Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Can't give you or Neph any more rep just now, Granny.

I don't know what the answer is. Some people seem to be advocating social Darwinism; that's been shown to be destructive to the human race.

I know I don't have a problem with my tax dollars going to help some sick kid or other human being. Homo sapiens are tribal creatures and that's been pivotal in our survival.

Health care has been a problem in this country for quite some time. At least this administration is trying to find a solution.
I echo all these sentiments.Good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well the "real" conservatives need to muscle her...
HAHA.I messed up!!That was suppose to be "muzzle",but judging the "pseudo-conservatives" maybe they should "muscle" her too.LOL

Old 08-23-2009, 01:59 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
Well you go away for a couple of days and what do you know? We're still here, discussing health care and health insurance.

Luckily, my blood pressure has lowered itself to a dull roar in my ears, mainly due to notrees posting an apology.

I was out of touch from everything, news, papers, internet, and just about out of cell phone reach (for which I thank God). But we are still mired in the trench warfare syndrome on this subject. I see the lines, and the static positions that each of us are sitting in. I see good points on both sides, and would let people know which I think are good, except I might expose myself to the odd sniper here and there.

If you think the warfare metaphor is a bit "over the top", I invite my friends to re-read this thread and toss out their preconceptions and prejudices, just see where the friends stances are. The fact is, a lot of people are talking, and not everyone is listening. On NPR the other day, they were arguing whether it was 45 million or 50 million who lacked a health care plan. Not a great difference in my book. But the people on both sides of that discussion were not talking to each other but at each other. It was a matter of statistics, which any decent mathematician and sociologist can flex to fit the definition of the moment.

Are we going to continue to stare at each other across this no man's land? Or can we call a temporary truce in the rhetoric, and try listening to the other side's points without a reflexive slam. I do NOT want to pay more in my taxes. I do NOT want to see people dying because they can not afford to visit a doctor (or a PA or even a nurse). I don't think of this as rhetoric, because I don't have facts and figures to throw at you all. These are personal feelings and opinions. Nothing more.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,268,567 times
Excellent article from the NYT about how Obama has adopted the Keynesian approach (rightly) in fighting the current crisis without repudiating Adam Smith, written in language understandable to the layperson.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/bo...dt-t.html?_r=1

Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
HEALTH CARE DEATH PANELS*|*Weekly World News

Quote:
Republicans continue their criticism of Health Care reform. Birthers claim they have proof of Democrat Death Panels.

Last week Sarah Palin decried the Obama Health Care plan for having “Death Panels” which she said would euthanize those deemed “unproductive to society” like her child with down syndrome. Actual proof of such policies has yet to be provided but that has not stopped right wing support of Mrs. Palin’s claims.

Newt Gingrich came forward this weekend to express support of Palin’s criticisms of a “government run health system that pays for itself by killing off the sick and the elderly.” When asked where in the health plan it says that people would be killed he replied “Um, can I get back to you on that?”

According to Palin those deemed “unproductive” by democrats would be encouraged by government agents to consent to being euthanized “for the good of the State.” Those who decline would be taken forcibly and “made an example of.” While Democrats in Washington condemn these notions as preposterous Orly Taites says she has proof!

Orly Taites, mother of the Birther movement, claims to have proof of Democrat Death Panels. Taits claims to have photographic proof of the elderly being rounded up from nursing homes by government officials. Critics say that these are simply stock photos from advertisements of nursing homes, to which Taites says she is being unfairly ridiculed and surpressed.

Hundreds of conservatives, including the Birthers, have joined their voices in condemning Health Care reform. Already in town halls across the midwest angry citizens are throwing their elderly at local representatives in protest.

One Iowa woman began screaming at a town hall meeting “This is not the America that I love! This health care plan is not what my father served in Korea to protect!” She then began beating a State Assemblyman with her geriatric father.

Washington Democrats have yet to effectively prove that they are not holding secret Death Panels. Until the government has adequately proven that they are not planning to systematically kill the sick and the elderly the protests are expected to continue; with elderly people being thrown in protest in small towns across America.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,808,359 times
"unproductive"... thats most of the elected officials in Washington and ole GW Bush "The Smirking Chimp"

If we euthanized them all..it would be great start to "change"

Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times

Old 08-24-2009, 01:49 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,055 times
Barkingowl......LOL at the pic.....it's a wonder none of those "spray painting" PETA nuts were not around with all that fur.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
I found one of her with a sea kitty too.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,268,567 times
The brilliant Dr. Krugman again. This is a must-read -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/op...=1&ref=opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska