Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:00 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntvinh986 View Post
Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Welcome. What state are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Ok, as long as I have been reading this forum, I am at a loss......If I will work in Midtown, but can't stand the thought of living in the city and don't want to comute from Wasilla or Palmer where would everyone sugest I would most like to live?? I'm thinking Eagle River, but read somewhere that the light in winter in non-existant? Or are there areas around town within a shorter comute that feel more like "small town/country" ??? Help me gang!! BTW it's 99%, just waiting to negotiate the offer
Aye, tis a jealous soul I've become in me old age, good on ya lass!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,271 times
no reason to be jealous of little ol me Dusty, after being strung along for over 2 months the whole thing blew up in my face. Maybe someday.......but after so many near misses in the past 3 years, I wonder if someone is trying to tell me something.....

Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
no reason to be jealous of little ol me Dusty, after being strung along for over 2 months the whole thing blew up in my face. Maybe someday.......but after so many near misses in the past 3 years, I wonder if someone is trying to tell me something.....

You may be right Lyoness. Maybe there is a reason and could be it's just not the right time for you although I sure wish it would be for you.

BTW is employment still real bad where you are and have you found another job yet? I quess you can tell by reading the various posts that the recession has caught up with AK.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:32 PM

No luck yet, and I've actually been applying for any and everything I can remotely qualify for since February. Unemployment is running almost 11%. They said on the news, that local employers say for any job they post they get from 300-500 resumes!! Unreal!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM

46 posts, read 79,425 times
Quote:
Just got my puter up and somewhat running again (my son's a wiz) caught a cold, acutally I'm sure it was the "Swine Flu" as whoever sent it to me is a PIG! Any way...nothing firm again this week I'm trying not to get discouraged/aggrivated/depressed, but this is really starting to wear on me. The manager said we are just waiting on the regional manager's offical stamp of approval (which is the same thing she has told me for over 2 weeks now), she said it is just a formality, she was given approval to hire back in July, now just needs the OK to discuss the terms. Since she/he was on vacation for 2 weeks it is in the pipeline, just have to wait for her/him to get to it. She's always very positive and reassuring, and I know in the big corporate scheme of things I'm not a priority, but this is dragging out uncomfortably long. Sorry, just feeling a little indigo lately, really wanted to be up there and settled in before I had to jump right into winter. This has been a truely crappy year, everytime I think the sun is gonna shine a little the clouds move back in. I've talked to several managers/former bosses and they said this is nothing unusual at all, not to read too much into the delay, so I'm trying to stay positive too .
This doesn't seem fair... here is a heart for you. Your alaska dream will come true when the best job of them all comes your way.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,564 times
Lyoness, what do you do for a living? Sounds like you work as a professional in business? We've never "spoke" before but I've read a lot of your posts and have struggled for years wanting to move back to Alaska after being out of state so I can relate to what you are going through. I tried all sorts of things to get a job up here. I tried to apply with Cargo airlines in the hopes that I could jump one of their planes and come up for an interview! Finally I just contacted some old friends, sold most of my stuff, grabbed my kids and came anyway. It was very very hard and I at least was familiar with the state and knew a couple of people.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Ooops, already answered you on the moving to ak post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska