Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,264 times

Advertisements

I believe in the right to bear arms, however...

The arguement that only a felon would use a gun to kill a person is false. There are many examples...a child who gets a hold of one (look at the 8 year old who killed his family in LA). He wasn't a felon, just a child. What about a drunk who gets into a fight, not thinking logically pulls out the gun and shoots or pulls out the gun and the other drunk he's arguing with grabs it and shoots fearing for his life. There's so many people these days with mental problems that should not be allowed to own a gun. For example the guy in South Carolina who shot a bunch of kids during halloween with an assault weapon through his front door. What about the Virginia Tech shooting, he had mental problems, yet he bought the gun all legally. Background checks and permits won't stop all gun-related crimes, but it will help to reduce them. There's many other examples, but these are just a few.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Having been an Alaska resident for twenty-two years in Anchorage, the final two when Begich was mayor, I can only say this victory is nothing to celebrate. Not making excuses for Ted Stevens or even saying I would have voted for him, but Begich is a pretty shady guy. I know several of his cronies from his rise in Anchorage and the United States has not gained IMO a worthwhile member to the senate.

Then by the low Alaska standards he should be well qualified...

Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,704,393 times
Only if you want to transport your handguns to another state and have reciprocity for that state then you need to take a handgun safety class

Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Then by the low Alaska standards he should be well qualified...
Again, I ask you, how does that help any of us? Just because one bum gets get elected by default because the other one got convicted in the middle of the campaign is no reason to celebrate. As a fellow Alaskan, I would assume (or at least hope) you want what is best for the state, not just another reason to hurl insults on the internet.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
I could be very wrong, but if you go from one state to another, not sure they have reciprocity....you can have a legally registered gun, but just going to another state have to by their laws or have the physical permit, depending on state can have different laws for permit to carry, for example in MN if you have permit to carry in Hennepin County, unless reciprocitiy in another county or physical permit, cannot go outside the county, so not only state, but county .....

Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Que Sera Sera...arguing isn't going anywhere here.

YouTube - Doris Day - Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be Will Be)

Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post

The arguement that only a felon would use a gun to kill a person is false. There are many examples...a child who gets a hold of one (look at the 8 year old who killed his family in LA). He wasn't a felon, just a child. What about a drunk who gets into a fight, not thinking logically pulls out the gun and shoots or pulls out the gun and the other drunk he's arguing with grabs it and shoots fearing for his life. There's so many people these days with mental problems that should not be allowed to own a gun. For example the guy in South Carolina who shot a bunch of kids during halloween with an assault weapon through his front door. What about the Virginia Tech shooting, he had mental problems, yet he bought the gun all legally. Background checks and permits won't stop all gun-related crimes, but it will help to reduce them. There's many other examples, but these are just a few.
Jono- very valid point, but I think the 8 year old was in Arizona, unles there was another I missed....This scares me too, but is in how the kids are raised...I have an 11-year-old that has not touched a gun since I had her fulltime, when she was 3....If I told her to get the gun, she probably wouldn't, now she needs to go shoot and learn...all in responsibility here and everywhere, but probably does't come in a very populated area...unfortunately, if all knew every house had a gun and could shoot, how many break-ins would there be....doubt too many...so fear has to go to common sense, teaching, responsibility...we cannot let fear rule, then the sheeple come into play...

Old 11-19-2008, 09:57 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Again, I ask you, how does that help any of us? Just because one bum gets get elected by default because the other one got convicted in the middle of the campaign is no reason to celebrate. As a fellow Alaskan, I would assume (or at least hope) you want what is best for the state, not just another reason to hurl insults on the internet.
Moose....I was being a smart ass, very first time

Imagine that....

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 11-19-2008 at 10:32 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:

We are talking about concealed-carry. In Alaska a permit is not required. There are all kinds of laws that prohibit all sorts of people from owning guns, but it does not mean that the law is going to stop anybody who shouldn't from having a gun. For example, it's highly illegal to be in the possession of handguns in NYC, but people still have guns. Guns are just tools, objects, etc. People are the ones who kill, not the guns.

Why should anybody leave a gun for a child to play with? Drunks should not play with guns, nor should they drive, nor should they play games on others with any weapon (baseball bats, knives, guns, etc.). The guy in SC was a felon, wasn't he? The law didn't stop him from using a gun.

Backgrounds checks and permits should be used just to screen criminals, not the average citizen. The Virginia Tech crazy fellow was allowed to mingle with the rest, and if he bought the guns legally, then the background check didn't work, because nowhere it was shown that the guy would someday use a gun to kill people. The psychiatrists never told anyone that the guy was a potential violent criminal. That's not the gun seller's's fault. Such a person (the crazy one) could have used a bomb to kill, a car, knives, poison, etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:

of course you are right, but the old saying "guns don't kill, people do" is the fact. Oh, the kid was in AZ if you are talking about the one the other day that shot his dad and another. It appears he has some serious problems..I agree with what you are saying, basically and I too am a strong supporter of the Right to bare arems...

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska