Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Moose....thats a right that even the left won't dare touch

As far as those others....they aren't covered within that right and they simply need correcting, that falls under common sense

Problem is, common sense isn't very common in the right-wing crowd any more and certainly not in the crowd of NRA sheep
I hope you are correct. However, you are banking on the common sense of the left not to go too far, though you have already stated that this trait is lacking on the right. This doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Clinton governed largely as a centrist/conservative.

That's you're idea of sound election decision making? "Who knows? Give it a shot" Scary

What that really illustrates is the shorcomings of a two party system where no REAL choice exists.

Sure they can, it's happened many times before.

Rolling the dice and hoping for a better outcome is not a logical way to govern our country or ensure the future of your 401k. People who gamble in the stock market usually end up losing.

Well of course my decision isn't as simple as that, but to keep things short there is at least a chance that things will change for the better with Obama vs the same old policies if it were Stevens and McCain. We know where that path takes us. My main hopes with Obama and the Democrats is their investment in Green Technology. If the government can give major tax breaks and funding, I think it will create a new boom that will create jobs and get us out of this economy, similar to the technology boom during the Clinton years. It take a lot of money to make a large enough incentive and impact, but I think down the line it will pay off big time. That's what I'm hoping for.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:06 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
Jonotastic....almost the exact words that came from Republican ex-presidential candidate Mike Huckabee yesterday

ya....how can anybody screw things up anymore than Bush did.

Whats damn shame at this point is Obama has to deal with all the crap that Bush leaves behind
Agreed!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
Happy Birthday Ted..... come home and enjoy your house

Old 11-19-2008, 01:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:

"kitchen table dealers" ie no background checks...they need to be gotten rid of, and will be now
No that's referring to FFL's who work out of their home (often largely doing transfers rather than stocking numbers of firearms).

Quote:
"gun shop loophole"....ie, no background checks...no brainer that this will be corrected now, as it should be, way overdue
There is no "gun show loophole." All the same laws apply at gun shows as anywhere else.

Quote:
"assaults weapons".... where is the need...no need for these that a handgun won't cover just fine
I hope you don't own a vehicle someone else says you have no need for, or a home too large, or whatever. Assault weapon is a made up meaningless term applied to various weapons based on silly reasons, merely an incremental approach to banning all firearms ("If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them… ‘Mr. and Mrs. America, turn ‘em all in,’ I would have done it."-Diane Feinstein). Even an M1 Garand is classified by the new one as an "assault weapon." And the original AWB, according to the FBI, had no effect on crime. The Big Lie of the Assault Weapons Ban - Los Angeles Times

Sorry but no infringements are acceptable. Stupid people like miss "shoulder thing that goes up" mccarthy (who doesn't even know what it is she's trying to ban) have no right to attack my rights. You think this stuff is okay because it doesn't affect what you have/consider important. Reminds me of an old quote, "first they came for the Jews..."

Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM

Some quotes:

"We’re going to have to take this one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily - given the political realities - going to be very modest. Right now, though, we’d be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal - total control of all guns - is going to take time.....The final problem is to make the possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition - except for the military, policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs and licensed gun collectors - totally illegal." -Nelson Shields III, founder Handgun Control Inc.

"To end the crisis [gun violence], we have to regulate- or, in the case of handguns and assault weapons, completely ban- the product…. We are far past the where registration, licensing, safety training, background checks, or waiting periods will have much effect on firearms violence."-Josh Sugarmann, VPC

"…the semiautomatic weapons’ menacing looks, coupled with the public’s confusion ..[that] anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun – can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons" -Sugarmann again

"The current state of federal law does not recognize that the Second Amendment protects the right of private citizens to possess firearms of any type. Instead, the Second Amendment is deemed to be a collective right belonging to the state and not to an individual. Accordingly, the Second Amendment is interpreted by this administration as prohibiting the federal government from preventing a state government from forming or having a state recognized militia force. With this understanding in mind, the source of citizens’ authority to possess a handgun has never been particularly identified in American law." -Ronnie Edleman, Clinton Justice Department

"We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles" -Bill Clinton

These people don't have any respect for our rights, not at all. They're attacking them incrementally as that first quote suggests.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thats simply crappolla....
Precisely what's happened in VT the past 30 or 40 years. Now the state is teetering on economic disaster because of the stupid people who have moved in.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Great news, CC.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Well, I'll pass on joining the NRA for the reasons Mr. Crunch describes.

Stevens just conceded the race.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
+1--I, also, don't condone a felon to hold public office, but it is horrifying to think that the state of Alaska, probably the last bastion of sanity in our nation, might go "blue" in future. I highly doubt it, however; this guy'll be a single termer, just reinforcing most Alaskan's beliefs about how bad most liberal ideals are for the future of our state. Wish we could've had another Republican alternative; Begich would have been flushed had the timing on this whole shmear been different.
My heart goes out to all your smart minded Alaskans.. You won't won't go blue, have faith...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska