Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 22,745 times

Advertisements

Some thoughts on your original questions.

Snowmachines... you can get a used older model her in town for 2 or 3 k. And I'd suggest it if it's just going to be for play on the trails around town and on the main river trail. If you planned to go hunting or to the mountains for wood I'd say I'd say buy a new on for the safety factor but the trails are used regularly so if you have a breakdown and are prepared for the cold it'd just a little wait before you'd see someone come by. If you find a used one have Darrell Lamping take a look at it before you buy it.... he'll give you good advice.

The boose... you should put in in a box marked with Alcoholic Beverage and remember to tape the receipt to the box.... I think that's one of the less known rules. I don't know the limit for what you can bring before they consider you a bootlegger but I think it's safe to say you can bring at least five 750ml bottles of hard liquor and I think it might be more like 8 or 9 but 5 would be safe. I have put that marked box with my couple bottles in a duffel bag and packed some clothes around it and put a extra Alcoholic Beverage sticker on the outside of the duffel and have had no trouble... but I don't know if I was just lucky or not. I just hate to waste one of my 50 pound bags on 10 pounds of rum.

As for things to do in town. There are, about once a month, something going on at the cultural center, Just Desserts (local music), Saturday Market, Plays (one this weekend), etc. to meet people at. If you are a nurse you can always just hang out in the lobby of the Hospital... you'll meet lots of interesting people there... and their kids.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 01:24 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Brutal...

Bethel, Alaska (Airport)
Updated: 29 min 18 sec ago
Scattered Clouds
-25 °F / -32 °C
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: -48 °F / -45 °C
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: -31 °F / -35 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the North
Pressure: 29.39 in / 995 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Old 11-23-2008, 04:23 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Warpt its only 4 degrees colder than the last time you posted. How about running the naked mile followed by a polar bear dive in the river?

Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,703,178 times
Barkley he needs a coach and some one to show him how. So be the one to lead the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska