Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,862 times

Advertisements

Dang it gets better....one of these guys is a two time looser ummmm rescue-ee.
As Met would say idjit...possibly idjit of the year.

From the ADN which pulled it from the Daily Herald of Arlington, Illinois. Who calls the hometown paper to tell them what a tool they
are out of state?

" Don Carroll, one of the two seasonal hotel employees rescued Monday on the Stampede Trail after a hike to the "Into the Wild" bus near Denali Park, admits he had been rescued earlier this summer, wearing only a hoodie and jeans, after getting lost on another hike. (That time, he guided rescuers to his location with a phone text message.) "If police see me (hiking) in the woods, they're going to arrest me," Carroll, of suburban Chicago, told the local daily paper. "The chief ranger said he's not going to come looking for me anymore." In his latest escapade, Carroll says, he and friend Jia Long He got lost and separated from their gear after visiting the abandoned bus made famous in the book and movie "Into the Wild," about vagabond Chris McCandless' death from starvation in the bus in 1992. Carroll and He avoided starvation over the weekend by eating berries. Carroll adds in his defense that he did a lot of hiking in the park this summer that did not require his rescue."

Last edited by Jerseykat; 08-26-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times
Maybe we should convert the bus into a phone booth. And we could modify the steering wheel into part of an arcade game...they could play it while waiting to be rescued.

We'd hold off though, until there were at least a dozen or so waiting, then go gettem...

Bud

Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Just when you thought a sequel was in the making, some idiot goes and rescues the new stars of the remake!!!

I hate it when people get involved with nature's way of culling the inferior gene pool and ruining the natural selection process.

Could you imagne the storylne if they were dragged out of the bus by a starvng grzzly mom to help feed her under fed cubs!!! Now we have a story that will never be told....wait, some more hikers just left the road system!

There is hope!!!
Add single to starving grizzly mom...maybe she can get an interpretor to fill out some paperwork....

Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,780,096 times
Hm... I used to live in Arlington (Heights) Illinois. Not that I'm far from it now...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Someone really should go out there to set up an espresso stand.
Better yet, just set up some Claymores and a Web Cam!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM

97 posts, read 232,977 times
He was probably out snipe hunting.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 PM

46 posts, read 79,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdreamin View Post
He was probably out snipe hunting.
or cow tipping...funny thing though.... he couldn't find a cow.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
I haven't been lost in the woods (or elsewhere, for that matter) for years. But I usually do the simple things. Score a tree, break a branch on a bush, take frequent bearings, carry a topo map, set up cairns of stones, and still carry my supplies and survival gear with me. And I STILL think I might get lost. But I think I could avoid it twice in one season.

The shame of getting lost once would probably keep me pretty close to home. I mean, seriously, can't you sight on the mountain and figure out east from west, north from south and the relative bearing you took to get to the site?

He forgot his compass, or what? Couldn't be bothered to mark his trail?

What a maroon!

YouTube - What A Maroon!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,270,159 times
Reminds me of an old joke.

Sarah and Todd are out hiking in the Alaskan interior. After a night of stimulating conversation under the stars, they wake up and realize that they are lost. Sarah is pissed: "Todd, I should have stayed back in Wasilla and sent Tweets instead." In the meanwhile Todd is trying hard to figure out just what their location is. Finally Todd remembers that he has a map. He lays it out on the grass. "Sarah, you're the expert, help me read this map." So expert map-reader Sarah is poring over the map, trying hard to decipher their current coordinates.

Finally, in a "Eureka!" moment reminiscent of Archimedes, Sarah pipes up, "I figured it! I know where we are!"

Todd is delighted, not to mention relieved. "Where darlin', where the f are we, Sarah darlin'?"

"You see that mountain over there?" says genius Sarah, pointing in the distance. "The map says we are on top of it."

Old 08-28-2009, 12:52 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Reminds me of an old joke.

Sarah and Todd are out hiking in the Alaskan interior. After a night of stimulating conversation under the stars, they wake up and realize that they are lost. Sarah is pissed: "Todd, I should have stayed back in Wasilla and sent Tweets instead." In the meanwhile Todd is trying hard to figure out just what their location is. Finally Todd remembers that he has a map. He lays it out on the grass. "Sarah, you're the expert, help me read this map." So expert map-reader Sarah is poring over the map, trying hard to decipher their current coordinates.

Finally, in a "Eureka!" moment reminiscent of Archimedes, Sarah pipes up, "I figured it! I know where we are!"

Todd is delighted, not to mention relieved. "Where darlin', where the f are we, Sarah darlin'?"

"You see that mountain over there?" says genius Sarah, pointing in the distance. "The map says we are on top of it."
Geeze, not only are you a poor teller of tales that lack a punch line or humor, your infacuation over Palin is unhealthy to boot.

You really need to come up here and head out to the Magic Bus... Will even give you directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska