Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I doubt so too, the cost to the taxpayers would outweigh any benefits, unfortunately....
There's been some internet chatter on the subject during the past year or so but the venue has been satirical. This one's pretty funny:

Satire: Closing Guantanamo - Page 2 - Blogcritics Politics

Quote:
There would be no need to use waterboarding as torture at this facility. Outdoor waterboarding would be nearly impossible because of ambient outdoor temperatures during much of the year. The most liberal thing to do would be to supply recreational opportunities as a substitute for water boarding.

Snow boarding would be a fun activity for these prisoners to learn. Take them to the top of the highest point on the island, preferably a rocky hill, and give them an opportunity to learn a new sport purely by experiencing it without instruction. There would be no need for interrogation of these happy prisoners. All of them would be interviewed by reporters for a new edition of Sports Illustrated – The Al Qaeda Edition. Photos of down hill surv... uh, winners would be published and distributed to all of the residents of the new facility.

Another recreational activity would be an opportunity to participate in the synchronized swimming team that trains on the side of the island that borders the Bering Strait. The strongest terrorist leader could be nominated to be the team member who has to hold his position longest in the routines. He would be permitted to start practice several hours early. It would probably be futile to question those happy campers about anything as their lips would be frozen shut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There's been some internet chatter on the subject during the past year or so but the venue has been satirical. This one's pretty funny:

Satire: Closing Guantanamo - Page 2 - Blogcritics Politics
I am not laughing at that Here I was thinking about upgrading or building a facility, power, heat, staff, ....

Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM

471 posts, read 1,063,024 times
haha thats funny. I cant see where it would be any more expensive shipping to Adak (we will just keep using that as an example) than it would be to ship to Cuba.

Not to mention it would greatly help a local economy out, I mean look at Adak, after that military base closed... the town went to hell... Opening up a new millitary base in one of those towns would be great for an Alaskan village.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
haha thats funny. I cant see where it would be any more expensive shipping to Adak (we will just keep using that as an example) than it would be to ship to Cuba.

Not to mention it would greatly help a local economy out, I mean look at Adak, after that military base closed... the town went to hell... Opening up a new millitary base in one of those towns would be great for an Alaskan village.
who says the village wants these...these....ahhh..gosh I can't come up with a good word for their kind..... there???

Old 01-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
who says the village wants these...these....ahhh..gosh I can't come up with a good word for their kind..... there???
Good question, and they may not... but considering how much money both the state and federal government put into these communities... I think that if the federal government wants to put a detention center a few miles out-side of a town... They are just going to have to get over it (right or wrong). Between the State and Feds most of these villages are completly subsidized... they cannot afford to lose that.

Last edited by teamcoltra; 01-10-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 03:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
One more nasty remark or off topic post, toward another poster, will get this thread deleted, and I'm going to start dishing out infractions. I have better things to do than sift trash. Keep it straight or keep it quiet.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
One more nasty remark or off topic post, toward another poster, will get this thread deleted, and I'm going to start dishing out infractions. I have better things to do than sift trash. Keep it straight or keep it quiet.
yes sir!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:00 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,780,950 times
I believe the terrorists will be here in Illinois, and I'm all for it. Gitmo did cost taxpayers plenty.
Keeping them here will create over 3000 jobs. Well paying jobs.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Well the Illinois senator was the one who proposed not having them there, and moving them to a bush village.. if I listen to my dad. Though upon further reading, it looks like the idea came from Palin, during an interview with Bill O.

:P Once again, my dad might just be dumb...

Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post

Ah, isn't that cute. You almost look like you know what you are talking about.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska