Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
See, you're not thinking like a man If we're going to be taken for all our money, it might as well be by some tall leggy Russian beauty. We don't try to beat the game, we just play the game At least we got some heavenly tail out of it

I have seen some photos of these mail order brides and they are not all "hotties".

This leads me to my next question....Do men who "purchase" mail order brides believe that they are partaking in an equal trade of commodities? (ie he gets an attractive partner and she gets $$$$)

And also, do these same men believe that they do not have the "skills" (social or otherwise) to woo attractive American women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:38 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Many of my American friends talk bad about American women. Spoiled, greedy, know-it-all bad housewifes etc. Unlike Philipino, Korean or European women. I won't be the judge of it, just forwarding what I hear.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times
When are Alaskan women going to start ordering mail order grooms? I hear those Papua New Guinea studs (from one of the head-hunting tribes) are quite virile. I am sure there'll be a few interesting meals to be had.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
When are Alaskan women going to start ordering mail order grooms? I hear those Papua New Guinea studs (from one of the head-hunting tribes) are quite virile. I am sure there'll be a few interesting meals to be had.
Have any sisters?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
OH OH...You ever see the "strong Man" competitions? Poland & Sweden have nice big fellas. I'd anty up a.... cake, 2 ponies, a cat, and my neighbors for one of them

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM

221 posts, read 437,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, it is a statistical myth, easily debunked. Just look up the populations of any Alaskan village, town, or city and you will find men and women in very close to equal in number.

Actually, according to the Bureau of the Census 2000 results, there are 108 males for every 100 females in Alaska (females = 330,107; males = 356,186; total = 686,293) or 48.1% female population.

Only because you do not have either the facts or the numbers right.

Put down the beer and step away from the monitor, you are clearly over the legal limit.
108 males for every 100 females in Alaska = shortage of women for men.

This is no myth according to your own facts

Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
You could always do what my husband did. ACUALLY visit another country, get to know someone first and fall in love and bring her back. I met my husband at a Rugby game in the UK and he ended up bringing me back and got married.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have seen some photos of these mail order brides and they are not all "hotties".

This leads me to my next question....Do men who "purchase" mail order brides believe that they are partaking in an equal trade of commodities? (ie he gets an attractive partner and she gets $$$$)

And also, do these same men believe that they do not have the "skills" (social or otherwise) to woo attractive American women?
There are a couple of them here on the island. I wouldn't call them hotties but neither would I call them unattractive. One works at the bank and another works in some other kind of public contact job, power company maybe--can't recall. They certainly aren't raking in huge bucks or living lives of leisure. My son practices speaking Russian with them.

I don't know what men "think". But it's been pointed out a few times in this thread that the "women shortage" in AK is pretty much a myth--that's certainly true in the more populated areas. But in some of the rural areas you really do notice a difference in the numbers of single women/men.

I don't think the mail order bride thing is any more prevalent here than in the lower 48. There does seem to be a certain type of man who does that--it has more to do with that than with geography.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
before ever considering a woman from overseas, take a look at the forums regarding this topic, such as romancescam.com, it may change your mind about trying to find a needle in a haystack. there are many men from nigeria and like countires posing as women, in an attempt to scam the man out of every dime they can get. and there are pro-daters, real women that have many boyfriends coming to see them, they take all they can from each one. they do have detective agencies that some men use, prior to going to meet their intended, just to check and make sure things are like she told him they are, but they still cant read her mind. sometimes they will find out the woman is already married and doing this as a business, in order to make a buck. there are some agencies in russia that are crooked, use fake pics etc. some dating websites will take tours to countries such as russia, columbia, dominican republic, etc. they will have a large group of young women meet the men in a party setting. these dozen or so mostly fat, bald, older guys certainly should realize these very young women are not interested because of their good looks or common interests. yet, its amazing to view these websites success stories and see the beauties with the beasts. there are men out there looking to marry women from the west, ive read some of their sad stories too.

women from russia tend to be educated, and the ones seeking better opportunities in the west, are sometimes looking for someone to use as a stepping stone. as if something better comes along, why not trade up. women from asia and africa tend to be unemployed or underemployed, they tend to be more concerned with their family back home than focusing on their new husband. at least in my own experience it was true. where the money is going, is back to the family that depends on the oldest or best able to support the others. while there are some real, sincere women looking for a life partner, the vast number fail into the other category of users with an agenda. a very young woman writing men 25 yr older, is a strong clue they are not interested in anything more than a green card. women such as this target men they think have money and are lonely, then hope to have a child with the poor dolt in order to cement the bond, then leave when they find a better catch.

you must visit the woman in her country before the fiancee paperwork can begin. women in some more prosperous countries are able to get a tourist visa to the states. pple in poorer countries where most of the women come from cant ever get a tourist visa approved unless they can show they have substantial assets there, a house, business etc, and reason to return to their own country

why do men look elsewhere? from my own esperience it is because women in the west have developed an attitude of putting down men. even if they have a good, faithful man. yes, know it all, nagging, and emasculation also seem to be the norm, again talking of pple i have known, etc. certainly not all women from the west fall into this demanding, brassy, crass type, but many are. so men look elsewhere, thinking women in other parts of the world maybe less materialistic, want a more simple lifestyle and would be happy with the traditional womans roles as housewife and mother. unfortunately i have found with the internet, the cable/dish network world wide that show western life, and the changes from traditionals customes to more liberal western ways in their own countries, women are more alike than different. in order to find a flower among the thorn, i believe a man would have to go aboard and live there for perhaps a year, in order to find someone sincere and being happy with a simple life. if he brings her back to the west, she may see it as a vast candy store, and adapt to western ways of wanting the best and the biggest money has to buy.

in my own case i did not rush, it was a year of communication by instant messenger, email , and phone, before i went overseas. she seemed wonderful, very supportive, loving, etc. sadly her real personality of coldness, extreme selfishness, and cruelness only was seen after she was here. i had supported her mother, been very kind to her and did truly love her despite her being different than she appeared. she dumped me by email, while on a trip back overseas i paid for. then came back here to the states to start a new life complete with greencard. never an indication of problems while she was away, then like a lead balloon she wanted a divorce. moral of the story, its very hard to see all sides to a person via the internet. its not the same as getting to know someone personally, looking in their eyes, seeing the subtle things one might miss on a trip to see a gf or communications by phone or instant messenger. im convinced that if i had remained in her country until her visa was approved i would have still only seen what she wanted me to see. since the divorce ive read of many stories like mine, some worse as they had children too. what was real and what was not i will never know, she seemed to really care and want a life together, but i believe she had an agenda from the start. sadly its left me poorer, but worse than that, she took my time, broke my heart, and made it harder for me to ever trust again.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
108 males for every 100 females in Alaska = shortage of women for men.

This is no myth according to your own facts
When you filter those numbers by single people, the gap get's larger.

There are about 114 single men for every 100 single women in Alaska.

Not a huge gap, but significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska