals in this country will happily put us at a tremendous competitive disadvantage to take actions that won't work to fight a nonexistent threat. Brilliant.

Read this to gain some perspective:

Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
I haven't seen many yard signs at all here. Lots of Ron Paul signs on POW. But I've only seen one yard sign here and that was an Obama one.

Sunset, some of us do care about this issue, but we've had this discussion before in this forum, and we know we aren't going to change each other's minds on it.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I haven't seen many yard signs at all here. Lots of Ron Paul signs on POW. But I've only seen one yard sign here and that was an Obama one.

Sunset, some of us do care about this issue, but we've had this discussion before in this forum, and we know we aren't going to change each other's minds on it.
Oh so true Met.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
I didn't call you personally idiotic, just this whole "climate change" hysteria. I can see that global warming is affecting Alaska greatly as I continue to watch the snow fall outside on October 14th.

Any measures to limit C02 are worthless because India, China, and Russia will never hamstring their economies to fight an imaginary threat. So, the liberals in this country will happily put us at a tremendous competitive disadvantage to take actions that won't work to fight a nonexistent threat. Brilliant.
Satch basically hits the nail on the head. It doesn’t really so much matter what we (the US) do. China is bringing up one new coal plant a week, and other countries (Russia, Iran, Venezuela, OPEC, etc) have absolutely no economic self interest in helping to address the issue whatsoever. In fact, they will do everything possible to destabilize the world energy markets to maximize their revenues for as long as possible.

We could completely shut down the US economy tomorrow and it won’t do squat for the climate and, in fact, in the long run it would actually be harmful to the global ecology – a healthy US economy with fully functioning Capital and Energy markets represents the last, best hope the planet has for an advanced technological solution to the problem.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:28 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,560,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post

Why has both polar regions sustained huge losses in their area in such a short time?

Undersea volcanism has been put out there as a cause of this. Which makes sense because the air temperature in the Arctic regions does not go much above freezing (if at all in the coldest areas) in the summer.

Remember that we humans only have satellite records of sea ice area going back to the 1970s, at which point in time were at higher numbers than they are today. And before that we have accounts from seafarers...

Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM

532 posts, read 1,568,189 times
I don't think numbers of polar bears have decreased, but range has, less hunting grounds, adapting, but not over original range. There is scientific evidence to support global warming, some of it might be lies, but then your listening to the wrong people, the mechanism isn't necessarily up for debate -> the resulting effects of climatic feedback mechanisms and interractions might be.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:02 PM

532 posts, read 1,568,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post

Read this to gain some perspective:

Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

Theres a difference between weather and climate. "wheres this global warming business it's snowing right now!" <--- weather not climate. You didn't expect it to snow in alaska?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
Theres a difference between weather and climate. "wheres this global warming business it's snowing right now!" <--- weather not climate. You didn't expect it to snow in alaska?
It was meant to be a joke.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska